Startup Taiwan [book and podcast]

I submitted the preorder form, but I’m a bit confused because it says “The Book is now available” so I’m not sure why I need to preorder it. But I don’t see anywhere to order it regularly and pay for it. It would also have been helpful if they mentioned delivery costs, because I might have gone for an ebook edition if delivery to my country is expensive.

The book sounds awesome, but my first impressions simply trying to order it are very poor.

Sounds like the startup book is being sold startup-style. They’ll tell you it’s a feature, not a bug.

I clicked through a couple times wanting to buy eBook then gave up.

I wonder if it’s available through some reliable online ebook seller like Amazon.

I don’t know what they’ve got on other than the book. It looks like that’s all that they’re pushing now.
They raised about 100k out of an 800k goal on Indiegogo. It says they’re trying to build an educational platform for startups in developing countries to invest in Taiwan. According to their LinkedIn page, two out of the three founders have worked in digital or social media marketing. You’d think one of them would be able to arrange a better sales funnel.
Might be interesting if they ever get anything off the ground, but I’m not really clear what their goals are.

1 Like

Paulo, the author, is a cofounder of a new co-working space in the Datong area called Space21. Met him at a startup event there last week.

1 Like

Do you have a link for that? I can’t find anything.

There are so many co-working spaces in Taipei.

A lot of them are just glorified coffee shops or filling a cheap empty space and survive.

Many newer ones that try to be more than that seem to end up closing.

Kafnu for example.

1 Like

Those coworking spaces are overpriced for what they are, and most the time you can rent a cheap old apartment as office.

Some people choose co-working spaces to meet possible collaborators/vendors and share ideas/leads, and there’s a lot of professional services people there too. At WeWork, I could find an accountant, patent attorney, or sales software pretty easily.

You can get most of that at a lot of virtual offices.

I want a hard copy of that book, but delivery out of country? Sounds like a stretch.

1 Like

“Despite the unfortunate design decision of printing the entire book in tiny font on gray paper, Startup Taiwan: Foreigners Business Guide is an easy-to-follow, immensely detailed and thoughtful manual to starting your business in Taiwan.”

1 Like

The website is a disaster.

Book not on Amazon.

I want digital for ereader.

Hard copies available on some Taiwan websites, of which very few English speakers are going to access or can purchase from if they do access.

Like these (translated).

How about doing us all a favor and asking how to get the book either hard copy or digital in a store or working website ?

1 Like

Ermmm, why not do it yourself? I’m not affiliated with the book in any way, I already have a hard copy, and your ability to send emails is presumably as good as mine.

I’ve been getting notifications from this thread all week for people rambling about wanting an e-book version (which doesn’t exist as far as I’m aware) or somehow not being able to order the book or contact them at the email listed on the site. My good deed for the day was done when I created the post to make others aware of the book - I ain’t doing nowt. :man_shrugging:

As you’ve posted above, it seems to be available on PChome for cheaper than the actual retail price. Why not just order it there and be done with it?

Sadly, I’m not having as much success as you.

The website seems disastrous and neglected.

I’ll work it.

The local startup spaces have seen the prices WeWork charge and thought, we can do that for half the cost.

The website is as bad and confusing as everyone here says, but the author quickly responded to my email and provided me with an estimate for shipping to the UK. Hopefully he’ll read this page and take on board the criticisms about the website. But, in the meantime, you should know that you can easily reach out to him and get hold of the book.

1 Like

That’s very strange.

I wonder how long he has been working in Taiwan. I wonder if he has just collected information or really experienced it himself.