Sticky keys

HELP!!! my “e” key is acting wonky… i haven’t spilled anything on my laptop keyboard, but the “e” isn’t really working unless i pound on it. any advice on how to fix this? i don’t want to have to take it to HP to sort it…

thanks!

Make/model? You can usually pop those keys off and clean them underneath, but if you can say the make and model it will be easier to give you more specific advice.

compaq presario v2000

OK. Check these out:

computing.net/howto/simple/keyboard/
repair4laptop.org/disassembly_compaq.html

Other easy option is just to plug a normal keyboard in. Will cost NT$500 for a fairly decent one.

thanks! have you ever popped off a laptop key before? i’m a bit nervous… my first time and all. :blush:

Isn’t WD-40 the answer for anything sticky?

Well funny enough, I just tried it on my “e” key so I could tell you. Easiest was is to push the “d” key down first so you have access to the front edge of the “e” key, then stick your fingernail under the front rim of the “e” key and prise up (gently). Careful now, the key is attached at the front AND the back. The front pops in and out pretty easily, the back, if it pops out, is harder to put back (I know cos I just did it. It was still OK to get back. Just took a couple of minutes, but it was fiddly.)

Not too sure if you will have enough access to really clean it out though without removing the whole keyboard, but you can at least give it a try.

NO!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! thanks again! you are super!

Eh? Is it working already?