Staggering high school drop out rate

[quote=“Jaboney”]

Just out of curiosity, could you reconcile these two statements for me? I don’t want to get you wrong. [/quote]

[quote="[url=The ridiculous legacy of the Bush (II) administration - #73 by Chewycorns I don’t think some provinces would appreciate what is basically another type of National Energy Program mandated from Ottawa, particularly in these uncertain economic times. Such a program could hurt the economies of Alberta and Newfoundland (oil), and Saskatchewan (coal etc.).[/quote]

Sure. I don’t think anyone can deny that the economy of Alberta has been red hot. In terms of GDP per capita, Alberta is far above the other provinces (with the exception of the NWT).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ca … ic_product

However, anyone who has lived in Alberta during the early 80s remembers the bust that resulted from low oil prices and Trudeau’s statist and redistributive NEP. With housing starts down and employment growth slowing (a measure of uncertainty wouldn’t you say?), I think it would be safe to say the economy is slowing although things are still generally moving forward (3 percent growth vs. 6 percent last year). Would imposing a federal tax at such a time make good economic sense in your opinion? I certainly don’t think it would and don’t think Harper would risk implementing one.