Spinach Can Be Unhealthy - Hard to be Healthy Sometimes

Wanna see the ditches they come from and the house septic tank outlets just “upstream”?

Oil, garlic and sodium make everything in life acceptable :slight_smile:

Add in sugar and alcohol and you know my life philosophy.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/11/22/dont-eat-romaine-lettuce-californias-salinas-valley-cdc-warns/

I’m pretty sure all the romaine we get here comes from California, so…

(article may be paywalled, sorry)

Wait, what’s romaine in Mandarin? 大陸妹?A菜?

The Mrs has just informed me that all the romaine we get is local.
So just read the bag.

@Icon button off.

羅曼葉

What. So it’s not even really in our regular rotation!

It’s actually pretty popular these days. You can get it all over.

Some is, the one from Costco is not. Wellcome can change. Some is from hydroponics ‘farms’.

:roll_eyes:

I always buy locally grown Romaine lettuce. TBH the American is a bit better IMO, crispier and not so pale. However, how they get them like that and keep them that way on the journey over is worrisome.

1 Like

This reminds of my dear mom, who, bless her should, bathes lettuce in Clorox because she read someone somewhere found a slug in one… and then she wonders why I avoid eating her salad.

1 Like

Bleaching things is pretty common in food :frowning: sprouts are a commin one as they are pretty easy to have bacterial problems. Sulphurs, lye etc are used in really a lot of things these days.

1 Like

Back home on the farms, at the river, at the cabin, on the boat, and other places where water may be suspect for some reason like hasn’t been used very often, people occasionally put bleach in the water 6 to 8 drops I think it was.

And sometimes add to the water for cleaning the vegetables but not all the time. I think it depends on the source and where it’s been and how dirty it might be.

1 Like

Ya thats a good point. Lots of places treat water with chlorines. Even taiwan in some areas that have piped water that “can be used as drinking water” i smell it here on the piped homes after the gov shuts down for maintenance then resumes it.

Sounds bad but i think this is a case where a little bit of unhealthy prevents a whole lot of unhealthy.

No farmer is going to treat his irrigation pond though!