Southern (U.S.) recipes

Real gravy. For real manly men. Not girly men, like housecat. Who is so girly, she’s a girl. Also, I put dirt in my rou.[/quote]
Rou? 肉? (Meat)

Or roux?

Roux, obviously. :laughing: But that’s a tough word to spell, and he’s probably put too much Jack Daniels in his rou (and roux), so it’s quite understandable.

Come on, red eye gravey ain’t girly. Girly is chocolate gravey, but that might just blow y’all’s minds!

And fried green tomatoes! My, oh my. How I miss them. Maybe I’ll make some for Thanksgiving.

He’ll roux the day…

Ahem! There’s a Mexican gravy called mole which contains chocolate. I dare you to call a Mexican chef ‘girly’ to his face! :wink:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Dragonbones”]Mom’s cornbread
Melt 1 stick of butter
[/quote]
I’ll definitely try this recipe. :lick: What’s a “stick” of butter?

Oh, and I eventually found out what “grits” are. :smiley:[/quote]
1/4 lb, 8 tablespoons, or about 110 grams.

Ahem! There’s a Mexican gravy called mole which contains chocolate. I dare you to call a Mexican chef ‘girly’ to his face! :wink:[/quote]
Mole also has peanuts in it; be careful (and aware) if you are allergic. Also, be sure to ask at Mexican restaurants if they put their mole sauce into any of their other sauces to spice them up. I almost died two years ago after eating enchiladas because of that addition.

Alright, well I’m from South Carolina so I suppose I’ve gotta make some contribution to this discussion. I’ll just post a couple links to searches on allrecipes.com. You can pick and choose which particular recipes you have the ingredients for. As a tip, look for the recipes with the highest number of ratings:

Macaroni and Cheese: allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.as … archIn=All

Barbecued baked beans: allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.as … archIn=All

Mustard Barbecue Sauce (South Carolina style!): allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Carol … etail.aspx

Whiskey BBQ sauce (ketchup based): allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bourbon-Wh … etail.aspx

And of course don’t forget coleslaw and potato salad to round out the feast!

[quote=“djm409”]Alright, well I’m from South Carolina so I suppose I’ve gotta make some contribution to this discussion. I’ll just post a couple links to searches on allrecipes.com. You can pick and choose which particular recipes you have the ingredients for. As a tip, look for the recipes with the highest number of ratings:

Macaroni and Cheese: allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.as … archIn=All

Barbecued baked beans: allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.as … archIn=All

Mustard Barbecue Sauce (South Carolina style!): allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Carol … etail.aspx

Whiskey BBQ sauce (ketchup based): allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bourbon-Wh … etail.aspx

And of course don’t forget coleslaw and potato salad to round out the feast![/quote]

I love djm409.

And housecat needs to change her profile pic asap or I will come over and throw up on her porch.

I gotta get me some liquid smoke

Jasons had it this summer. [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 6#p1150776](Liquid Smoke - #6 by Dragonbones

I’ve seen liquid smoke on amazon but honestly have no idea what it is. I’m sure you can skip this ingredient and your sauce will still turn out awesome! I’ve always got a bottle of this and the mustard sauce on hand for barbecues and as a dipping or glazing sauce. All my friends go crazy for the mustard sauce. As a warning, you’d best do this when no one is around. Your place will wreak of mustard for an hour or two! Can’t remember the recipe I posted from allrecipes for the mustard (i go by memory), but I can say that I like to add diced garlic and onions, as well as a bit of chilli. After letting it simmer for 15-20 minutes, I let it cool and then blend the mix with my hand blender. Consistency turns out nice and thick. Make sure to adjust the amount of mustard, vinegar, and sugar to your taste. I personally prefer a sweeter and spicier mix, so I tend to add a good bit of sugar. Oh, and don’t worry about using brown sugar. I use regular and mine is always great.

Speaking of pecan pie, I like this one I started using as it needs no corn syrup, easy as heck. i use 3/4 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of “hongtang” brown sugar

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pecan-Pie-V/Detail.aspx

I’m not talking about mole sauce, I’m talking about good old fashioned Chocolate Gravy!

Make like regular gravy, but add sugar and coco powder! CHOCOLATE gravy. I told you it would blow your minds.

I’ve seen liquid smoke on amazon but honestly have no idea what it is. I’m sure you can skip this ingredient and your sauce will still turn out awesome! [/quote]
Liquid smoke is just what it sounds like; it’s a liquid that contains all the volatile aromatics of “smoked” food… you know the difference in the smell of cooked hamburger that you’ve browned on the stove in a pan vs. an actual char-grilled hamburger? That difference in aroma is what is contained in liquid smoke. Interestingly, a few studies have been done and humans do respond at a visceral level to the smell of meat cooking on fire, even people who are vegetarians.

Sauces calling for liquid smoke will NOT taste the same without it, because they will be missing that smoky, char-grilled taste. That’s like saying hot sauce will taste just fine without the peppers or the vinegar! Um, no, by very definition, it’s impossible.

It seems many people in Taiwan don’t LIKE the smell or taste of char-grilled meat, so maybe it would be just fine to skip it if they are your intended audience. Many ex-pats are probably bigger on grilling and would like that flavor in a sauce. I know I do, but then, my family cooks on our gas grill at least once or twice a week all year round. :lick:

Ah, Liquid Smoke.

If anyone has ever eaten at Tony Romo Ribs in the states, they soak all their ribs a day in liquid smoke to give them the BBQ taste as well as make them tender.

But if you want tender fall off the bone tender pork, either boil it for an hour before you BBQ it or better yet, smoke it with a smoker for 10 hours. If you have never had slow cooked meats cooked in a smoker you have not had meat before. I made some for my wife’s parents and guests one day and they are all Taiwanese. They ate it like pigs. :laughing:

Minquan bridge DIY baking supply store and Wellman’s

Minquan bridge DIY baking supply store; but Costco is cheaper

Minquan bridge DIY baking supply store; 1 bottle left as of today
(Edit: Wellman’s has it too, $160/bottle)

Minquan bridge DIY baking supply store, about $8k, Dr. Goods brand

I gotta get over there and check it out this week.