Soup kitchens in Taipei

Does anyone know if there are any soup kitchens in Taipei. I am referring to the ones that cater exclusively to homeless people. I have worked in several in the United States and am interested in donating my time and cooking experience at one (or several) here in Taipei.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Never heard of soup kitchens in Taiwan. I’ve seen homeless people sleeping in parks in the summer, but that’s rare, too. I think family support networks are much stronger here, and there isn’t such a rich-poor gap, fortunately! You can eke out a living much easier here.

I haven’t come across soup kitchens per se, but I know several charity groups prepare meals for the homeless and destitute and then deliver them on a set schedule where they are needed. The homeless don’t come to the kitchen - the kitchen goes to the homeless. So I would think you should inquire at the charity groups near you and ask if they need help with these sorts of activities.

Depending on what kind of visa you are … you can not just go and volunteer …

I have a JFRV through my Taiwanese spouse, so I am clear for volunteer work in Taiwan. You are correct. Without the proper visa you can find yourself in an awkward situation. When I first came to Taiwan I had a visa and ARC through the company I worked for. One Saturday, I was participating with a volunteer group. Our assignment was to pick up trash in the morning at some of the larger parks. A few of the volunteers received fines because they did not have the proper work permits. Luckily, the police did not approach me. This did not make sense to me. It is okay to throw trash in the parks (well, not okay but I haven’t seen anyone get a ticket for it), but once you start to pick up someone else’s garbage it will cost you money!

You should take a look under/around main station. Lots and lots of homeless.

I looked around a little bit and found a few things. I don’t have personal knowledge about any of them, and I don’t know whether this will help, but here’s what I found.

These first two posts are from the same thread:

viewtopic.php?p=1046757#p1046757

viewtopic.php?p=1063391#p1063391

This third post is from another thread:

Below is the URL for a list of Catholic churches in Taiwan, many of them using the name “mission.” A couple of churches that use that name are listed as being in Taipei. I don’t know which, or even if, any of the missions on the list make and serve meals, but because Catholic missions often provide food where I’m from, I’m guessing that at least some of them do the same thing here. Anyway, here’s the URL:

misas.org/paises/taiwan

You might get more detailed knowledge by sending private messages to the posters whose posts are cited above, and they might know of some places other than the ones they mentioned.

Hope this helps.

I’ve seen some bums sleeping on the qilou (騎樓) on Zhongxiao E. Road before, near the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial.

The Salvation Army is one of those groups that distributes lunch boxes to homeless people around Taipei Main Station.
salvationarmy.org.tw/web/489 … 82AAD04CC9

Yeh, be careful.

Taiwan has really wierd policies about volunteering and you can get into trouble for offering to help out, as I found out to my cost.

There is a soup kitchen in Whaing street near Taipei main station.