Stick with hotspot or get a home modem?

So, non tech guy here and looking for fact based opinion:

Moved outside Taitung and using a hotspot off my phone (unlimited data, although they keep telling me I’m using a lot :laughing:) connected to my computer which is hooked to the tv. :tv:

I watch baseball games and movies primarily. So hours or viewing at a time.

Should we get a home modem installed or just keep with the hotspot method? Any benefits to either?

The only difference from hotspot use in San Xia is that I can’t live stream MMA here which is bizarre.

Thanks. :pray:

Who is your provider?

How much do you pay?

Taiwan da ge da.

$NT 1399 unlimited data.

Their unlimited data combo plan with home Internet is $999 to $1599.

Ask them to see if 臺灣大寬頻/Taiwan DaKuanPin/Taiwan Broadband is available in your area.

1 Like

You da man, or goat. Sheep?

The god of all things the greatest of all time.

1 Like

Prices sure have gone down since the early 2000s. Remember wife and I went to Andalusia and I was streaming some movies in my HTC Universal at the time.

Got a nasty 7000NT bill when I got back. Wife was not impressed.

I’m on dageda hot spot too except it’s a prepaid card that you top up when it runs out, for unlimited internet, and minimal calls three months at a time. Its like 1500nt for three months or something like that. I didn’t pay much attention to the price other than noting that it’s cheap.

Rational: pay in advance, no bill, no contract. I had a bad experience where far east tone started to avalanche bogus items onto my bill and then cutting off service when I didn’t pay for the scam items. So didn’t want to open any risk by going within 20 miles of another phone contract. So far so good, internet is good for all uses except occasional slow moments or when there are three devices on the hotspot at the same time.

1 Like

My deal came with the purchase of a new phone. :telephone_receiver:

So it looks as though the hotspot will be just fine. Not to compare but compared to upstate NY, the internet connectivity here is like 127G .

2 Likes

That’s why it’s higher. It comes with the phone financing.

I’m averaging 90GB a month lately on my phone and had 180GB in february. Movie, sports, music, streaming, whatever except gaming but I do watch Twitch that pulls alot of data. $1,399 a month. No issues.

7 May and I’m already on 20 GB this month.

I have home Wi-Fi but I don’t know why other than local tv.

I never had a problem hotspotting for everything in TW and never had home internet

That’s all I have to offer :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I get unlimited data from Hinet for I think NT$600 a month and Hinet has the best coverage everywhere in Taiwan

I’m locked into a two year deal with the iPhone. It’s fine. The hotspot is amazeballs.

I love hotpot.

1 Like

Hotspot certainly is great, is mobile after all. I run my phone for music at work, and let others connect to it. I’m probably 100gb/month ish on average. If I was primarily home based, I would prefer a hard wire over wireless to be honest. But…

$599/month unlimited. CHT.

Also not gaming. Mostly just YouTube/Spotify with people listening/watching videos as the main power usage suck.