Strange photo taking

Henri Cartier-Bresson would be turning in his grave if he read some of the posts here.

1 Like

Ilovetw, how come you know it is rude and she doesnā€™t?
Do you actually think it is rude, or do you just know from your stay in the US that Americans consider it to be rude?

[quote=ā€œPoagaoā€][quote=ā€œfenlanderā€][quote=ā€œurodacusā€]In some places in Africa (Rift Valley, etc) youā€™d be likely to get speared for taking pics of people without permission, and payment. A pound a shot, more if youā€™re a sucker for their schtickā€¦

Thatā€™s their main mode of income, and the spear they carry is not just for show.[/quote]
yah they have the right idea. I canā€™t stand all these amateur photgraphers prowlings the streets these days; taking snap shots of our lives for their amusement.
Spearing them is a good olden day solution to a very modern scourge.[/quote]

Thatā€™s a bit extreme, isnā€™t it, the whole wanting-me-dead thing? I mean, I find people who wear glasses without frames annoying, but I donā€™t wish them to be gunned down for it.

Actually putting your camera inside another personā€™s clothing crosses the line between public and private. However, the photographers who shot Marilyn Monroe over the street grate didnā€™t seem to have a problem.[/quote]
What about if a man stands under a staircase taking pictures up their skirts?
Killing is extreme yes I agree but sometimes ā€¦

Wait! What? We arenā€™t supposed to do that?

Wait! What? We arenā€™t supposed to do that?[/quote]

Not unless itā€™s made of glass!

Wait! What? We arenā€™t supposed to do that?[/quote]

Not unless itā€™s made of glass![/quote]
Damn it! So thatā€™s the problem! At first I thought they were giving me lascivious looks, but it never quite matches the loud cursing. I always wondered about that. :ponder: Next thing youā€™re going to tell me is that them chasing me isnā€™t because they want to give me their numbers, and here I was thinking I finally understood Taiwanese culture!

[quote=ā€œtoudukeā€]
Do you actually think it is rude, or do you just know from your stay in the US that Americans consider it to be rude?[/quote]
Iā€™m American and grew up near Houston, TX. I know for a fact that there are people in many areas of the country, especially in large urban areas, that will not hesitate to inflict bodily harm if a stranger lifts a camera in their direction without permission, in a public place not withstanding. Even if they see you do it from a distance you better have your running shoes on, or body armor, and thatā€™s not an exageration.

[quote=ā€œkjmilligā€][quote=ā€œtoudukeā€]
Do you actually think it is rude, or do you just know from your stay in the US that Americans consider it to be rude?[/quote]
Iā€™m American and grew up near Houston, TX. I know for a fact that there are people in many areas of the country, especially in large urban areas, that will not hesitate to inflict bodily harm if a stranger lifts a camera in their direction without permission, in a public place not withstanding. Even if they see you do it from a distance you better have your running shoes on, or body armor, and thatā€™s not an exageration.[/quote]

I also grew up near Houston, unfortunately, and itā€™s probably true that conditions are so poor that, camera or no, in some sections you could be killed just for looking at someone the wrong way. Fortunately Taiwan doesnā€™t have so many such issues. If you want to take photos in a place like Houston you might as well take a gun with you as well. Sad, really.

Odd you guys talking about such situations in Houston etc. When I came to Taiwan 8+ years ago you never even saw a digital camera, and it was my first purchase in Taiwan. So most people didnā€™t carry around cameras, and I canā€™t remember people taking pictures of anyone except for families taking pictures of each other etc.
The looking at someone ā€œwrongā€ issue is pretty prevalent there though.

So, in this I have to go with Poagao. Iā€™m happy Taiwan doesnā€™t have these issues.

What nonsense. I lived in Houston for two years, and Iā€™ve lived in and/or visited major cities all over the US. Thereā€™s plenty of international tourists in Houston and elsewhere taking pictures of anything and anyone, and nobody cares. OK, maybe if youā€™re roaming a ghetto and taking pictures of thugs 3 inches from their faces youā€™re going to be in trouble. But body armor for walking around major urban centers, taking snaps? Running shoes? Give me a break. :unamused:

You got any pictures :smiley: ?

Ilovetw, how come you know it is rude and she doesnā€™t?

I guess I found that out from staying in the US for the past 6 years lol

Reviving this post rather than creating a new one since itā€™s somehow related.

I was at the local Tax Bureau today and while waiting for my turn two guys approached me and gave me a leaflet on how to behave in the event of a natural disaster. One of them was wearing a polo shirt with the logo of some government agency, although I didnā€™t have the time to focus on it. I noticed that the other guy was standing behind and holding a phone and I kind of had the feeling that he was taking photos of me receiving the leaflet, but I was not sure. After me, they approached another lady and that is when I saw that the other guy was indeed taking photos. I immediately approached them asking why they were photographing us and how the photos would be used, if anything. They tried to ignore me at first, then mumbled a few ā€œitā€™s okā€ and tried to go away, which is when I told them to delete the photos that they had taken of me. They didnā€™t want to comply and only did it when I said that itā€™s illegal to take photos of people without permission.

The word ā€œillegalā€ popped out of my mouth mostly because I was p****d by their attitude, but is it really? Or is asking for permission just a matter of politeness and having a photo deleted just a matter of whether the other party agrees to do it or not?

Itā€™s not illegal to take photos of people in a public space. Iā€™m a photographer. I know the law. Itā€™s illegal in some countries but not that many.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply :slightly_smiling_face: I work with photographers so I know this ā€œgeneralā€ rule, but does it apply to my situation as well to your understanding?

No idea. :sweat_smile: Iā€™d ask them to delete the photo and contact whoever they represent to complain. If they gave you a pamphlet there must be details in it.

One thought, maybe they were auditing their own work for their supervisor.

2 Likes

No worries :slightly_smiling_face: I got it sorted out so Iā€™m not gonna pursue it further. I was just curious since I donā€™t like to use the word ā€œillegalā€ improperly.

Yes, that is what I thought too. But damn they should have just said it instead of trying to run away :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Only two situations I know of in which you MUST delete photographs:

1. You take photos of a newsworthy bikini wearing girl at SizĒhwan beach and then accidentally cross military land trying to get to Shoushan park but get spotted by a patrolling soldier. They will make you delete your photos of the nine dragon banyan tree. Just do what they say and sign your name and everything will be fine.

2. You are the boyfriend of a bikini wearing girl and she decides she looks a little fat in one of your photos. You really should avoid this extremely risky situation.

Happened to me. No sense of respect. Be ready next time though. Face palm them

I would be concerned about people waving cameras around anywhere personal information is being passed around ā€” banks, drs offices, hospitals, and I guess the tax bureau. The tax bureau isnā€™t as extreme as my other examples, since everyone is going to the same places to file their taxes, but itā€™s none of other peoples business where youā€™re going for those other things (and maybe even a violation of HIPAA in the US if itā€™s a medical location). You also have no idea what other photos they might be taking (your ID number, bank info, etc), which is a big no-no, especially if thatā€™s in combination with photos of you.

But it probably is ā€œevidenceā€ for their boss that they did in fact physically hand the flyers out to actual, different people and didnā€™t just drop them in the trash. This is a trust issue in Taiwan that kind of makes me wonder why the flyers needed to be handed out in the first placeā€¦

2 Likes