STAR WARS Episode 7 *Spoiler alert*

Star Wars Episode 7: Excitement or dread?

Scheduled for release in 2015:
blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/10/ … g-in-2015/

George Lucas will not be directing:
slashgear.com/george-lucas-s … -30254919/

So. What do you guys think? (Also, does this mean Leia is now a Disney Princess?!)

[modquote]Moderator’s Note: Tread lightly. There may be untagged spoilers! You have been warned. (Or just please go see the movie! Why haven’t you yet? Do it and let us know your thoughts.)[/modquote]

Given the recent output, and now that it is in the evil clutches of Disney, I can’t really say it will be anything to write home about.

I don’t think it going to Disney will likely make it a good thing. However, I don’t think it could necessarily be worse than Episodes 1-3 under Lucas. Those were pretty bad. Three words: Jar Jar Binks. I think the saga jumped the shark long ago.

It would be good to see the 9-part series completed as originally planned. Hopefully, with someone other than Lucas directing, it won’t go the way of Ep. 1. (Ep. 2 was better than Ep. 1, and Ep. 3 was better than Ep. 2.)

It won’t make sense unless they show episode 9 first. Then show 7. Then show 8.

No wait. It should be 8, 7, and then 9.

No way this can look good.

[quote]Like Obi-Wan Kenobi, I feel a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out “John Carter” in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

That’s the only predictable thing about the franchise’s future — besides that it will make a fortune. And perhaps the return of the Ewoks and Jar-Jar Binks, who always seemed better suited to a Disney flick.

As part of the deal, Lucas hands over treatments for the third trilogy, essentially his ideas of where the story leads, not completed screenplays. Now that decisions are out of his hands, Disney can simply say: “Thank you, Mr. Lucas, now this is what we have in mind.”

Lucas, who’ll be a “creative consultant” on the trilogy, said his treatments continue the stories of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo. However, nearly 30 years after Episode 6: Return of the Jedi it’s questionable how that will happen.

Bringing back Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill is impossible unless the trilogy leaps ahead a few decades when they’re too old to be convincing swashbucklers. Disney probably wouldn’t meet their salary demands, especially Ford’s, anyway.

More than likely the roles will be recast with promising young actors, CW network refugees, or shooting stars ready to take chances on being compared to icons before flaming out. Or Disney can tweak Lucas’ treatment and make them the sons and daughters of Han and Leia and maybe Luke, if he found a girlfriend by now.

The black-cloaked elephant in the room is Darth Vader, the masked face of the franchise and the main reason so many fans stuck with the prequel episodes 1, 2 and 3. The last time we saw Darth in chronological order he was dead. It’s tough to decide which path for Disney is rockier: resurrect Darth with a cynical eye on the box office, or create another villain who can never be his equal.
[/quote]

tampabay.com/features/movies … rs/1259264

I resent that CW reference. :fume:

Steven Seagal will play Jabba the Hutt!

[quote=“Icon”]No way this can look good.

[quote]Like Obi-Wan Kenobi, I feel a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out “John Carter” in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

That’s the only predictable thing about the franchise’s future — besides that it will make a fortune. And perhaps the return of the Ewoks and Jar-Jar Binks, who always seemed better suited to a Disney flick.

As part of the deal, Lucas hands over treatments for the third trilogy, essentially his ideas of where the story leads, not completed screenplays. Now that decisions are out of his hands, Disney can simply say: “Thank you, Mr. Lucas, now this is what we have in mind.”

Lucas, who’ll be a “creative consultant” on the trilogy, said his treatments continue the stories of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo. However, nearly 30 years after Episode 6: Return of the Jedi it’s questionable how that will happen.

Bringing back Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill is impossible unless the trilogy leaps ahead a few decades when they’re too old to be convincing swashbucklers. Disney probably wouldn’t meet their salary demands, especially Ford’s, anyway.

More than likely the roles will be recast with promising young actors, CW network refugees, or shooting stars ready to take chances on being compared to icons before flaming out. Or Disney can tweak Lucas’ treatment and make them the sons and daughters of Han and Leia and maybe Luke, if he found a girlfriend by now.

The black-cloaked elephant in the room is Darth Vader, the masked face of the franchise and the main reason so many fans stuck with the prequel episodes 1, 2 and 3. The last time we saw Darth in chronological order he was dead. It’s tough to decide which path for Disney is rockier: resurrect Darth with a cynical eye on the box office, or create another villain who can never be his equal.
[/quote]

tampabay.com/features/movies … rs/1259264

I resent that CW reference. :fume:[/quote]

I resent their writing and the fact that they get paid for it.

As if Lucasfilms didn’t turn out their share of crap - Willow, Star Wars 1-3, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Even though Disney might be the devil, they do have Pixar although I hear they are now renaming their film arm as “Lityerses Studios”.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade sits alongside Raiders of the Lost Ark as the best two of that quadrilogy. The other two movies fall far below it. Temple of Doom sucked.

Disney did ok with the Marvel stuff. So maybe they can pull this off.

No way. Last Crusade blew if for no other reason than it had Sean Connery limping through another post-Bond role. Temple of Doom had that dude who pulled people’s hearts out through their chests. He also had an awesome laugh.

Kinda what I was thinking.

I had hoped that Brad Bird be one of the top contenders for the director job. Read somewhere that it won’t happen. Ah well.

Who do you guys think should direct Ep. 7?

Kinda what I was thinking.

I had hoped that Brad Bird be one of the top contenders for the director job. Read somewhere that it won’t happen. Ah well.

Who do you guys think should direct Ep. 7?[/quote]

David Lynch. Just to fuck with people.

Oh, yes!
Tarantino, a close second.

Roger Corman.

Roger Corman.[/quote]

Pierre Woodman.

Star Whores Episode 7. The Phallic Menace :ponder: :ponder:

Writers news-- Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg Lock Deals to Write and Produce ‘Star Wars’ Installments. Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, is on board to write an entry in the new Star Wars trilogy, and may also serve as a producer as well.
The pair will write either Episode VIII or Episode IX — their exact division of responsibilities is yet to be determined.

Link: forbes.com/sites/markhughes/ … ck-scribe/

Oh, yes!
Tarantino, a close second.[/quote]
That would definitely be odd to say the least :ponder:

That’s actually very encouraging news!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

j.j. abrams is directing!