Stocks/investment, go big or go home?

So I want to know, at least for investing in Taiwan (not using E Trade or anything like that), do I need to have 2 million NT that I am not afraid to lose in order to invest at all? The consensus I get from Taiwanese people seems to indicate that if you can’t afford to lose a minimum of 300,000NT then don’t even play the game, as stocks in Taiwan are traded in units of 1000 shares.

So if I want to invest low risk, with low amounts (like maybe 500nt per month), is there anything I can do?

I heard about that rule, but I don’t understand why they have it.
I trade through my German bank. They have an app and website to handle your depot and trades.
Thinking to move to an American broker to avoid trading fees and currency conversion fees for dividends.

what is the goal of the investment?
you can buy a low cost mutual fund (index fund) and invest into it on a monthly basis. these are relatively lower risk compared to investing in individual stock since they are diversified on a lot of stocks (however, you are still exposed to market volatility, going up or down. )
if you want to save for retirement, maybe buying an annuity or life insurance will be better.

at a first step, i would invest 500 nt in buying a good book about investing so you understand whats going on and what to choose (i recommend the intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham, or a book called simple path to wealth by JL collins)

/r/Bogleheads ALL DAY LONG

2 Likes

No, you could probably start off with a few hundred NTD. You can invest in portions of TSMC thru funds. You don’t need to buy 一張

1 Like

so how do I buy a single share of TSMC? Who do I go to?

Try Charles Schwab or Ameritrade. They allow foreigner accounts. It is even possible to buy fractional shares. I don’t have an account yet, but I am considering switching.
TSMC is also traded on NYSE in USD.

NYSE: TSM

1 Like

@Taiwan_Luthiers, do you have at least NT$5,000 or NT$10,000 to buy stock? or you only want to start out with NT$500 to buy something?

no I don’t have that much money, and if I have that much I rather not tie it up in stocks. I want to start out with 500 and buy over time to build up to a bigger amount over years.

I can open an account at E Trade too, but how would I put money into it without a US account?

If you are going to invest and you will only live in Taiwan, with such small amount, don’t invest in the U.S., you might even lose out on currency exchange (if NT$ strengthens).

You can buy/sell odd lots of Taiwan shares after market closes.
That means you can put in an order to buy (or sell) anywhere from 1 share to 999 shares through local broker. You could buy 1 share of TSMC at under NT$500 right now, if you are lucky to get an “odd lot” on any given trading day. So, go open account with local broker.

Sometime in October/late-October the market is expected to allow odd lot trading DURING market hours, meaning the buying and selling of 1-999 shares (versus current practice of 1000 shares, or 1 full lot) from 9am to 1:30pm, or market hours.

2 Likes

Mutual funds at local banks typically have a minimum of 3,000 nt per month, plus a 1.5% fee. The two banks I’ve used had this same minimum. Maybe you can ask around to see if there is a lower amount.

Also, you can pause at any time. So I guess in theory you could buy one installment, save, then buy another installment. Or maybe save until you have a few months worth. Then buy and sell almost like a stock. Maybe you would be lucky and/or get good at it.

I’m not saying I recommend any of this. I’m just trying to throw out ideas around the parameters you have given.

1 Like

Did asked my friend and TSMC is now too high 435,000 and her suggestion buy loose.

I think it will go up much further. Intel is failing on progress. The system of fabless companies driving innovation (e.g. AMD) and TSMC mass producing those chips is the way to go.

I love my Charles Schwab account! Not only is their trading account easy to use (where I have all of my index funds), but their “checking” account is also awesome if you have USD that you want to access while abroad. They reimburse you for any ATM fees at the end of the month, so I can go down to 711 and withdraw my USD in TWD for pretty close to the current conversion rate.

• Also integrates pretty nicely into TurboTax for anyone who needs to still file US taxes every year
1 Like

How do I open a Charles Schwab account? and how would I put money into it? Do they accept paypal?

2 Likes

Their website is https://www.schwab.com , but I’m not super familiar with how you would open a “foreign” account (without a SSN or American address).

• I feel like I remember from other threads that you’re a US citizen though? You might be able to avoid the $25k minimum mentioned above if so

As far as transfering money into the account I think of it more as a standard US Bank Account than a “trading account”. Usually this means a wire transfer from another bank account (with probably a fee if coming from Taiwan), but if you already have money in the US it’s usually free with an ACH transfer.

• If you’re able to get a Schwab bank account along with the investment account, I’d think that you could also hook it up to your paypal account and transfer it that way

I have nothing but good things to say about Schwabs customer support though, so definitely feel free to contact them! I’ve read on other places that “it’s the only bank that treats me as if I had a million bucks even though I only have $100” and I have to agree with it

https://enroll.schwab.com/AoUI/#/getStarted

1 Like

I’m not a US Citizen. I was a permanent resident but that’s pretty much gone but my SSN is still valid (I think they are good for life).

I do not have 25,000 dollars however.

1 Like