🏟 Sports Venues | Taipei Dome

Do they still take forever to shut? Whenever it starts to rain - announcement comes over, “we are shutting the roof”, 20 minutes later sports fans still getting soaked.

I have no idea

What’s wrong with using an umbrella?

Nothing. Old skool works.

That’s why most new stadiums are designed with horizontal rails for the roof to slide in. Previous designed wanted to keep the dome shape and ended up making the retractable mechanism too complicated.

Actually you are not supposed to use an umbrella during game time because people behind you cannot see the game. So either you wear a trash bag raincoat, or you hide out in the corridors.

So they’d have to be typhoon proof, with all the upkeep. And presuming in Taiwan you’d want it shut for one out of every two days. Actually I could see participants wanting it shut if there is the slightest puff of wind or drop of rain. So in some sense I see why they opted for the Mars biodome type set up.

What’s the rule for when the ball hits the roof?

Some can even ride their grass field outside!

Yes, the greatest benefit of having a retractable roof in Taiwan is being able to play on real grass. Astroturf is terrible for the environment and the athletes. Having those fields that can slide onto the plaza outside to get more sun is great as well. That means there is a plaza large enough for evacuation.

2 Likes

Try and catch the sucker.

The Tokyo dome also has a low roof, and the rules are, if the ball hits the infield ceiling, which the ball can sometimes get behind the canvas, then the fielders much treat the ball as in play and try to catch it when it falls.

If the ball hits the outfield ceiling, then it’s a homerun.

4 Likes
1 Like

Do you think we’ll make it on time for the 2017 Universiade?

6 Likes

They are changing something on the rooftop. Wonder if the complaints about being too shiny had an impact.

The rest of it seems to have lost its lustre.

2 Likes

Those are some dumpy buildings close by. Sure we want tourists to see all that?

That’s 75% of Taipei.

7 Likes

It’s obvious they are covering the shiny dome with paint or something. Took what was probably a a no maintenance surface, spent a lot of money to change it, and will spend more money maintaining it.

4 Likes

I already posted that in Daily Photos 2020 last week.

Much better than my quickly snapped pic.