Spring Break Taipei?

Hello All

Anyone have any idea when Taipei’s university students are on “spring break”? or do they have something like this? I looked on calendar on University website and couldnt find it. I was just wondering if I could expect the city to be more lively with students when I come on march 24-april 4th due to spring break. Thanks guys!

Don’t everyone answer me at once! haha :doh:

Well you posted at 4:22 am Taiwan time. Not sure you’re going to get an overwhelming reply then.

Well I got over 13 views but I guess I did not factor in “American views” haha

If they have a “spring break” (and I’ve no idea if they do) their time would more likely be spent studying or going to cram schools anyway. Maybe they’d be able to spend an extra hour a day playing online games or something.

Spring break? What spring break? Wrong country.

No, sorry. But if you want something lively with students during that time, you could try [url=Spring scream 2010 Scream[/url], which is held on the southern tip of Taiwan.

usually the last week of March.

I head down to Kenting for all the bitchin keggers and wet t-shirt contests. It is a mad crazy time. Last year I won the TW Beer chuggin contest…hooray for me!

TW Girls Gone Wild will be there also, to film all the young xiao jies swimming in the ocean in t-shirts and rolled up jeans. Shit is gonna be off the hook yo!

Also be on the look out for the thousand floating douche bags spectacle which takes place everyday on the sea. Lots of quaffed orange haired trendies spend the day sitting on a board, floating on a piss-flat ocean looking cool in their new roles as surfers. Well worth the visit, especially if you are considering a new hairstyle and want some ideas.

[quote=“freethinker83”]Hello All

Anyone have any idea when Taipei’s university students are on “spring break”? or do they have something like this? I looked on calendar on University website and couldnt find it. I was just wondering if I could expect the city to be more lively with students when I come on march 24-april 4th due to spring break. Thanks guys![/quote]

Citystudents… and lively do not belong in the same sentence…

Break? What’s that?

This coming from a Taiwan university alumnus.

Sorry, pal, as stated, your best bet is to head South.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“freethinker83”]Hello All

Anyone have any idea when Taipei’s university students are on “spring break”? or do they have something like this? I looked on calendar on University website and couldnt find it. I was just wondering if I could expect the city to be more lively with students when I come on march 24-april 4th due to spring break. Thanks guys![/quote]

Citystudents… and lively do not belong in the same sentence…

Break? What’s that?

This coming from a Taiwan university alumnus.

Sorry, pal, as stated, your best bet is to head South.[/quote]

Thanks everyone. I am definitely checking out some cities in the south already so thats great to hear.

OK, focus.

If your goal is to spend a nice time here in Taiwan during what accounts here as sort of similar to “spring Break” in teh US of A, then heading to Kenting during Spring Scream is the answer.

If your goal is more long term, as in coming here to study/work for a year/6 months/whatever, then, I must tell you that unfortunately, while Southern universities’ ambiance might be a bit more relaxed, do not expect much in the excitement department. That said, you will still finds lots of camaraderie and basically, it will be up to yourself to find your own entertainment.

Many universities have a one-week spring break around the first week of April (appended to Tomb-Sweeping Festival), although they’re not technically allowed to - which is probably why you couldn’t find it online. The holiday often has some kind of silly label like “Study Week”.

No, the university students do not spend their time studying - they’ve finished high school and believe studying is no longer a necessary part of their lives.

Fun? No, not in Taipei. Spring Scream, in Kending (and not in southern cities like Tainan or Kaohsiung), is the only real party event (although that will likely attract almost every student partier on the island). Most students will spend the week sleeping and watching TV, although a few will either head to Spring Scream or perhaps on a trip overseas. There may be a slight uptick in crowds at bars and clubs, but the difference will be negligible - there isn’t a big party scene in Taiwan universities.

OK, if I have to be brutally honest, there might be some resemblance of a party scene in the foreign student community, especially the exchange students. Particularly we Latinos. But since that would be a stereotype, you did not hear it from me. :whistle:

So who’s up for spring scream? I don’t have the balls to go alone and I just got here a month ago.

when is it? I’ll be around Taichung and Tainan for the next few days right but I could make my way down to the south soon. I’m not much of a party animal but I am a tourist looking for unique and exciting stuff to see.