STD testing

So i’ve recently got tested for HIV and Hepatitis for this awareness thing and it was free. I’m a ROC national so I wouldn’t get deported or anything like that. Anyways, i’m negative as I expected but I’m wondering about STD testing since I usually do it at the doc when I make my visits to the states with my family doc there. But i’ve gotten myself into a relationship recently and I would like to be sure I don’t have anything. Can I just go to a clinic or do I need to go to a hospital, and is there like a department I check in at? Also, is it cover by NHI and if not how much does it usually cost?

They changed the rules now, no more deportion for AIDS positive foreigners.

As with most health insurance, if you are testing just to check they probably won’t cover it. If you tell them it is a concern due to your lifestyle it should be covered. I’ve always gone to the hospital, as they can do the blood tests in house and usually give you the results same day

I’ve never gone in specifically for STD testing but they have included it in other tests I have done.

[quote=“dan2006”]They changed the rules now, no more deportion for AIDS positive foreigners.

As with most health insurance, if you are testing just to check they probably won’t cover it. If you tell them it is a concern due to your lifestyle it should be covered. I’ve always gone to the hospital, as they can do the blood tests in house and usually give you the results same day

I’ve never gone in specifically for STD testing but they have included it in other tests I have done.[/quote]
do you know what type of doctor you see? Like what do I say when I check in at the counter.

cdc.gov.tw/english/info.aspx … 9F5FD3B63D

Go here , number 6 you can download the CDC list of testing clinics.

For men you can ask for the family clinic or urologist.

anyone how what STDs are called in Chinese or will they understand when I say STD lol

They probably won’t understand if you say “STD lol”. You should probably speak like an adult and simply say “STD”.

You can just walk into a urology clinic, grab a number, see the doc, and ask for the tests you want or the doctor recommends.

Payment methods vary.

They probably won’t understand if you say “STD lol”. You should probably speak like an adult and simply say “STD”.[/quote]

can always count on mature answers in formunosa.

Sexually transmitted diseases I think generally fall under urology or pathology. In my native Australia you get a referral to a pathologist clinic from a doctor where nurses will take your blood and urine. As an ROC national you should be able to get a comprehensive test at your local hospital. Ximen’s hospital only does HIV and hepatitis for free, which is not enough. You need a comprehensive test including gonorrhoea, chlamydia, herpes, syphilis, HPV, ideally T. Vaginalis, etc. Gonorrhoea and chlamydia are the most common STDs around and are usually asymptomatic, can be spread by oral sex(!!!), and can cause sterility and I believe cervical cancer. A responsible adult should keep their sexual health well-monitored and in-check, so good on you for looking to get tested going into a relationship.

If you want to know my experience, I went to and whole-heartedly recommend Brian Uro in Banqiao, the private urologist other posters have mentioned in this forum. It’s totally anonymous (you give a pseudonym and any other info is optional), he tells you the testing packages he’s offering in English, you agree, they take your blood, urine and cash and you come back at the appointed time to get the results in a nice little document folder. As a working foreigner it’s worth the money for the anonymity, even if like me you’re a prude and have absolutely no reason to expect a positive result.

PS: Pleco dictionary says “STD” is " 性疾病 " in Chinese.

STD are called “性病” (PinYin: xìng bìng) in Chinese. Click the sound button in this link and you’ll hear the pronunciation of 性病.
translate.google.com.tw/?hl=zh- … %20disease

Doctors will understand “STD” because this term is commonly used in our daily practice when communicating with each other.
Doctors in Taiwan often talk in combination with Chinese and English medical terms.

As for your original question, you could go to any urology clinic or department in the hospital and tell them you want to do some examination for STDs. They will ask your sexual exposure history and symptoms/signs and decide which STD test can be done for you. If you want to do all the tests, you might need to pay out of pocket.

We would suggest our patients and friends to use condom to protect themselves and their partners. Safety first!

Dr. Joey,
You’re the best. :thumbsup:

So i went to the family clinic to get tested. So basically, it cost about 1000 total and is not covered by NHI unless you have symptoms which is kinda ridiculous. Especially if youre a women and get cervical cancer from HPV that can never show signs until it’s too late.

So the doctor told me i’m the 2nd person to get tested without symptoms in 5 years she opened. And it’s a busy clinic in Daan. WOW!! I’m literally never sleeping with a Taiwanese girl again. Thats terrible.

1 Like

Ken is very nice.

MRT Nanjing Sanmin Green Line

Exit 1 → U-bike → San Min Road → Roundabout & Circle → 1F., No.218, Sec. 5, Minsheng E. Rd., Songshan Dist., Taipei City 105

→ It 's next to mcdonald 's & the post office is just across from our Lab.

Unfortunately nice people can give you STDs too.

1 Like

Especially about Malaysia :smile:

1 Like