🏟 Sports Venues | Taipei Dome

back to the Taipei dome, the lastest news:
appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 204/554009

Ko disclosed even more Ma era documents, revealing that Ma administration knew the Far Glory altered design would not meet safety and fire safety regulations. However, in order to meet the 40,000-seat requirement that Taipei city originally had in mind, Far Glory was let off a loop hole. The correct thing to do would have been asking Far Glory to go back to their original design.

Since it is now too late, Ko is closing that loop hole and demanding safety and fire safety requirement be met by reducing number of seats down to 20 to 30 thousand. That would make the stadium less profitable for professional teams.

No it wouldn’t. They’re playing at professional level. And they’d go play for whoever pays them the most anyway: Japan, US, if they’re given a chance.

It’s just like any other career, and everybody wants the job you have, and they’ll do a lot of things to get your job.

[quote=“OrangeOrganics”]
Why would language be an issue? Just have interepreters like every big sports team in the world. Manchester City has more Spanish speakers than English.[/quote]
Your’e right. It wouldn’t. Plenty of Taiwanese players playing overseas, and plenty of foreign players playing in Taiwan.
Only the stats, potential, and revenue-driving capability count. Fans pay for performance. No performance? Not worth paying to watch then.

No it wouldn’t. They’re playing at professional level. And they’d go play for whoever pays them the most anyway: Japan, US, if they’re given a chance.

It’s just like any other career, and everybody wants the job you have, and they’ll do a lot of things to get your job.[/quote]

works well in theory without discrimination, not so well with discrimination.

by the way, just because some really great players were able to raise above the muck, it doesn’t mean discrimination don’t exist and it’s ok to treat status quo as “normal” or “how it should be”. That would be like saying there was no discrimination in the MLB back in the 50s, because Jackie Robinson made it. Or that no discrimination exists now in the US because now there’s a black president.

It’s just like any other career, and everybody wants the job you have, and they’ll do a lot of things to get your job.[/quote]

works well in theory without discrimination, not so well with discrimination.

by the way, just because some really great players were able to raise above the muck, it doesn’t mean discrimination don’t exist and it’s ok to treat status quo as “normal” or “how it should be”. That would be like saying there was no discrimination in the MLB back in the 50s, because Jackie Robinson made it. Or that no discrimination exists now in the US because now there’s a black president.[/quote]
I’m very sure I didn’t say discrimination didn’t exist in sports or that it’s okay. I only said that it wouldn’t be a problem for NPB to expand into Taiwan. If they discriminated against Taiwanese then they wouldn’t even want this market, would they?

Individual acts of discrimination by one player against another don’t concern me at all, at professional level.

This thread has been moved from the TP forum to the Sports forum.

[quote=“sofun”]
I’m very sure I didn’t say discrimination didn’t exist in sports or that it’s okay. I only said that it wouldn’t be a problem for NPB to expand into Taiwan. If they discriminated against Taiwanese then they wouldn’t even want this market, would they?[/quote]

and they don’t, they have no interest of having an expansion team here.

After years of faking that they are just going to walk, and stalling to get the public frustrated at Mayor Ko for not handling the issue as promptly as he had promised, the Farglory group finally caved.

Last week Farglory said they are walking, and have wanted to walk for a long time, today they’ve finally submitted plans that matches their original approved design to meet safety requirements.

Does this mean that the current structure will be ripped down since FG didn’t follow their original safety plans?

I was talking to this with family when we passed it in the car. Aside from it not following the approved designs, there’s gotta be some kind of metal corrosion or structural damage after natural disasters that the structure has gone through that make it unsafe to continue construction.

I don’t think the entire structure will get ripped down. Probably just the portion that deviated from the original floor plan. Don’t think it’s gonna be that easy though.

Just the portion that deviated? Refresh my memory here, but wasn’t the original structure not suppose to be that high and that big? The idea was not to belittle it’s neighboring SYS Memorial Hall.

[quote=“peger, post:24, topic:85699, full:true”]
WTF is the Universade anyway? [/quote]

Exactly.

Seems this is another one of these “international” pseudo-events the Republic of China likes to host, like the Flora Expo, Deaflympics etc. Lord knows how they find these things and what they’ve got lined up next. A maths olympiad for guide dogs, perhaps?

1 Like

THe idea was to build a giant shopping mall and hotel and attach a dinky arena to it.

You got it all mixed up. :slight_smile:

Here we go again.

TT

“If the Taipei Dome “is not torn down, it means it will be built,” Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said yesterday in response to Minister of Culture Cheng Li-chiun’s (鄭麗君) request that the Taipei City Government clarify its stance on whether the project would be finished.”

That’s as much as a non-answer.

“The structure has taken up so much space that there was no room left to build evacuation passages, Ko said, adding that an 80m-wide underpass connecting the Dome with the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall could serve as an evacuation tunnel.”

That’s wider than any road tunnel.

The width is necessary to meet the key spec, which is ability to completely evacuate a full stadium within a fixed period of time. They fucked it up so badly.

1 Like

Do you know how wide 80 m is?

It’s 80 metres wide. Do you know how many people would need to be evacuated and in what time limit?

Supposedly there are two big issues. One the stadium and pitch size doesn’t fit international tournament regulations for baseball.
Two there was a lack of suitable emergency exits.
How this could have been permitted to happen is mind boggling. Of course the plans and construction were changed after original planning was approved. Crazy stuff.

6 Likes

Why do people need to evacuate trough the underpass to sys memorial hall ?

Why is it not sufficient to evacuate out on either Zhongxiao east road or the other big road right next to the dome?

I presume the above could complicate access for fire personnel to the dome, is that the reason ? Or ?

One huge exit would never be enough. Each section of the stadium needs multiple exits.

2 Likes