Starting a food manufacturing business on TW

That will be an issue, but what if you hired migrant workers and trained them to do it by first world standards

O_O so your idea is to increase quality by paying people peanuts?

4 Likes

Sounds like a very tough job to find the people who you can conceivably pay not great, and at the same time are willing and able to do things your “unnecessarily complex and uninuitive way” (from their p.o.v).

2 Likes

:joy:

Here are some questions you should ask yourself:

1. Where are you going to get your ingredients? Do you have any experience buying ingredients? Do you understand how tariffs, distributor relationships, etc. impact what ingredients you can realistically access?

2. How are you going to scale your business? Specifically, who are you going to hire to make the food and how are you going to ensure they follow the protocols you set? Since you don’t trust locals, are you going to hire foreigners only? Where are you going to find an adequate supply of foreigners who have open work rights and how much are you going to offer them to lure them into working in food service, which is generally a shitty profession?

3. Finally, how many times have you actually had food poisoning here?

6 Likes

So would you also follow german employment practices, like paying 15 euros an hour at minimum, require certification and all that?

If so i would like to work there. I would also obtain any certification as you require too.

You should follow german employment practices because if you pay taiwanese wage, expect taiwanese performance.

But i imagine you want to pay people 150 an hour. No white foreigners here are going to work for peanuts while having to follow strict and unintuitive food safety practices.

1 Like

I trust local eateries.

I trust HK and Japanese eateries as well.

You don’t get an 80+ year life expectancy if everyone is being poisoned left and right.

3 Likes

That is surprising!

5 Likes

from where do you get the safe ingredients?

I remember a while back there was a food scandal across the EU involving horse. Seems some ingredients came from less developed EU countries where labeling is somewhat chabuduo.

Industrialized food production is chabuduo pretty much everywhere you go. Obviously, some places are worse than others, but the large-scale operations responsible for huge portions of what goes into our meals are rarely pretty.

Unless you’re growing your own food or buying directly from small-scale producers whose operations you can visit, you really don’t know what’s in your food.

1 Like

You’ll learn the hard way like many other foreigners before you that Taiwanese people aren’t willing to pay for such high quality food.

Not just taiwanese, foreigners dont want to pay for quality either.

4 Likes

Imported food from the west is probably enough for most people who would consider any issues with local produce. Costco, supermarkets etc… cater for that crowd for the most part.

1 Like

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2019/08/germany-had-almost-900-foodborne-outbreaks-last-year/#:~:text=Almost%20900%20suspected%20foodborne%20outbreaks,this%20year%20with%20100%20infections.

Almost 900 suspected foodborne outbreaks were reported in Germany last year including one due to Salmonella with almost 200 ill and another from Listeria that continued into this year with 100 infections.

1 Like

Sorry, i havent read the whole thread, will read through it later. But a few points if ican just be direct without unnecessary internet foreplay. These points are comig from a place of passion and respect, so dont take it personally.

1. Current DPP government has drasticlly stepped up food safety parameters. From the consumer perspective it may not seem so. but legally there are so many laws now it is hurting development and one might even legitimately call it knee jerk now.

1.2 with the national laws being fairly strict now (note i am not saying they are perfect, but show me a country that does it all well…) it is not a matter of food security laws. They all exist, if you read chinese it shouldnt be hard to find. And probably 80% the government even translates into English and.provides for free online. The real issue is enforcement which is absolutely localized. FDA inspections and offices are run county by county. Anyone who knows anything about taiwan knows that corruption isthe most severe in smaller/lower level governemnts. And therin lies your problem.

1.3 the other issue being the culture here puts huge respect on school, which has led to a society of useless entitled overpaid morons running too many things. If you call one goverment agency they almost always try and pass off the work to some other agency. Ironically only agencies which collect money seems to answer questions properly. Like taxes and somewhat fda which collects shit tons of fine money. So, Regardless of.laws the left foot doeant understand.it has toes. The beaurocracy is real. One can only conclude its almost.intentional to make everything.grey so that the gov has the upper hand in punishing you. And they do. This is why i ge everything.in writing.or i record andsave every conversation had, So when i go to court i can.clearly show i am following.government protocol. Luckily i am WAY more.diligent than them, so no issues uet…but wait til you meet jealous people, god damn! Never underestimate the pettiness of our species…

1. Old factories are in a way grandfathered in. Pair that with 1.2 and you can see the issue.

2. Certain sectors, pork for example, are so fucked up and corrupt that they indirectly control how the national government can obtain military equipment because they are such lowly pieces of shit. fisheries are also insanely evil. Local corruption and fear play into this massively. Thank the sheeple for this coupled with pissygvernment officials.

3. There are a lot of foreigners in the food industry. Note that the laws in taiwan make it illegal for foreigners to open business in certain industries including agriculture, fisheries etc. Some of us still find a way and it wont be posted publicly. Even locals have had SUPER hard times.mking their farm into a company. They lose their farmers status, cant get loans etc etc. The dpp is slowly changing this. Too little, too late. This is a real shame for taiwan but given chinas oppression it is at least understandable until you get right into the grey areas and…fuck.it. too tired to explain.

4. The world is different now. If you go in with this white foreigner is trusted bullshit, not only will you look like a complete douchebag, you will make all of us look like complete douhebags. Please dont be lazy and do your job without bringing race into this. if you want o.play that card, just be a teacher. Me and many others have suffered untold amounts working hard to avoid this sterotypical future stigma! And the fight is insanely real.

5. There is a huge food security problem. On all fronts, many of which most people do not even think about. It is a massive subject and i respect you for caring. But dont go into this fight naive and ignorant, it will backfire. The government has failed a lot on things, companies, etc. But never forget that it is also cultural. Sometimes the consuner indirectly WANTS dirty shit for.food because that is how the flavours are made. We accept cheese and call stinky tofu dirty, quite ironic. Its good to step back, pretend youre an alien, and.observe. then read. And repeat. After years of no rest, start to formulate a plan of attack. In the meantime, open a company. Its great fun but now is.quite annoying as the gov really is .tackling food safety via fda related channels. So new companies are scrutinised far more heavily than the uncle that feeds xylene to children for 50 years.

Be smart and patient, not emotional and rushed. You dont know as muh as you think. Neither do I. Be humble and strategic or you will certainly get F’d…

1 Like

A trend I’ve noticed over the decades here is that as commercial rents have risen food quality has gone down. And rents are sky high now, at least in Taipei.

Yea I am not sure I am all that faithful that man will get their affairs in order and care about security rather than making a quick buck. This is probably going to be our future as far as food goes:

Yea, basically kibbles and fake food for the commoners, while the rich guys can enjoy real food.

Just search “Germany food scandals”

Anyways, Taiwan has HACCP but it ends at the front door of the retail buyer/restaurant mostly. Sometimes it ends with the wholesaler.

A better less capital intensive approach would be to source the foods from other first world countries. The problem you will run up against is the refusal to admit things could be done better.