Street fight! Foreigner vs. Local man! TVBS!

Uh, is it just me, or have people forgotten to ask the obvious question, which is: what the hell are people doing with weapons like bats, machetes and saws in their vehicles?

Husband: “Hey, honey, I’m going to go pick something up at the store.”

Wife: “Oh, ok, no problem…just don’t forget to take the machete!”

Let’s also not forget that this is “their” country. We are on “their” turf. We may not like some of the things that happen to us, but that doesn’t give us the right to act superior to or put down the locals in a way that shows that we might look down on them. I think Foreigners and ABCs sometimes forget this. In the cases like this that I’ve witnessed, it’s almost always the Foreigner or ABC that gets a good beatdown when a bunch of the local guy’s friends/gang show up. The next time you feel the urge to do something that might get you into a fight, ask yourself if you would do the same in your home country in the same situation. If not, what makes it ok to do it in Taiwan?

Just my 2 cents, take it for whatever you think it’s worth.

That’s just it - in Canada people flip the bird all the time. It’s no big deal, and is often answered with a dismissive wave, or a reciprocated finger. Nobody feels that they’ve lost face and must defend their honor. I usually don’t try too hard to determine the nationality of the other driver either - I assume they’re Canadian. Now obviously, I have no illusions about my ethnic and national identity in Taiwan. It would be nice, though if people could be a little more easy-going about personal slights. Sticks and stones, and all…

I saw that story on TVBS…

Apparently the gist of it was that the foreign guy and the local chap came to heated debate over who was going to get an empty parking bay, or something suchlike… after a pointed “discussion” the local chap made several slurs in Taiwanese, the foreign guy realizing they were undoubtedly directed at him, decided enough was enough and being a fairly robust guy starting shoving the local lad around a little… the local lad, not to be massively out-faced by the foreigner in front of the assembled Taiwanese onlookers, responded in kind although somewhat half heartedly… that is until the foreigner got the upper hand by shoving him around a bit and then flying the bird in his face whilst telling him in no uncertain, and very colorful terms, just how lacking he was in moral fiber… upon which the local decided the only thing that could rein in his rapidly dwindling face would be to grab his bat from his car… the foreigner realizing, the local lad’s intentions bolted to his car to get his own, sawn off bat, but being a little slow to respond would have taken a cracker to the side of the head mid reach into his car, if the Taiwanese chap hadn’t decided not to follow through with his attack… at around this point the cops arrived, confiscated the sporting equipment and the combatants both produced “justifications” for their aggressive behavior, namely a 3 year old grand daughter (local lad) and a pregnant wife (foreign guy) from their respective cars… thus the face equilibrium seemingly restored to an acceptable level, both parties after a little smack talking, both went their separate ways looking like complete dolts… :unamused:

That’s as much as I could glean…

I seem to remember back home, there is some kind of law that says if you have a bat in your car, but no ball, then it is considered a weapon, and can be used to establish that you had intent to use it as a weapon from the start.

So, if you were to get pulled over for something, and they found a bat in your car, but no ball, there would be grounds to cite you.

So, I guess if you’re going to have bat in your car, make sure you have a ball and glove too. :laughing:

Yeah, possession of a bat may lead to the charge of possession of deadly weapons. However, the presence of gloves and balls will not fully exonerate the suspect of that charge. The fact-finder, whether the judge or the jury, still needs to be convinced that the bat is not intended to be used as a deadly weapon.
Also, when bat is used in cases involving battery or manslaughter, the “general intent” can be inferred from the mere possession of the bat. In cases where “specific intent” needs to be proven, viz., assault or murder cases, possession of the bat alone does not give sufficient grounds for conviction.

Thank, Plasmatron, i was waiting a long time to hear…the rest of the story. you da man!

One thing is for sure: I wouldn’t try to take a parking space away from an East German dude here, or get out of the car and shove him even if he did yell racial slur at me… the Police would’ve jailed me for attempted assault or something like that, after I get beat up by the dude’s friends for being an unruly guest of their country.

Come to think of it, I wouldn’t do that in the US either. Relatively speaking, it’s amazing how much people diss the Taiwanese police, and how much lee-way the Taiwanese general public gives foreigners.

Right on. I’ve been pulled over by the cops for driving normally (you see, they have these special hours of the day when the traffic cops hang around intersections and actually try enforcing the traffic laws, so you can’t do normal Taiwan driving stuff like turning right on a red light) plenty of times, and not once been issued a ticket, but just been waved on after a warning.

Must be nice they took away my plates for driving where I should not have been driving. I was extremely lost and followed a bunch of scooters. We all got busted.

[quote=“scoffeecats”]It has gotten better, but there’s used to be a time the gangsters were really bad in tw
so that if anyone had a traffic accident it would be best to run as fast you could, never get out of the car…anyway, that was over 10 years ago :P[/quote]

Wrong…some drunk asshole rear ended me 4-5 months ago. I got out to look at the damage and his brain dead friend decided to pick a fight. The driver and other passenger hauled him back into the car (I told them I was not looking for trouble, just to assess damage)…I suspect that the sight of a 6’5" 220lb guy with multiple earrings in a leather jacket MIGHT have intimidated them…the other guy was too drunk :frowning:. Nothing came of it, my wife was a little disturbed…I was basically a little irritated.

BTW, I drive a Matiz :smiley:.