Starbucks not selling muffins anymore

Starbucks has stopped selling their muffins in Taiwan. I confirmed this with 3 different managers at 3 different locations. This sucks…I really enjoyed having one when I tutor there. Why is it that the good stuff always seems to not last very long here? They are replacing the muffins with stuff you can get at any other coffee shop like Dante. :fume:

7-11 did the same thing 2 years ago. They were selling Italian Ice Cups…those were good, especially during the summer. Now, gone. They sold Snickers ice cream bars too. Now, gone. :fume:

I’m surprised they lasted as long as they did. The Taiwanese as rule don’t seem to go for those supercharged sugar-and-lard concoctions. Horrible, horrible things!
Do they still sell like boxes of 50 of the things in Costco? Peeeeyuuke!

When Burger King first started out here, they had these really delicious lemon meringue pies. That lasted about a month.

Probably just as well, because I can’t see a muffin without thinking of muff, and then I look at the serving girls, and then I start thinking…

Hey, they have bad fresh made coffee waffles now … :doh: :roflmao:

My wife made mention that perhaps they were not selling too well because of how “muffin” (when said in English) sounds in Chinese…something about a horse?

Could we get a thread going about things once sold in Taiwan, that no longer are, and we want back? Perhaps it could help in getting some of the stuff we like back.

[quote=“sandman”]I’m surprised they lasted as long as they did. The Taiwanese as rule don’t seem to go for those supercharged sugar-and-lard concoctions. Horrible, horrible things!
Do they still sell like boxes of 50 of the things in Costco? Peeeeyuuke![/quote]

I hear that all the time about Taiwanese not liking super sweet stuff…but I have a hard time accepting that when they eat shaved ice piled high with pure brown sugar, condensed sweetened milk, and candied fruits! Not to mention their brown sugar cakes and cookies! Oh, and don’t forget those mile long lines at any Coldstone ice creamery here…talk about sweet! So I don’t buy the line that Taiwanese don’t like sweet things.

I ‘like’ the “tortillas” in Starbucks, as in they’re better than another burger or chincey Subway service.
They disappeared, supposedly never to return, last year, but they’re back now.

Maybe the muffins will come back.

A tea shop near my place used to sell the kind of fruit teas I could happily drink all day: gone.
:frowning:

So maybe there’s some other reason they weren’t selling? Maybe just because they’re not nice in general?
And don’t forget there’s only like two or three of those ice cream places – I’ve never even seen one – hence the lines, but there’s a Starbucks on every corner, practically.
Plus, those things you mention are nowhere even CLOSE to the disgusting cloying sweetness of them muffin things. They should be sold as giant American-supersize me candies rather than as baked goods.
I suggest that you write a stiffly worded letter of complaint to Starbucks. That’s sure to do the trick.

[quote=“sandman”]So maybe there’s some other reason they weren’t selling? Maybe just because they’re not nice in general?
And don’t forget there’s only like two or three of those ice cream places – I’ve never even seen one – hence the lines, but there’s a Starbucks on every corner, practically.
I suggest that you write a stiffly worded letter of complaint to Starbucks. That’s sure to do the trick.[/quote]

Are you kidding? Coldstones is everywhere in Taipei and Kaohsiung! There are 12 in Taipei…and more elsewhere in Taiwan: http://www.coldstone.com.tw/store_info/index.asp

Weird. I never saw one before. Are they all in malls or something? That would explain it as I never go to those places.

The phonetic translations I’ve heard for muffin are something like 瑪芬 (ma3fen1), which is awfully similar to the word for horse manure 馬糞 (ma3fen4). I’ve also heard 小鬆餅 which is the translation as pancake. As pretentious as I find Taiwanese people dropping English words into their conversations, it’s probably necessary if you’re talking about baked goods.

They name everything a pancake, waffle is a pancake, pancake is a pancake … :doh:

I’ve been eating pancakes (my own) every day for weeks. Sometimes two meals a day. Don’t know why other than they taste really good and with organic mulberry jam on them are healthy and make me feel great.

They seem also to have stopped selling Tazo teas.

Muffin sounds like:
Troublesome.
“pain in the ass”

I can understand if you had a particular one you liked…but man… Tazo tea in Taiwan? So many good teas here to experience!

I dunno…in terms of sweet…Taiwan is probably less sweet than America but more sweet than Japan. I am surprised by the sweetness of some things here! Its like whoa! It is less so than America though, I believe.

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

Alright, I dont know if they grow a rockin’ earl grey here. I’ll give you that lol.

I have been enjoying the fantastic oolongs here though…oh my goodness they are amazing.

Try Oriental Beauty, an almost completely fermented tea (like black tea) but naturally honey and fruit flavoured.