The ridiculous legacy of the Bush (II) administration

I’m all for clean energy innovation (why put all your eggs in one basket?) and believe that Canada definitely has to improve its innovation capacities in many industries (a recently-released Federal report gave the country a “D” in innovation), but why not leave the choice on whether to pursue a green path or not to the provinces? I don’t think some provinces would appreciate what is basically another type of National Energy Program mandated from Ottawa, particularly in these uncertain economic times. Such a program could hurt the economies of Alberta and Newfoundland (oil), and Saskatchewan (coal etc.). I don’t think that levying $15.4 billion in new taxes on Canadian industries that produce high carbon emissions (as Dion’s program would do) would create a legacy of innovation. It would create another economic disaster for Western Canada and the maritimes. Let the provinces decide the economic path they want to take. If some provinces want to pursue a green agenda, that’s great. Every province has different economic interests and having national legislation would hurt some provinces a hell of a lot more than others.

I know a little bit about wind energy (I have a friend who works for a foreign company involved with wind turbines that is considering setting up shop in Canada) and agree with Mr. Pickens on its merits. However, and most important for capitalists such as Pickens me thinky thinks, it is also a great money maker if you can set up shop close to a grid. It can cost millions of dollars to pay for one turbine, but it is usually paid for in about 10 years. Since these turbines can last for over 20 years or more, that’s 10 plus years of “gravy” with very little upkeep costs.