Steam DRM for games, thoughts?

I like gaming and I have time to play for about 5 hours a week so anything I play has to be good and interesting. Now there have been a few games that I didn’t get because of Steam DRM due to the poor Amazon reviews such as Dawn of War II and I’m heistant to grab Left 4 Dead II for the same reason. I currently was interested in Supreme Commander II, but it’s getting poor reviews on Amazon and the IGN review wasn’t as solid as I had hoped. I really don;t want to buy a sequel of a game and like the original more.

What are you current views on Steam DRM? Djlowballer has said he has had little difficulty with it. I’m interested in anyone else that uses it. I’m more disturbed about losing a password or having my email hacked leading to me losing any games I have through Steam, which has a reputation for poor customer service.

What is their poor customer service? They usually respond in under 24 hours and will make case by case exceptions to rules based on circumstances.

I attempted to buy Mass Effect 2 over Steam and was unable to because I don’t live in the same country as my bank. So that was that.

I bought it here. The game is in English, but the manual is in Chinese. It’s a fun game and I enjoyed it over CNY when that untrustworthy git, Almas John, cancelled our get together over a little rain and cold.

And half the price here :thumbsup:

I’ve never had any problems with the DRM on Steam. All it does, I believe, is check with the server that you’re not playing it elsewhere. It’s a lot less insidious than, say, Securom. If any games sold on Steam have installation limits, it will clearly say.
I’ve got quite a few games on Steam, and I’ve never had any problems, so I can’t comment on support.

You could try a VPN. I use hotspot shield for free, and since my credit card is from the U.S. and their VPN will give me a U.S. IP address, I can buy games or watch netflix without any problems.

You can still purchase it, just mark your country as Taiwan instead of whatever country you lived in.

As for the Steam DRM, I have no issues with all my games so far. Steam’s/Valve own DRM (HL2 series, TF2, L4D) is the best way implemented, just login to your account online or offline. Other 3rd party games’ DRM for me works fine too. The latest one, that I wanted to purchase (but haven’t) was Assassin’s Creed II, that one seems iffy with its association with Ubisoft servers - requiring an ALWAYS CONNECTED LINE. As of now I heard a lot of flak coming from the community as their authentication servers are down causing them the inability to even play the game now!