Sports and Rec Photos, Videos and Stories live from Taiwan

After living in Taiwan for a few years, I’ve accumulated a rather large collection of photos. I’ve put together a website to highlight some of them - most are from Taiwan, but there are a few from my travels around Asia. I’ve recently added a few videos as well (Hiking at DaBaJian Shan, Surfing in DaHsi/TouCheng, Biking in Hsintien, etc.) - lots to look at if you’re interested in the sporting and/or cultural scene in Taiwan.

To make it a little more interesting, I’ve also added a photo contest - if you’ve got a few extra minutes, take a look at:

dennisflood.com/special/

You can find the rest of the photos, videos and stories on the main site at:

dennisflood.com/

Happy Holidays,
Dennis

Nice photos. I’ve been taking a shot here and there myself over the past few years in Taiwan and elsewhere:

http://www.poagao.org/pphotos.htm

Obviously my web design skills are a bit lacking, but there certainly is a lot of raw material to work with on this island, photographically speaking.

Wow, Dennis, I love your pictures. Do you give classes? :wink:

I love to take pictures but keep using the “automatic” function of my Canon Eos 500 :blush:

I haven’t voted yet because I couldn’t decide on which pictures to choose. I need some more time.

Iris

Beautiful photos Dennis!

Thanks for the positive comments! I certainly don’t give classes (my ego hasn’t blown up to that extent quite yet), but I would recommend that you just keep taking photos. I haven’t taken any classes, but have invested some time into reading about photography, looking at as many photos as I can, and shooting lots of film. Iris, I use a 20 year old fully manual Nikon camera - automation would be nice in some situations, but it isn’t really the technology that makes the photo … Poagao, you’ve got a boatload of interesting things on your site - any of your films internet-able?

Dennis

Only one of them at the moment. Ifilm crapped out on me a while ago, but you can see “The End” now at http://www.triggerstreet.com Just do a search for it; registration is required but relatively painless and worth it to see many good films on there, or at least many better than mine. Triggerstreet is a site for Indie filmmakers set up by Kevin Spacey, a really good idea I think.

Hello Dennis!

The photos you have on your site are great. I can see you’ve been to many places, including my home New York City. I’ve been working on getting expats in Taiwan together to create videos of life in Taiwan. So far only about 10 people are working with us to create two videos for streaming from our site www.wdevn.com . Also, a person in Southern Taiwan has shown interest in putting together a weekly or monthy video show for WEB streaming.

If it is possable, could we stream the videos you’ve created and place on our streaming servers? It would be great to find more expats in Taiwan that are willing to show how life in Taiwan really is.

Do you know of other expats in Taiwan with intrest such as yours. Maybe we all can put something together on the WEB to share with orhers.

WDEVN - Sounds interesting, but I’d like a little more information. Please send me a note at videos@dennisflood.com and give me some more details about your site. Thanks,

Dennis

Further follow up – thanks to everybody who has taken a few minutes to look at my site. My traffic has been way up since I made the first post. If you are still interested in taking part in the contest, it is of course free (alas there are no real prizes), but voting ends on Saturday, January 11th. Thanks,

Dennis

dennisflood.com/special/

Final follow up - the votes have been tabulated, and the results have been posted at:

dennisflood.com/special/results.htm

Dennis

Poagao,

Very interesting website. I was especially intrigued by your time in the Taiwanese army…that must have been quite an experience. Were there other white people in the military? I thought that if you’re white, you didn’t have to go even if you we’re an ROC citizen…there must also have been like a million ways you couldn’ve gotten out of the service, why did you decide to join?

Where can I get a copy of your book?

Oh yeah, in the online chapter you said that the Whampoa military academy was near shanghai…i am pretty sure it was in Guandong province on the other side of China.

What’s this all about? The guy who started WDEVN says on his own website he is living in ‘‘Chinese Taipei.’’… Doesn’t he mean Taiwan?

And he used to study in Beijing. And his goal is "of sharing the culture, language and history of the Chinese people with the western world to help further create an on-line global community as stated by the Chinese proverb “Four Seas, One Family.”

is this guy a fifth columnist for the Beijing commies or what?

Please explain, sir. THis is NOT ''Chinese Taipei ‘’ you are living in. this is not even GREATER CHINA for that matter, Christine! This is the free and independent country of Taiwan. If you don’t believe that or understand this, you are misleading Segue with your site. Confess!

HE WROTE on his website: (I can’t believe it!)

The WDE (now WDEVN) is the Republic of China’s oldest English based WEB bulletin board system. Started in 1987, as a direct dial-up text based electronic bulletin board system, WDE is where expatriates as well as the local Chinese [should read local Taiwanese] community shared cultural exchanges, shareware files and computer related information.

FOUNDER
WDE was founded by Mr. James Thomas. Mr. Thomas, originally from New York City, pursued a degree in Chinese mishistory and unculture from Beijing Capital University is currently residing in [WHERE?] Chinese, Taipei (ROC). WHAT THE FUCK? Mr. Thomas is embracing the goal of sharing the culture, language and history of the Chinese [what about the Taiwanese people Mr Thomas, sir?] people with the western world to help further create an on-line global community as stated by the Chinese proverb “Four Seas, One Family.”

CHINA IS NOT ONE FAMILY, MR fifth columnist!

Well said Formosa,
Could it be rather than politically-driven, a case of sucking up to China for potential business expansion in the future? I’m reminded of the editorial stance of English-school magazines such as Global Village’s “Global Voice.” It has plans of expanding into China so won’t allow any negative comment on the mainland or anything championing Taiwan independence. Cowards.
As much as Taiwanese love their country, they love money more.

wow, thanks for the Global Villag info Almas John! Amazing. Yes, damned cowards!

I always find it very creepy when people refer to themselves in the third person, and especially when they use the courtesy title “Mr” when doing so. Eurgh !

[quote=“aceman”]Were there other white people in the military? I thought that if you’re white, you didn’t have to go even if you we’re an ROC citizen…there must also have been like a million ways you couldn’ve gotten out of the service, why did you decide to join?

Where can I get a copy of your book?

Oh yeah, in the online chapter you said that the Whampoa military academy was near shanghai…i am pretty sure it was in Guandong province on the other side of China.[/quote]

I didn’t know any other white people in the army personally, though there was one guy from Indonesia in our company.

Before I was drafted, I had thought that perhaps the color of my skin might result in my not having to go. Guess I was wrong. It’s just as well, though, as that’s a pretty stupid and potentially embarassing reason.

The Chinese version should be coming out in a month or two. I don’t have an English-language publisher yet, so I don’t know when that will be out.

I know, I keep meaning to change the sample chapter. It’s from an early, unedited version, before the mistake was corrected.