Southern (U.S.) recipes

It seems to me we need a thread collecting some good ol’ fashioned Southern recipes, from hopping john, biscuits, breakfast sausages and cornbread, to jambalaya, Southern fried chicken, shrimp creole, hush puppies, blackened catfish, grits and barbecue. C’mon, y’all! :slight_smile:

I’ll start: here’s my Mom’s Shrimp Creole.

First, steam some white rice with wild rice mixed in.
Next, cook 4 strips bacon until crumbly. Reserve bacon, and keep grease in pan. In grease, sauté 1 pound of chopped onions, 1 large bell pepper, 3 cloves garlic minced, ½ med. bunch celery chopped. Put in large pot with 28 oz of tomatoes, plus 1.5 tomato cans full of water, 3.5 oz catsup, 1 TBSP sugar, S&P, ½ tsp hot sauce, 1 TBSP Worc. sauce, 1 small chopped hot vinegar pepper, and a little of the vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and gently simmer for 3 HOURS.
Meanwhile, precook shrimp in seasoned water, then cool and clean: 2 POUNDS (1.3 斤 or 600 gms) large shelled, deveined, tail-off shrimp.
Add 3 oz tomato paste to tomato sauce. Simmer 15 minutes more.
Add the shrimp. Simmer 15 minutes more. Add 3 TBSP bacon grease. Serve hot over rice (with wild rice mixed in), with a strip of bacon crumbled atop each serving. Serves 4 generously.

I have a simple recipe for fried hominy. Problem is finding hominy in Taiwan.

There is something I have not had for quite some time.

Now I want it.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s hominy.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]It seems to me we need a thread collecting some good ol’ fashioned Southern recipes, from hopping john, biscuits, breakfast sausages and cornbread, to jambalaya, Southern fried chicken, shrimp Creole, hush puppies, blackened catfish, grits and barbecue. C’mon, y’all! :slight_smile:

I’ll start: here’s my Mom’s Shrimp Creole.

First, steam some white rice with wild rice mixed in.
Next, cook 4 strips bacon until crumbly. Reserve bacon, and keep grease in pan. In grease, sauté 1 pound of chopped onions, 1 large bell pepper, 3 cloves garlic minced, ½ med. bunch celery chopped. Put in large pot with 28 oz of tomatoes, plus 1.5 tomato cans full of water, 3.5 oz catsup, 1 TBSP sugar, S&P, ½ tsp hot sauce, 1 TBSP Worc. sauce, 1 small chopped hot vinegar pepper, and a little of the vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and gently simmer for 3 HOURS.
Meanwhile, precook shrimp in seasoned water, then cool and clean: 2 POUNDS (1.3 斤 or 600 gms) large shelled, deveined, tail-off shrimp.
Add 3 oz tomato paste to tomato sauce. Simmer 15 minutes more.
Add the shrimp. Simmer 15 minutes more. Add 3 TBSP bacon grease. Serve hot over rice (with wild rice mixed in), with a strip of bacon crumbled atop each serving. Serves 4 generously.[/quote]

This sounds great, but where do I go about finding “real” bacon in Taichung?

Mom’s cornbread

Melt 1 stick of butter; let cool.
Beat 4 eggs.
Add to the eggs and blend well:
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. sugar
1.25c. milk
1 Tb. fresh baking powder
2 c. corn meal
1 c. flour
Add the cooled butter and mix well.
Spread into a large, well-greased rectangular baking pan.
Bake at about 400F for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

Serve with softened butter.

=============

Mom’s Hopping John

Dice enough leftover smoked ham for two people. Sauté in a little bacon grease with one medium onion, diced. Add 1 large clove of diced garlic and ½ c. raw rice. Sauté all.
Add 1/2c of the liquid from a can of black-eyed peas, then add the peas, drained.
Add a little black pepper. Salt probably won’t be needed as the peas and ham are salty, but taste and adjust.
Stir all together well, place in rice steamer (note: hers has a lower level for the water, not mentioned here) and cook until tender. Serve with salad and crusty bread.

==================

Mom’s Pecan Pie

In saucepan, mix:
1 c. sugar
1 c. dark Karo
1 stick butter
good pinch salt

Cook to the consistency of thick custard.

Beat 3 eggs and add:
3 scant Tbs. flour
1/2 c. evaporated milk
2 tsps. vanilla, real
Blend well.

Scatter 1 heaping cup of pecans over an unbaked 10" pie shell (shallow) and pour the above mixture on top.
Bake near bottom of oven at 400F for 10 minutes, then reduce to 325F for 1/2 hour or until knife comes clean at center. Cool on rack.

If you want more specifically Louisiana recipes this website is hard to beat.

gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

I haven’t tried all of them, but I can vouch for the gumbo, shrimp creole and jambalaya.

There is something I have not had for quite some time.

Now I want it.[/quote]
Do I need to haul some back from the US? Damn, that’s some heavy stuff.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Mom’s Pecan Pie

In saucepan, mix:
1 c. sugar
1 c. dark Karo
1 stick butter
good pinch salt

Cook to the consistency of thick custard.

Beat 3 eggs and add:
3 scant Tbs. flour
1/2 c. evaporated milk
2 tsps. vanilla, real
Blend well.

Scatter 1 heaping cup of pecans over an unbaked 10" pie shell (shallow) and pour the above mixture on top.
Bake near bottom of oven at 400F for 10 minutes, then reduce to 325F for 1/2 hour or until knife comes clean at center. Cool on rack.[/quote]
:lick:

Question: Where in Taiwan can you get a pie crust? Pecans? Karo syrup?

And who has an oven???

[quote=“Chris”]
Question: Where in Taiwan can you get a pie crust?[/quote]

make it, easy, except the recipes i know call for crisco which is kind of a pain

costco for one, cheapest i’m sure

that’s a good one. wellman’s i’m sure, anywhere else? i’ve made a few pecan pies but always have to look for recipes without corn syrup as i never have any. i may as well get some when i get the crisco at wellman’s i guess

a cheap convection job will handle a pie fine

make it, easy, except the recipes I know call for crisco which is kind of a pain[/quote]

You can change that to butter. And you can get Crisco at Wellman’s.

costco for one, cheapest I’m sure[/quote]

Yup.

that’s a good one. wellman’s I’m sure, anywhere else? [/quote]

Wellman’s. But you can probably try substituting other sugar syrups. :idunno:

a cheap convection job will handle a pie fine[/quote]

Yup; get one used from someone who’s leaving the island, for maybe NT$1500. There’s a thread on ovens. And only slightly larger, stainless ovens with double glass, heavier duty construction OR rotisserie and convection fan run around $8k. I like the Dr. Goods oven which you can get from DIY baking shops like the one under the Minquan bridge, as it gets hot enough to bake very good artisan breads and pizza, especially with a long preheat and cast iron pans or a dutch oven. DO measure your cabinet space first, and do note that the sides and back get hot and shouldn’t be in contact with anything plastic.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Mom’s cornbread
Melt 1 stick of butter
[/quote]
I’ll definitely try this recipe. :lick: What’s a “stick” of butter?

Oh, and I eventually found out what “grits” are. :smiley:

Red Eye Gravey

Two cups coffee
12 TBSPs or so all puropose flower
Two or three TBSPs Bacon or sausage grease

add flour a bit at a time to greese stirring to make a gravey rou, then add coffee and simmer, stiring constantly, until it thickens.

Half a cup, or 113.4g, or a quarter pound

Half a cup, or 113.4g, or a quarter pound[/quote]
Thank you, Sir. :bow:

[quote=“housecat”]Red Eye Gravey

Two cups coffee

add flour a bit at a time to greese stirring to make a gravey rou, then add coffee and simmer, stiring constantly, until it thickens.[/quote]
Sounds interesting. Does it taste good?

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“housecat”]Red Eye Gravey

Two cups coffee

add flour a bit at a time to greese stirring to make a gravey rou, then add coffee and simmer, stiring constantly, until it thickens.[/quote]
Sounds interesting. Does it taste good?[/quote]

Little salt and pepper and couple of buttermilk biskuits–damn straight it tasts good! I’d do half coffee / half milk though for creamier gravey.

Crushed tomatoes, pork fat, brown sugar, flour, Jack Daniels. Prepare a week before the meal, let set in the fridge.

What the heck is that?

Real gravy. For real manly men. Not girly men, like housecat. Who is so girly, she’s a girl. Also, I put dirt in my rou.