Store Brand or Off-Brand Colas in Taiwan

You know in the US they have a bunch of off brand cokes, you know, RC Cola, Shasta Cola, and others. They were often cheaper than Coca Cola or Pepsi.

I find it weird there’s no Hey Song cola for example (all they have is root beer, some fake sprite, and a few others, but no coke), I wonder why?

I guess most people do not drink Coke in Taiwan so no need for lower tier cola, even me as sometime we get gifts from their regional office I regift it (Cola). I prefer coffee, tea or this caca cola product that is 400+ years of history

https://j.cocacola.co.jp/qrt/029/ayataka.htm

or

2 Likes

In Taiwan, it feels like people are trying to outdo their parents by giving themselves and their kids everything they did not have growing up. I think this is the reason there are not so many house brands as compared to some western countries where being frugal is a virtue instead of 丟臉.

2 Likes

Those were legit brands, not as popular as the big two but they weren’t dollar store sodas. RC was quite popular in my area.

In Taiwan, there used to be a local brand or two, but they disappeared. One was called either American Cola or US Cola. It was sold year round at a cheaper price. I used to see it sold in cases at CNY at Wellcome and wonder who would take that to a party and look cheap. This was 2008 and before. I’m not sure I ever tried it.

3 Likes

https://tw.bid.yahoo.com/item/早期-黑松可樂-稀少-滿瓶-未開封-第一代英文HE-SUNG-101273055171

3 Likes

To be honest, I don’t think cola here is as popular a drink as it is in the US. Teas and fruit drinks probably outsell it.

Oh but most kids here can be convinced that Kirkland is a designer/luxury food!

3 Likes

Taiwan is incredibly health conscious when it comes to convenience drinks. Something that has developed over the years…low sugar…no sugar teas.

I disagree. I have a hard time finding non-sugary tea and coffee here, especially compared to Japan and Korea. In addition, most drinks use sugar instead of low calorie sweeteners, which I think most people would prefer if they were worried about their health.

Why? There’s so many no sugar teas out there.

2 Likes

Sometimes in the vending machines on the riverside there’s just sugary drinks and water. Usually, green tea and water are the only things without sugar.

1 Like

Taiwan at one time also manufactured RC Cola for domestic consumption.

Aside from Hesung Cola, another local brand was called Qixing cola (七星可樂).

2 Likes

There is definitely fake cola out there. That stuff they serve on tap in the hot pot restaurants is not Coca Cola.

Yeah. It’s called Pepsi.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Found one more, Apollo Public Drink, which was a cola

Also found Tai Hong Cola (台豐可樂), Coli Cola (可力可樂), Come Cola (可美可樂) and Ju-Mei Cola (日美可樂).

1 Like

Another one:

1 Like

There is at least one Taiwanese brand cola sold in those super cheap stores for ntd $10ntd a bottle. They sell overstocked items as well as items about to expire and weird stuff from around Asia. I live in Luzhou and there are several of these stores around.

You know now that I think about it, the only cola I see in stores are Coca Cola. I can’t even find Pepsi in stores. The only place I seen Pepsi is restaurants like Costco, KFC, and stuff…

Why is there no Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi in Taiwan? Why just Coke Zero?

IIRC they had Coke Light in the market (though in low availability, usually only from Costco) but withdrew in 2015ish.

1 Like