Steak in Taiwan. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Beef steaks in night markets are usually…ok, especially for the price. Steak, noodles, bit of veggies, sometimes free drinks for 120/130nt is a good deal.
In those kinds of stalls I usually prefer chicken steaks, though. The meat is often thicker and I think that a “meh” chicken steak is usually better than a “meh” beef steak.

2 Likes

How would you rate Texas Roadhouse steaks?

2/10

1 Like

Name and address of this Italian beefu bro?

Do you mean the pan-fried skirt steak drowned in the black pepper sauce, with a fried egg and on a bed of noodles? Forget the Chinese name. I like them, but they’re a different kinda steak. Not high quality, but delicious in an overly sauced kinda way. Or do you mean a different kinda steak?

As my dear old mum would say, ‘Never order steak at a restaurant’

Her reasoning was that steak is relatively simple to cook so you will be paying a premium price without really sampling the chef’s cooking skills

Better to buy raw steak and cook it yourself

1 Like

With all due respect, Dear mum never went to St Elmo’s Steakhouse in Indianapolis. :wink:

The owner is a friend, it’s not a steak house. Best Italian place in Taipei. It’s a small place. You need a reservation.

I agree, Costco steaks are very decent for the price and I think they are good quality for what you’re paying =) South Africans know how to cook good steak and we have some amazing beef in South Africa too eg Senepol steaks.

1 Like

That beef mince is a staple in my diet hahaha.

Danny’s does a very good steak. Last time I went I had a couple of issues with some of the other dishes. As an example, the tuna tartare had too much ginger and some kind of sweet vinegar which overpowered the delicacy of the fish IMO. However, overall the meal was excellent. I’d highly recommend it if you want a good steak, but probably only as a once a month treat as it is a bit pricey.

Haha, that’s true, but then again, you never tried my mum’s home cooked steak!
99% of the secret to a great steak is in sourcing a quality piece of meat - then you cook it on med-high heat for a few minutes. Is there another way?
If I’m paying the big bucks at a fancy restaurant with a highly trained chef then I want to eat something that I don’t think I could cook just as well myself

4 Likes

Exactly what I’m talking about. Honestly, I tell them not to put any sauce on there. Normally, the beef is good if it’s not overcooked.

However, the noodles can sometimes make or break the order.

1 Like

Will find my way there, anything else special on the menu? Please don’t say everything :smile:

Price range? Location?

Someone’s paid for some 5 star reviews on Facebook for Taverna De ’ Medic. 1k ***** reviews from fake profiles.

Having said that the place looks pretty good.

http://dannyssteakhouse.com.tw/design.php

We only ever go for the lunchtime menu (starter, main course, dessert) and my wife doesn’t allow me to order any wine. Cruel and unusual punishment, IMO, considering their wine selection. It usually works out at around 5-7k for two adults and a child.

That’d be one of the lovely things about living in Taiwan: lunchtime set menus can be a great deal here. I don’t think these specials are as common in Canada, or at least I haven’t noticed them. Love them in Taipei.

Of course, I have to usually keep quiet about them at home, because my wife has a full time office job and usually can’t join me. The meals aren’t exactly secret, but, well, best not wax poetic about them.

1 Like

I consider it to be sharing the love. One can consume top-end grub and not have one’s bottom lip quiver when one observes the bill.

Dude! You need to take the missus! I’m not sure if illicit lunchtime liaisons are legal under ROC law.

Dude, I hear ya. I have a wife and infant baby. When I have a lunch break at my job, I might sneak out to an awesome eatery I know. I always feel a bit guilty afterwards knowing she’s stuck at home being run ragged while I’m gorging myself on some succulent duck rice or whatever. Sometimes I take food home, but still.