🏃‍♀️ 🏃 Sports | Are Youth Sports Killing Kids?

Here’s some bad and sad news:

He’s not the first by a long shot. But there have been more than a few dead young athletes in the past year or two. The youth sports industry is a meat grinder. My kid’s legs still bother him four years after track, high jumping and long jumping. And he never made it to State level competition.

This is exactly why I chose video games over sports.

#stayhome

5 Likes

It’s about balance. Is why I liked skiing in my single days and later teen years. You can do a mogul run and then drink and shag in a chalet! :laughing:

College sports should not exist in the manner that they do. It promotes the sacrifice of the mission of higher education for the sake of name, and monetary gain.

Basically a scam

:popcorn:

2 Likes

It’s very possible that Bronny had/has an undiagnosed heart condition. As for your son, he probably should have listened to his body those years ago and cut back on his training/practice intensity. I don’t think it’s really fair to blame it on the system unless his coach ignored your son’s concerns. I’d be curious to know as to what ailments he still encounters 4 years after all his training has concluded.

I’d hazard a guess that not doing youth sports kills more, over time.

1 Like

I think killing is a bit much as these are most likely just freak events. I don’t think it was the case that he was pushed beyond the safety of the kids.

What I see as one of the main harms to kids is that kids now specialize in sports very early and all the data shows that they’re much more likely to suffer injury issues vs multi sport athletes. I always encourage kids to play multiple sports.

3 Likes

An increase in ‘died suddenly’. Nothing to see here.

3 Likes

I see what you did there… :sweat_smile:

I know that the example is basketball but it does seem like the most egregious one by a long shot is American football, with head injuries

1 Like

I was feeling the muse, apparently. :smiling_face: