Strange photo taking

there are other threads about this topic. No permission required to hold a camera in your face, but still it’s rather impolite to do so.

exotic looking locals stick a camera in a tourist’s face or tourists leave the bus and stick a camera in local’s face?
no matter what, no matter someone does it all the time, I think it is impolite.

absolutely!

[quote=“bumclouds”]I feel there’s a bit of a difference between taking a photo of someone walking along the street and holding a camera up to someone’s face in a restaurant.

Who else thinks so?[/quote]
Me. Huge difference IMO between someone taking my picture, and someone standing right next to me pushing a camera in my face. I doubt an attractive women would feel any different if I took a picture of her cleavage standing right next to her. :2cents:

Both good points in the quote. But as you say, if someone shoves a camera inches away from your face to take a picture you’re entitled to tell them to stop because you think it’s rude.

I’m usually enamored with people taking my photograph. By the second click, the dudes from National Geographic usually realize that I’m not endangered, merely estranged. The Japanese tourists, on the other hand, who wish to post me on a bukakke forum, are IMMEDIATELY plied for a free beer.

When I was in Tokyo a few years ago I was sitting on a wall waiting for a museum to open when a professional photographer came over and asked if she could take my picture. I said sure, and then she told me she had an exhibit of her photos a few blocks away. I went to see it, half-afraid that the photo subjects would all be foreign weirdo types. Well, it wasn’t quite that bad, but sure enough most of the photos were of us ‘exotic’ foreigners.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the people taking the photos are mainland Chinese tourists. Next time it happens, ask where they’re from, and why they took your photo.

[quote=“bismarck”]

Both good points in the quote. But as you say, if someone shoves a camera inches away from your face to take a picture you’re entitled to tell them to stop because you think it’s rude.[/quote]

For sure, you’re entitled to tell them to stop. Most people will comply with your wishes. But they don’t have to and if they don’t, there’s nothing you can do about it other than walk away.

1 Like

See, now if I wanted to take a photo of a person closer than, say 50 feet away, I would always ask for their permission first. But then, I’m not a professional photographer. Different boundaries for some folks.

Using a monster lens to take full frame close-ups from 100 yards away is also an invasion of privacy. Paparazzi can go to hell.

I also don’t have many pictures of people in my albums. All that human interaction is too daunting. Besides, most people smell funny when you get close.

Sure, it can be annoying and even embarrassing, but there’s no right to privacy in a public space, and sometimes some good photography might happen. I also hope people who protest at merely being photographed never have to be felt up and have their nude picture taken at an airport when they travel.

I’m flattered rather than affronted when a stranger wants to take my picture. But then again, I suppose I’m not as pretty as the complainers, and far more needy.

My friend ran around on Western New Year Eve, drunk as Orson Welles, shoving his camera in faces and shouting in English HAPPY NEW YEAR!

People were more amused than anything. About 100 people into it, someone just knocked the camera out of his hand. How is that for Taiwanese patience? 100 people!

The whole point is you should just not give such a shit, and learn to speak Mandarin so you can say ever so politely and face-givingly that you find their photography hobby totally sophisticated and artistic and cool, and thus turn the whole experience into a new friend.

Depends who’s doing the nude picture taking and feeling up. :howyoudoin:

Depends who’s doing the nude picture taking and feeling up. :howyoudoin:[/quote]

I’ve heard of optimism but that’s ridiculous :slight_smile:

Depends who’s doing the nude picture taking and feeling up. :howyoudoin:[/quote]

I’ve heard of optimism but that’s ridiculous :slight_smile:[/quote]
Yeah well, you know… :wink:

So is it okay to take pictures up a girl’s skirt on the escalator in a public place?

I also presume we are talking about Taiwan only. In some mulsim countries taking pictures of women in public is forbidden.

In some places in Africa (Rift Valley, etc) you’d be likely to get speared for taking pics of people without permission, and payment. A pound a shot, more if you’re a sucker for their schtick…

That’s their main mode of income, and the spear they carry is not just for show.

[quote=“urodacus”]In some places in Africa (Rift Valley, etc) you’d be likely to get speared for taking pics of people without permission, and payment. A pound a shot, more if you’re a sucker for their schtick…

That’s their main mode of income, and the spear they carry is not just for show.[/quote]
yah they have the right idea. I can’t stand all these amateur photgraphers prowlings the streets these days; taking snap shots of our lives for their amusement.
Spearing them is a good olden day solution to a very modern scourge.

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“urodacus”]In some places in Africa (Rift Valley, etc) you’d be likely to get speared for taking pics of people without permission, and payment. A pound a shot, more if you’re a sucker for their schtick…

That’s their main mode of income, and the spear they carry is not just for show.[/quote]
yah they have the right idea. I can’t stand all these amateur photgraphers prowlings the streets these days; taking snap shots of our lives for their amusement.
Spearing them is a good olden day solution to a very modern scourge.[/quote]

That’s a bit extreme, isn’t it, the whole wanting-me-dead thing? I mean, I find people who wear glasses without frames annoying, but I don’t wish them to be gunned down for it.

Actually putting your camera inside another person’s clothing crosses the line between public and private. However, the photographers who shot Marilyn Monroe over the street grate didn’t seem to have a problem.

Whip out your cell and start taking THEIR picture.

Maybe they have never been out side the country or seem many foreign before. My sister did the same thing when she was here visiting me in USA ( I am an international student in USA), but I immediately told her that is rude. She told me that she just wanted to show her friends that she is here in USA and she sees Americans lol Good thing the person she was taking pic of was one of my friend, so she didn’t care too much. And NOW my sister know that if she wants to take a pic of anyone she should ask politely FIRST ha

Is it really that bad n the US now? Should I even bother taking a camera when I visit?