Street Performing License

I read in the newspaper that Taipei and some other cities grant street performing licenses to people, so play for money on the street. Does anyone have more info on that. Where do you apply? Has anyone tried?

Curious,

Schwarzwald

No, but when you secure a license be sure not to take the spot from a local gangster, where they put the disabled people to beg for money.

[quote=“schwarzwald”]I read in the newspaper that Taipei and some other cities grant street performing licenses to people, so play for money on the street. Does anyone have more info on that. Where do you apply? Has anyone tried?

Curious,

Schwarzwald[/quote]

Unless you have a JFRV, I don’t think you can get one. At least not down south. They have really been hasseling the foriegn musicians down here, one was even deported awhile back. Make sure you check with the Cops in your area.

You can get them in Danshui. I knew a person who used to play up there, out on the waterfront. I don’t know what the process was, but AFAIK all it took was a passport and a residential or renewable “student” visitor visa. Once you’ve got it, you’ve got certain times of day you can perform, and when you start and finish for the day you have to get one of the local cops - at Danshui they have an office on the waterfront for it - to sign off on the form they’ll give you as a license.

Do you apply at the city office, or police? Does this fall outside the usual employment regulations, like ESA, etc? Thanks for helping.

Just found this notice from the Taipei City Government

Street Legal—New Rules for Performers in Taipei

– April 14, 2005 –
Taipei City Government adopted a new regulation for dealing with street performers during a meeting on April 12. The new regulations will come into force later this year.

The new rule will encourage the development of Taipei’s performance art, and promote the habit among residents to pay for these performances. This will allow the city to develop a lively street-performance culture.

Department of Cultural Affairs Commissioner Sebastian Liao remarked that the new regulation is the result of a year’s worth of testing and modification. Public spaces in Taipei City are now totally open to street performers. “Street performance” extends to arts and crafts, like the making of flour miniature figurines. Licenses will be for a year, with review required only twice each year.

The regulations place the following responsibilities upon performers: registering for permission and licenses, and paying related fees; observing laws governing the use of public space; and making licenses visible during performances.

To be honest, I’m not sure. With the police, I think. And AFAIK it’s completely unrelated to the normal employment regulations - you don’t get a visa or ARC for it (nor do you need them, by the look of it), all that.

Don’t get your hopes up. The cops and city government can get pretty shitty at foreign performers, especially if they earn more money than locals nearby, who then proceed to work the guanxi and pull strings. Then they’ll find any excuse to mess with you.

Hey All,

2 Acres Plowed was invited to do a show but was informed we needed a Street Performers License. Anyone have any info on how and where to get one of these? Any help, links, directions, or suggestions (as long as they are clean or fun) would be appreciated.

Sounds like something the local government is handling.
In your case, that looks like the Taoyuan County government. Google them, or if you don’t read and write Chinese, have a local friend search it on the Internet.

[color=green]There’s a thread on this over in Work, so I’m merging this into it. DB, WCIF Mod[/color]