Southern Taiwan Earthquake 2/6/2016

Pretty sad about Tainan, it’s my favorite city on the island and it breaks your heart when you hear one of the dead was a 10 day infant and another a 6 year old girl. I definitely felt it in Taoyuan and knew it was a big one and it seemed like it lasted for a minute or so. Hoping the death toll stays low and no more damage in the aftershocks.

That’s because Banqiao isn’t in the SOUTH. :unamused:[/quote]

That post of mine, along with some other people’s posts that follow it, was split from the “Earthquakes 2015” thread. When I posted that post, I had no idea that a major earthquake was taking place in southern Taiwan. I thought I was simply reporting one of the small earthquakes that [strike]has[/strike] [edit: I should have written have] occurred from time to time since I’ve been in Taiwan.

However, I apologize if I misled anyone, and I will try to remember to avoid reporting small earthquakes in the future.

My post, along with some of the posts that follow it, were split from the “Earthquakes 2015” thread. When I posted that post, I had no idea that a major earthquake was taking place in southern Taiwan. I thought I was simply reporting one of the small earthquakes that has occurred from time to time since I’ve been in Taiwan.

However, I apologize if I misled anyone, and I will try to remember to avoid reporting small earthquakes in the future.[/quote]

Don’t mind the smarty pants, thanks to your post and how it felt here I realized the earthquake happen on a different direction, right at the moment instead of waiting to become an instant know-it-all after the news outlet chew the info for everybody else.

My post, along with some of the posts that follow it, were split from the “Earthquakes 2015” thread. When I posted that post, I had no idea that a major earthquake was taking place in southern Taiwan. I thought I was simply reporting one of the small earthquakes that has occurred from time to time since I’ve been in Taiwan.

However, I apologize if I misled anyone, and I will try to remember to avoid reporting small earthquakes in the future.[/quote]

Don’t mind the smarty pants, thanks to your post and how it felt here I realized the earthquake happen on a different direction, right at the moment instead of waiting to become an instant know-it-all after the news outlet chew the info for everybody else.[/quote]

Thanks, TexMex. I’m glad you got some use out of it, because I was actually beginning to wonder whether reporting the small ones did any good.

That post of mine, along with some other people’s posts that follow it, was split from the “Earthquakes 2015” thread. When I posted that post, I had no idea that a major earthquake was taking place in southern Taiwan. I thought I was simply reporting one of the small earthquakes that [strike]has[/strike] [edit: I should have written have] occurred from time to time since I’ve been in Taiwan.

Hope you keep telling us, any information, data, ect is better than nothing! This is Taiwan, feel free to post info unlike the mainland!

Way off topic, but you were right the first time…subject is singular (“one of the earthquakes”). :smiley:
So this is like, anti-grammar Nazi stuff? Grammar Communist?

1 Like

Way off topic, but you were right the first time…subject is singular (“one of the earthquakes”). :smiley:
So this is like, anti-grammar Nazi stuff? Grammar Communist?[/quote]

So I’m guilty of hypercorrection. Yikes!

Thanks, DKaohsuing!

Yep, I love it too. And I can’t watch the news anymore. If I see any more children crying and telling the rescuers that their daddy, mommy and sister/brother are still inside… I’ll have a heart attack.

There is this one kid, 3 year old approximately, I think, they couldn’t identify him, he can’t tell who he is or where he lived, and can’t find his parents. Earlier, there was a little girl, too, but her grandmother recognized her on tv and rushed from Kaohsiung to be by her side. Parents probably still inside…

The row of collapsed 17 storey buildings really haunts me. I am surprised the death toll isn’t hundreds or even a thousand from that building alone. To survive being in that fallen building is really a miracle.

And the 11 floor building that became 4 floors less. Anyone in a pancaked floor has little chance.

Whats more the rescuers are cheating death. An aftershock can happen any second. They have to try to crawl into each and every small space to see if anyone can be rescued there.

I am sure there are still a few trapped ones who are still alive. But may or may not be rescue-able.
They may be deep within a building.

The rescuers are very brave people. I hope everyone is safe.

Sorry for not making that clearer in the split CJ! I’ll correct that now.

1 Like

Poor buggers who are trapped: it’s so f’n cold.

There was an aftershock at 9:41. Strongest so far.

Death toll up to now: 16
In hospitals: 484 people hurt

They are still pulling people out alive.

Whoa, thanks, TG, but my mentioning the split wasn’t meant to be a dig. I don’t think you made a mistake. Anyway, thanks again, and for me, everything’s copacetic about that matter!

I know, thanks. Just sorry that you had to deal with responding to that, is all. :slight_smile: Always better to try to avoid such confusion. Happy New Year to you!

1 Like

Very considerate of you, thanks, and Happy New Year to you! :slight_smile:

Count so far: 21 dead. 135 still trapped in the building.

Yep, I love it too. And I can’t watch the news anymore. If I see any more children crying and telling the rescuers that their daddy, mommy and sister/brother are still inside… I’ll have a heart attack.

There is this one kid, 3 year old approximately, I think, they couldn’t identify him, he can’t tell who he is or where he lived, and can’t find his parents. Earlier, there was a little girl, too, but her grandmother recognized her on tv and rushed from Kaohsiung to be by her side. Parents probably still inside…[/quote]

I read of a woman who at the time she was interviewed her son was still missing, she was supposed to come stay with him for the holiday on Friday night but for some reason decided to wait until Saturday morning so she possibly averted death because she waited a few extra hours to come see him. I can’t imagine the feelings of pain and guilt that she must be going through,

More then 100 still trapped? Awful. Hope they are alive and will be rescued soon. In the cold and also there seems to be a lot of flooding as well from broken pipes?

I fear there will be a lot more bodies .

Fingers crossed.