Stores in Taipei accepting American Express?

I’ve sold my TCR and I’m now looking to replace with a new bike in smaller size!
Here in Yilan it’s very difficult to find a place that will accept American Express, at the moment I can only use it at Carrefour and Tk -_-
I’m planning to buy my new bike next month, or at the latest in September. Do you know any store in Taipei that accept American Express?
Thanks!

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]I’ve sold my TCR and I’m now looking to replace with a new bike in smaller size!
Here in Yilan it’s very difficult to find a place that will accept American Express, at the moment I can only use it at Carrefour and Tk -_-
I’m planning to buy my new bike next month, or at the latest in September. Do you know any store in Taipei that accept American Express?
Thanks![/quote]

My guess would probably be any of these major stores.

Merida in Neihu, No. 100號, Ruiguang Rd, Neihu District, Taipei City, 114
Giant on Nanjing East. Rd., No. 278, Section 3, Nanjing E Rd, Songshan District, Taipei City, 105
Specialized in Dazhi, 104, Taipei City, Zhongshan District, 明水路688號1F

If you go to Merida in Neihu, tell the one of the managers, Mr. Lin, that you’re a friend of mine. He’ll help you out with finding the right bike.

The Giant one would probably be my first pick, I have the new Contend lien on my sight.
I guess it’s their flagship store, right?

Giant’s flagship store in Nanjing rd doesn’t accept American Express .______.

Update in case other poor souls are in my same situation and need to rely on American Express: Giant’s flagship store in the Q-square (opposite of the bus station in Taipei) confirmed via email that they can accept American Express.
I’ll be 100% sure of that when I can walk out of their store with a new bike, but they clearly told me that it will work there so fingers crossed!

Ibis, why do you want to pay with that American express piece of… plastic? if you pay in cash, you are more likely to get a bigger discount. You can always get the money frmo somebody (er… your wife?) and pay other stuff for her with the AmEx.

Because when I had Visa it was very easy for me to use it anywhere for electronics, fornitures etc etc, so I was able to use cash when more convenient and Visa for larger (and less discounted) things.
Now that I’m stuck with this green piece of garbage I want to use it as much as I can in those really few places that accept it, so that I don’t need to use my Taiwanese bank account for everything. I cannot directly withdraw money from my original bank, so I prefer to keep a good amount of cash in the Taiwanese bank for emergencies and especially for “leisure” purchases I tend to use the American Trash.
I hope there will be a cute girl in the store when I get there, maybe if I show her some “puss in boots” eyes they’ll still give me a discount and/or extra gifts! If not, well, screw American Express xP

Yup! the cool thing about buying Giant (or Merida, or Fuji) in Taiwan is to get a much lower price than back home :slight_smile:

Even at regular retail price it’s still much cheaper than Europe, so I’g be glad to pay full retail if they could give me some nice gifts. The official Giant store here in Yilan told me they couldn’t offer a discount with the credit card, but they could give me a % of the value of the bike in gifts (that was when I had a Visa, now I can’t buy there), does it work in the same way in Taipei? Or should I just go full “puss in boots” and hope for the best?

Edit: Giant’s Facebook page contacted me (they’re so nice!) to inform me that even Giant stores located within Sogo shopping malls accept American Express.

You should apply for a local bank visa or MasterCard

I cancelled the amex last year because no one in Kaohsiung other than the mall took it and it had a huge annual fee. Their service was good though.

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]Update in case other poor souls are in my same situation and need to rely on American Express: Giant’s flagship store in the Q-square (opposite of the bus station in Taipei) confirmed via email that they can accept American Express.
I’ll be 100% sure of that when I can walk out of their store with a new bike, but they clearly told me that it will work there so fingers crossed![/quote]

That’s their flagship? Really? I don’t think I’ve ever been there.

Works for you. Take the bus straight there, don’t even have to leave the building.

Maybe more like “show room” or “official store” ? >_>

Dunno why, but I didn’t like that shop the times I visited it… may be because it doesn’t feel like a bicycle shop at all, but like a department store shop.

I’ve never been there and from the pictures of that store I get the same feeling…but I don’t mind too much. Maybe I would feel weird to walk there with a dirty bike, all sweaty and stinky asking the staff to check some problem with a derailleur while around me it’s full of well dressed people who want to do some shopping :laughing:

Semi-related (I don’t think it’s worth opening another topic for this): in Taipei is there any bicycle store that accepts American Express? In Yilan my Amex spends most of the time collecting dust, so if I had the chance to use it in Taipei I’d get my new wheels in Skydragon city.
I don’t really know any store in Taipei 8(

My old account! Neat!

Uhm…not sure if that store can order offbrand stuff, but I’ll ask them next time I pass by there. Most official Giant store have a nice stock of Shimano gear.

As in like…the exact same question you asked exactly a year ago? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I still can’t believe you’re running around Taiwan with an AMEX card and not Visa or Mastercard.

The answer was in me all along! My life is like a Disney movie! Just replace the cute talking animals with rapist Drongos.

I HATE Amex. No one accepts it and half of the time it doesn’t work for some unfathomable reasons. Unfortunately my bank abroad switched from Visa to Amex, so I’m stuck with that if I want to have access to my savings 8(

But hey, not being able to use it saves me money, I guess.

Friend just confirmed they accept AMEX.

Friend is also the mechanic there and he’s pretty good. Let me know if you end up going.

At the moment it’s a bit out of the way for me. Since I always take bus to go to Taipei, the Giant store in Q Square is very convenient. Glad to find another cycling store that accepts Amex, though. I’ll definitely save their address. It looks like it’s not too far from Decathlon, I go there every now and then!