Spinach Can Be Unhealthy - Hard to be Healthy Sometimes

Sometimes hard to be healthy.

I’ve made some raw spinach shakes lately just blending up a few cups with some blueberries and starting researching and see that spinach in general has high level of oxalic acid which can contribute to kidney stones.

And then raw or cooked as distinctly different benefits.

Raw Spinach Benefits: There is no need to shun raw spinach simply because it contains oxalic acid. It is also rich in many essential nutrients, some of which are more available to our bodies when we consume them raw. These nutrients include folate, vitamin C, niacin, riboflavin, and potassium.

Cooked Spinach Benefits: When you eat spinach that has been heated, you will absorb higher levels of vitamins A and E, protein, fiber, zinc, thiamin, calcium, and iron. Important carotenoids, such as beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, also become more absorbable.

3 Likes

I actually just had my kidney stones blasted out yesterday. I’m in the process of pissing them out right now. I eat tons of water spinach and sweet potatoes, which are also dangerously high in oxolates. The doc told me to drink water with lemon/lime and cool with oxolates foods.

Having kidney stones aren’t an indication of having unhealthy kidneys though. My kidneys are the healthiest the docs seen in Taiwan for someone my age.

doctors note telling me to avoid eating too much meat/beans.

1 Like

Taiwan… the country where spinach are water spinach and don’t have iron but rust.

#foreignerswhocomplainabouttaiwanbutdontleavebecausetheyareaddictedtoupskirtphotography

Water Spinach is considered a “Class A noxious weed” in the USA and is dangerous because the hollow stems can contain parasites and other hazards.

They said that about cannabis too.

2 Likes

What was the reference to microbiota about ?

For every food that you think is healthy there are at least 1000 studies that says it’s very unhealthy and don’t eat that, poison, etc…

Best not eat at all…

I hear the withdrawal symptoms can be deadly.

Your daily spinach shake, even with those, is likely healthier than 95% of all other drinks we have throughout the day.

Healthy foods always have something that isnt good in quantity. They come as a package but in no way makes them an unhealthy food as such.

If anything ecoli and the like is likely a bigger issue with spinach and other greens.

1 Like

Only where there are massive multi-acre feedlots where thousands of cows are standing around basically shitting directly into the ground water source.
At least one thing we don’t need to worry about here.

Unless Doc follows the order to be fruitful and multiply – then we’re in trouble! :hushed:

Oh, I only eat cooked Spinach. Spinach cooked with Penne Pasta Alfredo is really good.

1 Like

You forgot to add as to how many people of your age has he actually seen:grin:

Now I feel bad. Thanks crusher :pensive:

1 Like

Chinese water spinach, or kangkong - eaten across Asia, a weed in the US

How does this help to prevent kidney stones? Curious because I drink lemon-infused water all the time not realizing it had any particular health benefits.

The Spanish are mostly not unhealthy. With their Mediterranean diet, they are among the healthiest people in the world.

pssst…I think it means the language rather than the nationality there, China…:wink:

1 Like

Good doc!

1 Like

In Taiwan water spinach arrives at the shops sparkling clean. I don’t think I’ve seen a spec of dirt on it, every time I’ve cooked it. They must have a serious washing setup for those things before they go out to retail land.