Stray dogs problem

sorta like the taiwanese gangsters going past the taiwanese policemen?

:slight_smile:

[quote=“BigNoodle”]in my neighborood, stray cats problem is solved by stray dogs (witnessed it myself) I wish they’d take care of the rats instead.
(on the other hand, rats take care of the cockroaches !)[/quote]

That would explain why the cats round here are permanently terrified.

I would suggest the feral cat population would help with that…BUT.…they are too well-fed by the locals to give a damn about catching and killing the rats.[/quote]

I think a rat could put up a pretty good fight against a cat. My cat in the UK managed to kill two but they were babies (then again, she didn’t have any teeth).

What is it with the cats round here? They’re all such scaredy cats. In the UK most cats will stop for a tickle and a stroke, here they’re terrified if you approach them. I’m getting cat withdrawal syndrome.[/quote]

I think you’re confusing “stray” and “feral”. A formerly socialized cat (stray) will interact with humans but a true feral will not let you approach it. Cats always avoid confrontation with larger animals (and people) if they can, but that doesn’t indicate it is scared. A cornered feral cat will switch from escape mode to fight mode in the blink of an eye and can inflict severe injuries.

Remember that unlike feral dogs, which have to beg or scavenge for food, a feral cat can hunt its own meals, meaning it never has to rely on humans for anything …

[quote=“monkey”]

I think you’re confusing “stray” and “feral”. A formerly socialized cat (stray) will interact with humans but a true feral will not let you approach it. Cats always avoid confrontation with larger animals (and people) if they can, but that doesn’t indicate it is scared. A cornered feral cat will switch from escape mode to fight mode in the blink of an eye and can inflict severe injuries.

Remember that unlike feral dogs, which have to beg or scavenge for food, a feral cat can hunt its own meals, meaning it never has to rely on humans for anything …[/quote]

All the cats round here must be feral then, because none of them will allow you to approach. Yet they all look in good condition.

I found a couple of studies on Google Scholar.

Animal Protection Measures in Taiwan: Taiwanese Attitudes Toward the Animal Protection Law and Animal Shelters
https://www.animalsandsociety.org/assets/library/137_jaws09046.pdf

[quote]The findings from this study showed that the education programs regarding the Animal Protection Law and animal shelters developed and distributed by the government are not being effectively communicated. Although the majority of the respondents understood that Taiwan has legal protection for animals and that there are animal shelters available, this study also demonstrated the differences among the populace in understanding, obedience, and enforcement of the Animal Protection Law and use, impression, and expectations of animal shelters.

We found that the majority of Taiwanese—even dog owners—did not have adequate knowledge about the pet dog related requirements in the Animal Protection Law. The requirement for relinquishing unwanted animals to shelters was the least recognized among the requirements investigated. The percentage of dog licensing reported in this study (45%) was in reasonable agreement with 50% reported by the Taiwanese government (Council of Agriculture, 2002). Although a substantial proportion of the study’s owners reportedly did not comply with all the law’s requirements, none of them admitted being penalized.[/quote]

Dog Keeping in Taiwan: Its Contribution to the Problem of Free-Roaming Dogs
http://3d.f9bed1.client.atlantech.net/assets/library/172_jaws060101.pdf

Edit: But I think a whole lot of effort would be saved - not just on stray animals but any situation relating to the enforcement of the law here in Taiwan - if people read this:
A Reasonable Balance of Law and Sentiment: Social Order in Democratic Taiwan from the Policeman’s Point of View
http://www.hss.nthu.edu.tw/~anth/new_web/cpsub/data/Martin.pdf

Page 669 is particularly good.

[quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“monkey”]

Remember that unlike feral dogs, which have to beg or scavenge for food, a feral cat can hunt its own meals, meaning it never has to rely on humans for anything …[/quote]

All the cats round here must be feral then, because none of them will allow you to approach. Yet they all look in good condition.[/quote]

That’s a good thing, isn’t it? Usually the dominant toms look a bit scruffy though from constant fighting. Maybe you can pick up a young feral from the pound and adopt it. They can be tamed using a cage, cans of tuna, and bags of patience. If it bonds with you, you will have a very loyal and affectionate cat.

You gotta admit though, compared with US, I hardly see any roadkills in the 'wan (only once in my 2 1/2 years of driving here).

They clean them up real quick, after scanning for chips.

Nice typo. :laughing:[/quote]

oops. Well we could have some bread, and dog. Dam 7-11 beat me to it.

hahaha.
Long time ago In Taiwan people eat stray dog and not have problem.
Black dog taste best, and never see a black dog stray when many years ago.
But too many farang complain about Taiwan people eat dog, Korea people eat dog, Thai people eat dog.
Now nobody eat dog, and farang now complain stray dog problem.

They don’t complain about people eating dogs. They complain about people being cruel to dogs - i.e., the same reason underlying the strays problem.

If people want to eat stray dogs I guess that’s up to them, but if they believe it’s good for their health they might want to think about what stray dogs eat.

They clean them up real quick, after scanning for chips.[/quote]

As I drove on the overpass to Guandu bridge this evening, I swear I saw a dog just standing there on the left side of the overpass. How the hell did it get there? Anyway, I was quite amazed that it hasn’t turned into another roadkill when I drove pass it (can’t stop to retrieve/save it or else I’d cause an accident…).

Darn canines here in the 'wan do have an acute sense of obeying the traffic by not getting in front of it.

Taiwanese dog has some amazing sense to avoid traffic…

My friend’s Beagle is an American dog, and everytime he manages to get outside he gets hit by a car.

I’ve seen them stand at pedestrian crossings and wait for the green light. I’m pretty certain they’re not just copying the humans, because they just cross regardless.

Honestly, no. They get hit all the time. Forumosa’s own Stray Dog (aka Sean McCormack) has rescued enough dogs that have been hit and lost a leg to fill a large house (his own). A really nice story is Plucky, who we thought was paralyzed in both back legs from being hit. Turned out one leg was still good and after amputation he is now walking around like a champ.

facebook.com/seanimals/posts/229079063830926

I’m really sorry to hear about your son’s incident, and that of the other boy. The river parks certainly are full of stray dogs, however I’ve never experienced any serious aggression from them. They usually just lay around sunning themselves. Some packs have barked at my dog when we’ve been on a walk, but never come close. I’ve had some dogs chase me when I’m biking to WuLai, but when I stop, they stop.

I’m conflicted on what should be done about the stray animal situation in Taiwan. They are all over, city and countryside. I admire the efforts private citizens here, including foreigners, make to address the situation, though.

Have you ever considered, though, that you had some responsibility for watching over your son to prevent him from getting into harms way? After all, we share this planet with all sorts of creatures, and some are dangerous. Car drivers, for example. I bet you take care that your son doesn’t run out into the street, though. Certainly, it would be prudent to make sure he doesn’t stroll into a pack of stray animals.

I’m really sorry to hear about your son’s incident, and that of the other boy. The river parks certainly are full of stray dogs, however I’ve never experienced any serious aggression from them. They usually just lay around sunning themselves. Some packs have barked at my dog when we’ve been on a walk, but never come close. I’ve had some dogs chase me when I’m biking to Wulai, but when I stop, they stop.

I’m conflicted on what should be done about the stray animal situation in Taiwan. They are all over, city and countryside. I admire the efforts private citizens here, including foreigners, make to address the situation, though.

Have you ever considered, though, that you had some responsibility for watching over your son to prevent him from getting into harms way? After all, we share this planet with all sorts of creatures, and some are dangerous. Car drivers, for example. I bet you take care that your son doesn’t run out into the street, though. Certainly, it would be prudent to make sure he doesn’t stroll into a pack of stray animals.[/quote]

Yes, I thought someone would make that kind of comment. Internet parenting lessons from a complete stranger who wasn’t there and has no idea what happened. My son didn’t ‘stroll’ into a pack of stray animals. He walked towards them because that was the way his basketball went. Maybe he should have got a ten foot pole from somewhere to get his ball back? Have you considered that the reason you haven’t experienced any serious aggression is because you’re a fully grown man?

Luckily for my son he was surrounded by groups of adults and once he’d been bitten the dogs backed off. When the six year old was attacked he was out in the middle of an open area alone while his dad was running around the track. The dogs had him surrounded and he was on his back on the ground. I tell you I was (expletive) terrified for him. I don’t know what he did to attract their attention but it’s a ridiculous situation where a child can’t play in a park because it might get attacked by stray dogs. If that kind of situation is acceptable and the answer is just for everyone to be extra careful they don’t upset the dogs Taiwan may as well be a third world country. This isn’t a riverside park, by the way, it’s a residential park. The dogs are a pack and they view the park as their territory. I’ve seen them chase unleashed pet dogs out of it.

And if I’m grumpy it’s because one of them has kept me awake all night with its barking. :raspberry:

[quote=“Petrichor”]Yes, I thought someone would make that kind of comment. Internet parenting lessons from a complete stranger who wasn’t there and has no idea what happened. My son didn’t ‘stroll’ into a pack of stray animals. He walked towards them because that was the way his basketball went. Maybe he should have got a ten foot pole from somewhere to get his ball back? Have you considered that the reason you haven’t experienced any serious aggression is because you’re a fully grown man?

Luckily for my son he was surrounded by groups of adults and once he’d been bitten the dogs backed off. When the six year old was attacked he was out in the middle of an open area alone while his dad was running around the track. The dogs had him surrounded and he was on his back on the ground. I tell you I was (expletive) terrified for him. I don’t know what he did to attract their attention but it’s a ridiculous situation where a child can’t play in a park because it might get attacked by stray dogs. If that kind of situation is acceptable and the answer is just for everyone to be extra careful they don’t upset the dogs Taiwan may as well be a third world country. This isn’t a riverside park, by the way, it’s a residential park. The dogs are a pack and they view the park as their territory. I’ve seen them chase unleashed pet dogs out of it.

And if I’m grumpy it’s because one of them has kept me awake all night with its barking. :raspberry:[/quote]
Then why did you put it out there? Would you be saying the same thing if he chased his basketball out into the street? Is the responsibility to supervise any different? Call me an Internet parent, but all too often people seem to put the responsibility to supervise their kids on to the public.

And the dog that was barking may not have been a stray. The dogs who do the most barking in my neighborhood, anyway, are owned by people who are gone most of the day and keep them locked up alone.

Why did I put what out there? The basketball or the child? There’s a basketball court in the park. Are you suggesting that children shouldn’t play basketball there or that they shouldn’t play in a public park?