🇰🇷 South Korea | First timer going on vacation to South Korea

We will be taking a vacation to Seoul and Busan and I was looking for some tips as this is our first time there.

Where is the best place to exchange for Korean won? Is it as convenient as in Taiwan? Should I just pull $$ from an ATM?

My kids are already looking to purchase some Gentle Monster eyewear as they were told it’s way cheaper in Korea. My wife and daughter will be looking for beauty products. Are there any other things that one “must” buy either because they are cheaper in Korea or it’s just plain unavailable in Taiwan or in the USA?

Thanks!!

1 Like

Go to a Bank of Taiwan branch and get some Won there.

Some ideas:

• Korean ginseng
  • Soju
  • Kimchi
  • Korean Instant Noodles
  • Korean Snacks - Traditional Yakgwa (sweet honey cookies waffles)
  • Korean Paper (Hanji)
  • Traditional Korean Silk (or Hanji) Folding Fan
  • K-pop merch
  • Clothing , fashion and accessories

sources:

1 Like

Food, restaurants, streetfood i guess.

Seems like you can already buy everything else (snacks and stuff) in Taiwan .

How about enjoying some of those cold noodles engineered for the summer? I think they are called mul naengmyeon (물냉면). I’d be lining up my trip just to enjoy that dish! :yum:

Guy

1 Like

How old are you?

Ok, this is something I’d enjoy!

1 Like

I’m old…this is more for my college aged kids.

1 Like

I had the cold spicy noodles a few times and it’s delicious.

We also tried a fried dumpling or pancake type dessert called Hotteok. It’s filled with brown sugar and fried. The ones we had also had different types of seeds (pumpkin, sesame etc) This is our new addiction. :yum:

1 Like

I used to love kimchi on Korean stopovers in my youth. :clown_face:

Kimchi ladies, oh kimchi ladies, a fiery delight
Your pungent aroma, a flavor so bright
Cabbage and chili, fermented just right
A kick on the tongue and cheeks, both morning and night

I’ve had many types of kimchi over the years as I live in an area with a sizable Korean population but so far all the places here taste a lot better. The larger restaurants and the smaller ones all taste better than back home.

Oh, one thing I learned in Korea is when they say spicy on the menu they aren’t kidding!

1 Like