Sometimes Taiwanese are so inconsiderate

It’s less the government, but more the technological improvements in vehicles. Thanks, Tesla and Gogoro!

I used to hate on families in my building who could not keep their little one’s from making noise. Now that we have a toddler of our own wreaking havoc in our flat, throwing tantrums left and right, I get it. Sorry for not being more understanding in the past, dear neighbors!
:flushed:

4 Likes

It’s all about the government that allow these archaic noisy vehicles to be so prevalent.

1 Like

I don’t mind this staying to yourself for the most part, but with neighbors I think it’s a bit odd. There are some apartment folks I’ve seen for years but we don’t even nod to each other.

As for the queues, I think some of this is just a little bit of bu hao i su, in not wanting to draw attention to yourself. There was a girl in the queue behind me this morning. I knocked something over and she very nicely reached down and placed it back on the shelf at FamilyMart. I gestured at the package of chips but she wouldn’t make eye contact. I was going to thank her but I could tell she just wanted to be left alone. Bu hao i su stuff.

Sometimes in the US, I’m almost embarrassed (or maybe not ready socially is better) by all the small talk in lines and with the cashier. I do it. But it takes me about a week to get warmed up to how I did it in years past.

1 Like

That has not been my recent experience. Taking our 2-year old to the park, I find a lot of parents start talking to me. Mostly friendly and warm interactions.

1 Like

I suggest moving the fighters who task is to protect Taipei from Hsinchu back to Songshan airport, so that the people of Taipei can rest comfortably hearing the soothing afterburner rumbles as their defenders ascend into the sky every morning.

2 Likes

Seems in Southern Taiwan people like chat more. I do this here in Taiwan (if not in a rush) at Family Mart near me which is Family run locally so gossip like when will renovate your shop (7-11s around there are all renovated, this Family has two rows and three seats but busy!) or when I will get married, ect.

2 Likes

Never seen any small talk at any convenience store ever in Taiwan. Would be shocked. :slight_smile:

It’s not that people are intentionally unfriendly, it’s more they are shy and not used to starting conversations much.

1 Like

Come south and stay awhile, and you will notice a difference. Sometimes good sometimes not if you want be off by yourself. (Even have LINE contacts from store staff or cafes, for gossip or order or check if open)

2 Likes

Atleast in taipei i havent seen people generally talking to each other. Maybe other parts of taiwan is better idk but here in taipei its more of like "i dont know you and i dont wanna know you " culture. Going out and making friends with strangers is mostly what young people do but they are not really good at it either. For me everyone seems disconnected to people but connected to their gadgets more.

The convenience stores down South are massive compared to up North. I can see how the dynamic will be different down there. Much better if you speak Taiwanese though!

1 Like

Well as far as language, Chinese (Man) is best, but you may get a surprise. My local Family has High School co op or something like that, so I was surprised some speak decent English as its non academic school to a English guy trying buy tickets. Even the young student workers will chat (more so when the boss is not there haha)

OP is clearly venting, so let’s not attack them.

You could try buying a nice white noise machine for your room and turn it on at decently loud volume. This might be enough to suppress most of the cooking noise.

5 Likes

what if the white noise machine has this option?

1 Like

Yes, Taiwan is very loud. I needed a lot of time to adjust, but it did wonders to my tolerance for noise. I can sleep deep next to student party apartment now, and it was unimaginable years ago.

I wonder how young Taiwanese are vs young Koreans? Did you manage to get friends in your new environment. Focus on this

The problem is developing tolerance for noise will damage hearing. Which, in turn, enables more noise.

Taiwan is, of course, highly crowded so there will always be a lot of traffic noise, building noise etc. However, totally unnecessary noise such as loudhailers outside stores blaring out discounts on toilet paper on a loop tape are easily avoidable.

4 Likes

I just know compared to living in Beijing and Osaka - yes Taipei and its locals are really good at making noise - Taipei is a remarkably noisy place inside the home and out. Its neigbours regularly dropping heavy solid objects onto the floor above me that does my head in - I really do wonder how they can generate those kind of impacts, dropping bowling balls? I hear the Phillipines is even more noisy but dont know from personal experience.

I have been to Seoul for a week and much like Beijing and Osaka, it seemed very organised and peaceful despite being such a big city. If you have the chance to work/live there in Seoul yes give it a shot.

2 Likes

Interesting. Sounds like you’re just not used to the behavior of people here. Relax. Give it time. These are your people, dude! :laughing:

1 Like

I do, I am not saying they shouldn’t cook or not. I fully understand if some people are preparing foods to sell it.
The thing is when I first complained about it to the manager.
the noise did become lighter but it’s back on now which means they can do it but they simply don’t want to.

2 Likes

You need to just keep complaining then.

2 Likes

Great information Thank you !!
I am pretty sure it’s higher than the 40dB though, I usually sleep like a dead person plus my mom also wakes up with me when there is the noise, (I said it’s cooking but it sounds like mortar and pestle, maybe she is making a rice cake??) but I will record and measure it.
I guess the biggest problem is the noise normally stops within 10~20mins, so I am worried even if I called the police, they have nothing to do when they arrived here.

1 Like