šŸƒ šŸƒā€ā™€ļø Sports | Trans Athletes

If you were to start your career as an athlete, you would have to do an standardised performance test and based on that and maybe previous performance in clubs tournaments etc. you would be given a score. This score would determine the tier in which you could start your career. From that on it would be up to you and your future performance to rise up to higher leagues or not.

There would have to be alterations depending on what sport you want to do. And of course the highest performing athletes would end up in one of the big teams like Manchester, Munic or Barca.
Edit:
Itā€™s hard to create an all encompassing and totally fair system for everyone and everything but itā€™s an idea to think about

I canā€™t see clubs completely changing their system to accommodate trans athletes. Thereā€™s nothing in it for them, and nothing in it for me as a fan.

They already do their own scouting and have their own system of evaluations for players. Athletes canā€™t be just ranked by numbers on a paper. Thereā€™s too much intangible involved or else there would not be scouts and everyone would just use numbers on a paper.

What youā€™re talking about is something we do for children to make teams. Coaches give kids a basic evaluation and give them a ranking. They put together teams with the desire to make most fair teams based on that. But the point here isnā€™t to win or to make money entertaining.

2 Likes

Sure that model is far from perfect. And there are certainly better ways to handle trans athletes.
I as a fan would honestly not care if my team was ma mixed team. An exceptionally good female player in my favourite football team? Why not if it works out.

Thereā€™s nothing to prevent this as far as I know right now, at least in North American sports.

I think you under estimate the difference in male and female performance at the top. HS boys crushes US World Cup female teams. Thereā€™s not going to be mix teams. Thereā€™s nothing that prevents it now in North America. Teams have always tried to get 1 female but they all have failed.

1 Like

In most European leagues there is a gender segregation. Iirc a female football player had to get written permission from the Association to play in a male team since there were no female teams in her town.
And what you describe is selection by performance. A MtF athlete could play in a top tier team, if her performance would be sufficient, right?

In which case, why is there an issue with MtF athletes competing in womenā€™s sports? They should continue competing in menā€™s sports.

3 Likes

I think the reality right now is MtF is never going to be fair for womenā€™s league. I donā€™t see any issues of them playing for the menā€™s league.

At the end of the day. Thereā€™s not a pool of trans athletes teams are missing out on. Itā€™s not like the negro leagues. If there were, why would teams not sign them if they can help them win?

The same for women. If they could help a team win, any team would Try sign them.

2 Likes

Because in Europe, if youā€™re legally are a woman, youā€™re barred from male teams. So they have to stick to the female teams, which is unfair for the ones who have to compete against them.

I guess they should change that rule. I donā€™t see why FtM or MtF or a woman shouldnā€™t be able to compete with boys and men if they could.

Iā€™m just not willing to allow MtF compete with women and girls. I think that would be detrimental to women playing sports.

That was my whole point I wanted to make.
Iā€™d like to see a system where strong players can play together and weak players are sort of protected, regardless of the gender.

I didnā€™t know that was the case. If so, organisations like UEFA need to have their asses sued.

I know that in cricket the rules allow women to play. I know women can play in menā€™s golf, because Iā€™ve seen it happen. Similarly with snooker and darts. Which male sports ban women from competing, do you know?

Football (soccer in the us), handball, tennis (if it isnā€™t a mixed double) and american football have this rule.

1 Like

Women can play in the NFLā€¦at least one has had a tryoutā€¦as a kicker.

Iā€™m talking about Europe. Each country has itā€™s own association there.
I.e. the american football association of germany just allowes players to play in mixed teams until the age of 15.

Where is it for tennis? Again, it seems that women can compete in ATP?

Like I said, Iā€™m referring to the situation in Europe and especially in Germany. Other countries may have different rules for that.
The German tennis federation allowes mixed doubles in ranked matches. Ranked 1v1 is always played between the same gender afaik.

Itā€™s definitely not right than women should not be allowed to compete in menā€™s sports, with the exception of health and safety issues.

2 Likes

I think @FenjaJie has sufficiently explained it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m using the word ability in the practical sense, i.e. what people are demonstrably capable of.

When it comes to assuming that people of a certain physiology (weight range, height range or what have you) will outperform others, ymmv depending on how much advantage is gained in that particular sport from physiology vs. training.

My daughter does taekwondo and I really donā€™t like the thought of her competing against a male, even someone the same weight as her. The natural physical advantages he was born with and developed through puberty would make it not only very unfair but also dangerous.

2 Likes

How is her competing against a male, with the similar physical ability? How is a boy with not so great physical ability competing against a male with the same weight as him but the natural/genetic physical advantages he was born with, that would make it not only very unfair but also dangerous.