Sour cream, butter in big quantities, cheap

Where I can find sour cream in big quantities, cheap?
Anyone could recommend wholesaler or big farm where they produce diary product, sour cream and or butter specifically?

Non of these products are ‘cheap’ in Taiwan, even in big quantities.
But yes, you can get it cheaper in whole sale … at least cheaper than Wellcome or Carrefour

Are you talking larger quantities than, say, Costco?

I’ve never seen local butter here. Its all imported. Same with sour cream.
Cheapest butter is that disgusting stuff that comes in a can that local bakers use and gives all their products that horrible taste.

Yup.

Aw JEEZ that stuff is the WORST! BLOODY AWFUL FAKE crap labeled as butter; either that or it’s rancid or something. It should be outlawed!!!

Anyway, here are the prices the last time I checked, at Costco for your comparison:
sour cream NT$315 for 1360g ($231/kg) Costco
butter, salted 453g x 4 $285 ($157/kg) Costco

[quote=“sandman”]I’ve never seen local butter here. Its all imported. Same with sour cream.
Cheapest butter is that disgusting stuff that comes in a can that local bakers use and gives all their products that horrible taste.[/quote]

What they use is margarine … big 25 kg cans … and yes it has a horrible taste and smell, contains lots of preservatives and color and, and, and stuff … the canned butter is well as you said horrible too, it has a 25 year shelf life, is somewhat smaller canned, 1lb or so …

But it’s possible to buy local made cream for cooking, fresh as they say. Limited shelf life tho … and imported butter is sold per lb, per box, per 25 kg and sheets 1 kg I believe … and off course French butter, and butter from other European countries per 500g … NZ butter is also available …

I use exclusively unsalted butter … if I want it salted I just add salt … way better then buying salted butter, you’ll never be able to get the salt out … :whistle: :smiley:

[quote]Salted Butter vs. Unsalted Butter: What’s the Difference?

The obvious answer would be salt, right? Not so fast. A friend brought up the issue of salted versus unsalted butter, and I found myself explaining how salt is not the only difference between the two.

Salt is a preservative, and salted butter can last two to three months longer in the refrigerator than unsalted butter. So this actually means that salted butter is often much less fresh than unsalted, and sometimes has been made from cream that is less fresh as well.[/quote]

Something to think about.

I buy unsalted butter only, and yet doesn’t seem that ‘unsalted’.

Everybody back home (used to) makes their own butter. When I was growing up, cake was a luxury, and just before my b’day Mom would start collecting the cream with a vengeance day after day, little by little, and then churn the butter out…white fluffy stuff :lick: and although she only ever made a basic simple cake, the aroma, taste and texture forever lingers.

The best prices on butter that I’ve seen are at Costco. They also have large tubs of sour cream. Bakeshops (where ingredients are sold, not bakeries) often have things like that, too, at even better prices than Costco. Look for the smallish, hole-in-the-wall kinds of places, not the big shiny ones on main streets. Sometimes they’ll have stuff brought in just for you at a really good price.

Just what do you people (not running a restaurant) DO with the massive tubs of sour cream?! Butter lasts a long while, so that’s fine… but I bake and make Mexican food somewhat regularly, and sometimes I have trouble even finishing off one of the normal tubs. Is there an amazing use for sour cream that I’m missing? Or is there a fantastic long-term storage method you can share?

That’s what I was thinking. The baking shop near Minquan Bridge to Neihu, but on the Songshan side of the bridge (they’re exact address has been described in other posts on this forum), has really good prices on everything and they’re very friendly and helpful. I would think if you explained your needs to them they could get you a good deal.

Thank you for advice, why I looking for big quantities because I need for my small vending business where I will sell european food, I read at another post the price of sour cream at $159 for 1300g at Costco in Neigu. We went there last week and they were out of sour cream. (Wonder if I could ask them to give me a call when they receive fresh supply?) I stop by at mom and pap baking shop here in Yilan they didn’t have sour cream but had frozen cream Mr. Baker brand $120 for 907g and Vivo (Singapore) non frozen at $120 for 1100g, but I bought some other brand (no english name) $50 for 100ml and experimenting now to turn it into cream fraiche, it’s pasteurized I added yogurt to get bacteria to start process, we’ll see tomorrow… I also stop at one local vendor, they sell goat milk (pasteurized of course) she told me they buying from processing plant who in turn collecting goat milk from farm. I hope to find out this plant or farms names…
Does anyone tried this technics to make cream fraiche? youtube.com/watch?v=s003QBuL … re=related

And sometimes they’re much pricier than Costco. On average they’re about the same, but the differences can sometimes be large. For example:

(No guarantees these are accurate or up to date, but this is what I jotted down a couple months back)
sour cream $110/200ml =$[color=#0000FF]550[/color]/kg Minquan bridge DIY baking store
sour cream $315/1360g =[color=#0000FF]231/kg[/color] Costco

butter, salted 453g x 4 (4 pounds) $285 =$[color=#BF0000]157/[/color]kg Costco
butter, salted, 1 lb $115 = [color=#BF0000]253[/color]/kg 東湖 DIY baking store, Donghu

Btw, butter Unsalted 1 lb $120= 264/kg 東湖 DIY baking store, Donghu
and
whipping cream Payson Breton $159/liter Costco

If you’re a business, however, and need larger quantities, you can probably negotiate a lower price with them.