Stories of abuse told by students

Okay, I have 2 stories. The first was told by my second grade student. He said his brother once threw a small bird into a pot of cooking water. Yes, the bird was alive. Don’t know if he lived. Doubt it.

No.2 was told by my first grader. Said she saw 2 children near her house threw a puppy or small dog with a big stone and the dog died.

Isn’t great to be an animal lover and hear these wonderful stories at work? (Note the sarcasm.)

I work in a school for kids with emotional problems, in the UK, and the stories you hear are disgusting. Forget about what people do to animals, it’s what they do to their kids thats really sick.
Kid A in my class spent most of his early years locked in a box. No wonder he is mental. Kid B was abused constantly by his parents. He is now a provocative victim who derives sexual gratification from being restrained.
Get your head round that! He hits you, you restrain him, he gets a hard-on.

That’s no reason to extenuate abuse against animals. To me, both are sickening, and you can be sure that sadistic abuse such as the examples described in the OP more often than not leads to the abuses that you described. The two are inextricably interconnected, and we cannot afford to diminish the severity of either.

That’s no reason to extenuate abuse against animals. To me, both are sickening, and you can be sure that sadistic abuse such as the examples described in the OP more often than not leads to the abuses that you described. The two are inextricably interconnected, and we cannot afford to diminish the severity of either.[/quote]

I fail to see the point of a thread listing all the sick things people can and have done to animals. Or that children think others have done to animals.

My post was a way of saying: This thread sucks.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the blindingly obvious.

Agreed.
However, exposing it is part of the solution.

[quote]
The two are inextricably interconnected, and we cannot afford to diminish the severity of either.[/quote]
Agreed.
Both are equally abhorent.

[quote=“TomHill”]
I fail to see the point of a thread listing all the sick things people can and have done to animals. Or that children think others have done to animals.

My post was a way of saying: This thread sucks. [/quote]

Yeah, of course it sucks. Nobody wants to hear about this shit, but sometimes when you hear about something negative all the time, you feel the need to just offload some of it. Hence the loads of threads on forumosa in which people complain about something which they are often powerless to do anything about.

Was that blindingly obvious enough for ya?

And I was just responding to this point that you made, which seemed to me to imply that you consider animal abuse far less of a problem than child abuse:

My pleasure. Would you have responded in the same way if in a similar thread about chid abuse, someone had said, “forget about what people do to kids, it’s what they do to animals that’s really sick”?

[/b]

[quote=“trapjaw”][quote=“TomHill”]

My post was a way of saying: This thread sucks. [/quote]

Yeah, of course it sucks. Nobody wants to hear about this shit, but sometimes when you hear about something negative all the time, you feel the need to just offload some of it. Hence the loads of threads on forumosa in which people complain about something which they are often powerless to do anything about.

Was that blindingly obvious enough for ya?

And I was just responding to this point that you made, which seemed to me to imply that you consider animal abuse far less of a problem than child abuse:

My pleasure. Would you have responded in the same way if in a similar thread about chid abuse, someone had said, “forget about what people do to kids, it’s what they do to animals that’s really sick”?

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, if someone was daft enough to write a thread called, lets discuss child abuse, I’d write something about genocide.

I’m telling you I work with abused kids. I’m not just some prat rattling on for the sake of it. Of course animal cruelty is sick, just as sick as child abuse, and genocide. I just fail to see any merit in a thread detailing sick things people do to animals. Changing the subject was a subtle attempt to kill the thread. I’ll try to be clearer in future.

I didn’t start this post to disguss all the sick things people might do to animals. I just wanted to know if there are any other teachers out there who often have to listen to these kind of stories in the classroom? Or maybe it’s because my students know I’m an animal lover, so they target me! :wink:
It’s a conspiricy!

there is hope, in an advanced class today we discussed a recent article in the taipei times on the controversy about wolves being released into the wild in the western us. all the kids focused on people being selfish and unfair to animals, and that animals needed space to live, only one thought we should “kill all the wolves since they might hurt people or other animals.” i was kind of surprised, i was expecting more on the wolves being dangerous animals.