Spinning music/dj-ing at a lounge/bar/club in taipei - how can i?

hey dj, would you play that song for me, all night long…

yo, i want to spin music in taipei…i used to dabble in spinning a little bit (yi dian dian) back home and i’d like to just get my feet wet here. i don’t need to get paid - the experience would be pay enough - and i wouldn’t mind spinning during the week. i just want to get on the tables as much as possible.

i’d like to spin pretty much anything. basically, i want to chop chopin into some jay-z and drop some breakbeats under it. but i’d also like to rock the crowd.

if you know of anyone who’s looking for a dj or know of anyone i should talk to, please let me know…please!!!..

embryopoet

Give me a PM and we can talk.

I helped out miltownkid’s baby browhen he came through Taipei.
Also set up one of his friends from LA.

Head down to Citizen Cain…

It’s a small lounge bar, they’ll probably let you play some night.

67 Dong Feng St, south of Renai Circle.

michael

I’m desperate to get my fav DJ Jelo into Taipei. Of course the club would have to sponsor his trip and pay for his time. Anyone know anyone?

Let us know if you get the gigigigigigigig
so we can hear you play! good luck !

Jelo is not nearly a big enough name for a club to book…

Most clubs here prefer DJs from the UK, anyway.

If you really dig his DJing (and i have no idea why, I heard him play once in Toronto, he didn’t mix his records at all, just played them) then throw your own party, and pay for it yourself.

oh please mmmichael we all know that Jelo is one of the best technical djs in Canada. Hence the cudos from Carl Cox, Donald Glaude, and Anne Savage. Hence the cds, tapes, radio show, internet show, vinyl, magazine features, and gigs around the world.
Which party was it that you were at and “he didn’t mix”?
I’d like to know mmichael

Citizen Cain is a good start. House and breaks should do well there.

As for Jelo. If I were to book DJs from Canada, Dekoze would be my first choice following by DJ Czech.

Dekoze rocks. We did “poppers” together…NEVER again!

It’s not exactly something you brag about on a public discussion forum…

I have no interest in DJs who receive kudos from Carl Cox or Anne Savage.

I also have no interest in Djs who play progressive house and progressive techno.

The party where i observed Jelo not mixing records was at Club Shanghai, in Toronto. He was DJing with another DJ, unknown, on 4 turntables, and two mixers. Now, usually, when DJs do this (and i have a lot) you can at least manage to get TWO records playing at the same time. Good DJs can of course get 3 or 4 playing at the same time.

They only managed to have one record playing, between the two of them. Sometimes 2 records, for about 10 seconds or so.

I’m sure he’s a fine DJ.

michael

[quote=“Muffin”]embryopoet

Give me a PM and we can talk.

I helped out miltownkid’s baby browhen he came through Taipei.
Also set up one of his friends from LA.[/quote]

Yeah! Muffin was on top of the game (many thanks!) :smiley:

[quote=“mmmmichael”]If you really dig his DJing (and I have no idea why, I heard him play once in Toronto, he didn’t mix his records at all, just played them) then throw your own party, and pay for it yourself.[/quote]Hey now, we all know that programing is BY FAR more important then technical beatmatching when it comes to DJing, but I’ve never heard of this guy so I can’t really say one way or the other :wink:

The guys down at Citizen Cain are really cool and usually pretty open, and the crowd there seemed pretty accepting as well.

Good Luck!

Email brian@2thebeat.com for Jelo’s new CD Scarlem Sessions. You wont be dissapointed. 3 tables! Live.