Stay outside of Taiwan for years and maintain marriage ARC?

If you have a marriage ARC, and decide to live abroad for a decade without coming back once, would it be possible to maintain your ARC by having an agent, or friend acting as an agent file the application to renew the ARC every three years?

Yes, if your spouse’s hukou is active.

委託書:除申請人親自送件外,委託他人代為送件者,應附委託書;人在國外地區、香港及澳門或大陸地區,僅申請展延居留或變更居留住址或服務處所者得委託他人辦理,且委託書應經我國駐外館處或海基會之驗證。

2 Likes

Huh? Isn’t a key condition is being in country at least 180 days per year?

Isn’t that for APRC holders?

Don’t think it applies to marriage ARC holders.

2 Likes

If you have a marriage ARC, you can stay out as long as you want as long as the ARC doesn’t expire.

I just asked about this a couple of months ago and immigration was quite clear, you could be gone for years as long as the ARC was renewed on time.

2 Likes

Sorry…I am mixing up ARC and APRC. I believe APRC will expire if out of country 180 days.

Can you also maintain your health insurance by making the monthly payments?

I know that NHI has access to immigration records so they would definitely know if you hadn’t been in Taiwan for a while. Whether they would actually act upon that knowledge, I don’t know. I don’t think they’d really care.

How do I renew my ARC from abroad?
My Join Family ARC expires in May 2021 and I’d like to delay a stay in Taiwan due to covid?

your agent with an authenticated letter of attorney can do it for you.

you can stop NHI while you are abroad for more than 6 months, but if you don’t apply for it, you have to pay the monthly premium, as long as your ARC is valid.

Do they need to present your passport and ARC card?

I don’t expect NIA would accept authenticated copies of those documents, but, they might. you may ask them.

You also need your spouse’s national ID.

Two years ago I was in the US and wanted to renew from there.

My wife flew back to Taiwan with my ARC and passport. I also completed a power of attorney for my mother-in-law at my regional TECO office in the US. My wife flew back before the process completed, which is why I gave the power of attorney to my mother-in-law. Once the process was finished, my mother-in-law mailed the new card back to me.

1 Like

Did the power of attorney specifically state it was for the ARC application and did it have an expiry date? I would like to give my wife power of attorney whilst in Taiwan, only for renewing my ARC so that when I’m out the country she can do it for me. However, I don’t want to give her power of attorney over my whole entire life.

Too late. You are already married.

4 Likes

Does this link work?

委託書Letter of Attorney

1 Like

This is great, thanks. English is a bit strange.

I guess that you need to write:
1- ARC renewal
3- Name of the agent

But what do you put in number 2? I would guess my name but the English is strange. At first its written as if its the applicant, then the agent, then again as if its the applicant. Every time I read the English I feel like it means something different. Is this an official NIA document? Does it need to be stamped by anyone before using it?

1 Like

It is your name. When a parent wants to ask an application of kid’s thing to an agent, the client (I) is different from the person written in 2.

Is that an official NIA document?

I think it is a sample, and you can make your own form, but you may always ask to NIA.

A letter made in abroad might have to be notarized before authenticated.