Sometimes Taiwanese are so inconsiderate

I forgot to mention, you will need to call 0800-066-666 or use this app to get local environmental authority to come and measure the noise.

If it not higher than the environment noise by the amount of dB (say 47dB at residential zone 2) plus an error of 3dB, then they will not issue any punishments.

2 Likes

I’m pretty need a source of income isn’t a choice that many people can opt out off.

1 Like

Recently I’ve seen three examples of young and stupid people blasting their music in public (and natural) spaces.

1 Like

It seems odd that they would be cooking for a selling-cart style business if they live in a wealthy apartment complex. Though maybe they lost their job recently and now need to do it.

1 Like

i did find out some koreans are like that, and gosh its so rude for them to say that word !!
just now, i am with my mom here in the hospital i was asking the nurse and a random lady just crossed the line…
most asians are pretty nice to whites though.

1 Like

simple.
1.people are quiet in the library
2.If they bump into someone most of them say sorry
3. nurse or employees in the market are way way nicer
4. they dont usually cross the lines
5. hot soup are not taken out in a plastic bag. ( thats only for some restuarant though)
6. when they ask u to lower ur voice or musice they say sorry , most taiwanese just ignore it…
when my mom was buying a shoes, the owner say my mom is lucky to get married to a taiwanese man. she wouldnt believe that there are taiwanese who were born in other countries.
the good thing about taiwan is people doesnt really care about what u were

Interesting that the limit is that low. Per quick google, a conversation between adults is ~60 dB.
Was curious… do they measure this noise in your house or at the person that is complaining’s house?

Usually they just measure from outside the building, but I think sometimes they will measure from the house where the complaint is filed.

As I mentioned later, that noise level has to be in excess of the background noise. So if the background noise in a level 2 zone is around 40dB, then they will need to measure 90dB (40+47+3) when pointing the sound receiver at the neighbor’s house).

2 Likes

Ah ok, I misunderstood. But wow… 90 dB is pretty loud. Do you know if it has to be a consistent 90dB or occasional like perhaps dropping a pot or pan on accident to qualify as breaking the law. Or something sporadic like baby crying or dog barking.

If I understood @hansioux correctly, it’s not necessarily 90dB, but 50db (47+3) higher than the environment noise. Most residential places are quieter during the nighttime, so the noise level could be much lower and they still get the fine.

Um. You are also entitled to live in peace and not have your sleep disturbed. So yeh!

Hmm, this could be part of the problem here. The 暴發戶 are the worst. All of the entitlement, none of the refinement.

1 Like

That’s what I originally thought when I read the act, but then I saw these articles which seems to say it has to be higher than background noise.

The New Taipei Police article made it clear that if it’s a factory, entertainment business, or religious festivals making the noise, you should get the local environmental authorities to deal with it.

Other than those, if the noise is made by people, then you should contact local police instead.

1 Like

I recently had several MRT trips with people talking loud on their phones, like people discussing small business transactions etc. Not sure if I noticed this because for a few months it was eerily silent in the trains, I am getting older and easier to irritate, or I am finding myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I usually just move to another car.

2 Likes

I myself am getting up in years, yet I’m amazed by how many old people piss me off with their entitled attitudes and inconsiderate actions. I try to turn these into learning moments, telling myself, “Be kind and don’t end up a grouchy, rude old fart.”

I’m trying :grin:

9 Likes

Don’t get me started with old farting farts on the MRT…
:persevere:

4 Likes

Taiwan is uneccesarily noisy. People seem to be able to zone it out, but I still can’t.

11 Likes

The worst of the noise for me is the squeaking breaks of certain vehicles between 9pm and 5:30 am. After 6am, i can ignore it, but when it’s otherwise relatively quiet, I can’t stand it

5 Likes

It’s getting better, at least on the streets, with e-vehicles replacing gasoline ones.

If only they could find a way to tear down walls and redecorate bathrooms silently.

Went hiking in the hills close to Zhonghe in Taipei a few weeks ago. Was so nice to not hear any karaoke music from the usual places, thanks to Covid restrictions.

3 Likes

In twenty years it’s barely improved.
The government is useless.

Trucks also have the annoying beeping or voice saying ‘zhuyi anquan’ when turning.

Taiwan is incredibly noisy for a developed country.

Lots of neighbours complain about kids now though which is pretty cheeky. That’s because there’s so many old people here. I have had multiple neighbours jump to conclusions that it was my kids making noise when they weren’t even home, or in the morning when of course kids would be up and running around in the morning etc etc. They will leave notes taped on doors, knock rudely, complain endlessly to the security men .

I don’t find Taiwanese particularly friendly or warm at all, what the OP says is mostly true. When is the last time you saw a stranger or parents of kids talking to each other in a queue for instance ? They will give you more respect if they think you are an owner of somebody of means, that’s all.

The noise regulations are enforced differently in each community culture. OP needs to move to a community like the ones I have lived in where they are completely over the top now !

2 Likes