Starbucks!

Are there starbucks in Taipei?

If you gave me 20 C$ for each Starbucks in Taiwan I would be a wealthy man … :laughing:

1 Like

google …

starbucks + taiwan

Only 180,000? I thought there were that many within walking distance from Main Station.

More like is there any Taipei around Starbucks.

Anyhow, talking about Starbucks … I guess President Chainstore Co. is about doing the same with it’s Starbucks stores as with 7-11, open as many as possible, trying to crush any competition. In about 8 years time the only coffee you’ll drink is at Starbucks. :s

I just checked your other posts. Now I understand. You’ll be here in August.

I was wandering how you could even get from the airport to Taipei and not see a Starbucks. There are lots of American/ Western style spots around Taipei. Move out to the country side and you’ll be in trouble if you need your Western fix.

I need mine.

belgian pie wrote:

God forbid!!! :noway: The day I pay NT100 + for a cup of weak, instant coffee… and another NT100 for a ‘sandwich’-like looking thing guarranteed to instigate an attack of heartburn so bad you’d wish you’re dead… NEVER, EVER I SAY. :smiling_imp:

Up Starbucks Stanley said. And “Hi!” the crowd roared.

Instead, let’s support guys like belgian pie and the likes.

Stanley (braced against attack from Starbucks and it’s followers in the classical jumping bean position).

[quote=“stan”]belgian pie wrote:

God forbid!!! :noway: The day I pay NT100 + for a cup of weak, instant coffee… and another NT100 for a ‘sandwich’-like looking thing guarranteed to instigate an attack of heartburn so bad you’d wish you’re dead… NEVER, EVER I say. :smiling_imp:

Up Starbucks Stanley said. And “Hi!” the crowd roared.

Instead, let’s support guys like belgian pie and the likes.

Stanley (braced against attack from Starbucks and it’s followers in the classical jumping bean position).[/quote]

Stanley, I agree. We try to get to Belgain Pie’s when possible. It is difficult to get him off his chair so you can sign out Belgain pie and sign yourself into Forumosa. :wink:

As I mentioned above. I just get the need for a fix of Western culture, so will do Starbucks sometimes.

Starbuck has been Starburned in Australia so far. They came in arrogant and did not understand our Greeks and Italians were already making great coffee. I don’t know if they are better now in Melbourne but I could go to Gloria Jeans or Hudsons for chain store coffee and enjoy it or go to Starbucks and get weak crap coffee.

Now you’re taking about really coffee Ironman. The greek quater in Melbourne, wow. Spent a few months living and working in that fair town, I miss the flat whites and relaxed atmosphere. I remember on Easter Sunday spending a couple of hours chatting to a busker over coffee in one of the cafes off Flinders St.

Never drempt of going into a Starbucks until I came here…oh well. You can find good coffee in Taipei, but it ain’t in Starbucks.

Close
eyes
throw
rock

:slight_smile:

Oh, and welcome to Forumosa!

I want a big coffee in a paper cup that I can drink while I take a walk. Before Starbucks came here this was impossible. It’s expensive, but I don’t know anyone else that has this. Plus, they have a place outside where you can sit and enjoy your beverage.

There is also Lavazza here which has better coffee IMHO, although I frequent Starbucks since they are convenient and everywhere.

So where is the thread on the best coffee in Taipei? I like FonDa in Hsimenting for iced coffee and was at the Caravalli in an Alleyway near Carnegies and they had great coffee too. Still prefer Lavazza, but is THE MOST EXPENSIVE in Taipei, outside the lobbys of 5 star hotels.

[quote=“Hobart”]There is also Lavazza here which has better coffee IMHO, although I frequent Starbucks since they are convenient and everywhere.

So where is the thread on the best coffee in Taipei? I like FonDa in Ximending for iced coffee and was at the Caravalli in an Alleyway near Carnegies and they had great coffee too. Still prefer Lavazza, but is THE MOST EXPENSIVE in Taipei, outside the lobbys of 5 star hotels.[/quote]
Yeah, expensive it is: Had a cappuchino at their 101 outlet last Saturday and it cost me NTD130 for a
tiny
cup. Never will I complain about the prices at Starbucks again.

The only reason i asked, was cause i presently work for starbucks here in canada. Wondering how easy it would be for me to land a pt job there if i really wanted to. I only worked here for like 5 months…so i don’t know if they can hook me up in taiwan…you see starbucks isn’t a franchise…its a coorporation…so there are no owners of the stores…only managers all the way up till the main guys at the top in seattle.

The benefits at starbucks are crazy…like full medical, stock options, and other neat stuff…

Anyways…just a curiosity kind of question…

Thanks for the replies.

do you speak mandarin? likely a necessity here. and i doubt the benefits here would work out to the same as what they are in NA. don’t quote me on that, but benefits in NA are usually far beyond what you can expect here (other than in white collar positions, perhaps).

your hour pay would take a hit too, methinks …

Yeah, if you want to earn about 70NT an hour working illegally at Starbucks, do so by all means. :wink:

Starbucks is rank. They’re the McDonalds of cafes.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]. They’re the McDonalds of cafes.

Brian[/quote]

Yes they are.

And their stockholders love them for it. :slight_smile:

…in Canada and the US, perhaps, but it won’t be the case here in Taiwan.

Interesting situation Hwozdecki. The question is: how long do you plan to stay?

A travel visa says “no illegal work”. If you are non-Asian-looking, you could easily be caught. Plus, I doubt that Starbuck’s would want, need, or agree to hire an illegal worker.

If you’re a Starbuck’s employee in Canada who is “away” temporarily, they might be able to give you some kind of business visa and you would still be paid at home. Who knows? It might be a novelty to have a foreigner working there. If you can’t speak Chinese, you may end up cleaning tables and washing cups, etc. If that’s worth it to visit Taiwan and maintain your status of “employed by Starbuck’s”, go for it.

If you want to get Alien Residence in Taiwan (i.e., staying more than a couple months), you would probably be paid in NT dollars and you probably would not be satisfied with the salary. As xtrain_01 and Bu Lai En have mentioned, I have no idea what Starbuck’s employees make in Taiwan but as an example, McDonald’s employees make about USD2.12/hr (NT$70). It would not make sense to pay you any more than that when a local can do the same work for less. If you can’t speak Chinese, that would be an even greater reason not to give you the job. Also, they would have to go through the red tape to get you a work permit, etc. which is not needed for local employees.

When you go back to Canada, reinitiating your benefits might be a hassle for the company as well. Doesn’t look good.

Hwozdecki, I absolutely do not want to “rain on your parade” or “piss in your cereal” or anything like that. I suggest you ask your supervisor or manager and see what they think about this. They will probably be able to ask the right people and give you a clear answer. We are just giving you the red-tape-veteran side of the story–being workers in Taiwan.

If you want to visit Taiwan, WELCOME to Taiwan! If you want to work at Starbuck’s in Taiwan, I hope your expectations can be met, and I wish you the best of luck.