Standing to the ROC anthem in movie theater

Bizarrely at my first school in Kiwiland we had to stand round the flag pole and sing the anthem every morning. I say bizarrely because it was never a common practice in New Zealand to do that.

Channeling CK.

Waitā€¦ wrong thread.

In the 1960s in Canadian public elementary school we had a Bible reading every morning, along with singing (on alternate days) ā€œO Canadaā€ and ā€œGod Save the Queenā€.
As for sports, Iā€™m on record that national anthems should be reserved for games played by your national team, not commercial games by private teams.

1 Like

What I had to go through in school in Taiwan.

Stand in rank and file and march towards the field every morning.

Each class would stand in formation in front of the review station waiting for the flag raising, and answer to military commands such as attention and at ease.

Sing through 2 anthems under the blazing Taiwan sun.

Listen to the principal rant on for about 30 minutes.

Probably sing another patriotic song. Bullshit songs that claim CKS is the savior of the world that till this day are etched into my head.

Heck, I canā€™t be the only one to have disgusting songs stuck in my head. I will share this beautiful song with you all, so you can experience brainwashing for yourselves.

After that kind of indoctrination, I didnā€™t even flinch when I was thrown into high school in Texas, and had to mouth to the pledge of allegiance and pretend I knew the words. I wasnā€™t even a citizen then, yet I found it normal compared to when I was in Germany and we didnā€™t need to do squat in the morning.

3 Likes

And yet, you turned out OK. :grin:

If by OK you mean complete relentless disdain for the KMT, then yeah, thank God I turned out ok.

Although Iā€™d say about 50% of the people bought the brainwashing. At least back in 8th grade I was still a believer in the glory of the Chinese nation. Then I had the benefit of being removed from the environment the rest of the way.

1 Like

Somehow I bet that number is much lower these days.

When I first moved to Kaohsiung I lived in an apartment above a high school. The principal, a Hitler-wannabe, used to give a screaming harangue every morning. I taught some students from there; their general opinion was ā€œyeah, heā€™s a real assholeā€.

At my school, after the principal ranted, they used to call students with outstanding performance up for awards, and then call under-performing and disobedient kids up to be punished with a standing timeout on the review station for 30 more minutes on public display. Itā€™s supposed to shame kids into submission or something.

I was often in the later group.

Most overt brainwashing ended 24 years ago. The KMT has the most support from people above 55 and under 65 (born between 1954 and 1965). Those people were properly brainwashed.

And yet, you turned out OK. :grin:

I see a patten developing.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not going to correct it. It would ruin your effort.

Itā€™s actually OK. My quote of your quote would still be the same.

Because it signals insecurity in full banana-republic style. Colombia and other Latin American country used to have similar customs.

1 Like

Well done. You just replied to a post from 14 years ago. :laughing:

1 Like

So what? Blame the OG thread gravedigger. Point stands anyway as this is even older Taiwanese history, thankfully.

1 Like

Hey! I wanted to post a new thread, but the Ghost of Forumosa Past kept bringing up this one.

1 Like

Public schools (at least ON) kept the Lordā€™s prayer until the mid-80ā€™s, and in at least five provinces they still do the national anthem daily, though not necessarily with lyrics.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s true all over the US, but the pledge of allegiance takes place in the classroom after the anthem is played over announcement speakers in Texas.