Starting from scratch

This question is for those who moved to Taiwan to start a new life.

Starting from zero is not easy as many know, especially in a country with many differences than yours. What was your experience struggling through this stage of your life. Can somebody share his experience?

Define “zero”

At first finding a way to stay here legally with work rights was tough. After that it was breaking out of English teaching and getting started in tech.

2 Likes

Would you care to share your experience first?

3 Likes

Definetely, stay legally with a work permit is not easy. Especially for those who comes from non speaking English or Mandarin countries. My gosh, how many English teaching jobs I have seen at 104 website. Unfortunedly, if your country is not one in the list, you are not allowed to teach english.

It´s supposed in Taiwan everything is convenient, but I find this law not convenient at all. Completely unfair for those who have studied English as a foreign language and got good scores.

1 Like

This wasn’t my first rodeo, a breeze

Lots of Taiwanese have studied English as a foreign language and gotten good scores, but they still cannot express themselves in English well. I disagree with the government policy that anyone from an English-speaking country with a pulse and a degree can teach English in Taiwan, but I hope at least the schools are competent enough to be good gate keepers. To be honest, your English has improved a lot since you joined this forum, but I am glad you are not allowed to teach English (yet).