Strolling Egg-Laying Midnight Turtles

About a week ago, probably from the nearby Stinky Ditch, though that has 3m+ vertical concrete sides so I dunno how they got out.

Not seen that before, There was another one trudging along the same road (where I park my car) otherwise I probably wouldn’t have noticed this one. Must be the season.

Around midnight, with a 3/4 bright yellow (gibbous?) moon, which might be a synchronising environmental cue.

Oh wait…thought this was “Pets and Other Animals” These were wild so no adoption needed.

Is there no longer a place for wild animals on Forumosa? Sign Of The Times?

8 Likes

In the right place now. Pets is still there

Now is the time. Please post turtle laying photos here.

Actually may not be good to post specific locations because plenty of asshats go and dig up eggs for food.

2 Likes

This is the moon you saw yesterday:

Screenshot_2023-04-20-08-33-03-862_com.fxwill.simplemoonphasecalendar-edit

Not really a gibbous moon :waning_gibbous_moon:

1 Like

Nobody mentioned yesterday.
Well, except Paul McCartney, and that was A Long Long Time Ago.

Ooos, sorry. About a week ago:

Screenshot_2023-04-20-12-28-24-257_com.fxwill.simplemoonphasecalendar-edit

nice find, lucky you. not so often we can happen upon them at that very moment! bust of luck to the little ones. hopefully not many dogs n cats about.

Can be quite a long moment apparently, since this one wasn’t doing much.
Quite a lot of dogs and cats about, and this is cultivated ground so not guaranteed undisturbed.
About how long to emergence of hatchlings?

Really? The eggs would be pretty small.

Apparently the main human predation on these turtles is for the shells, which are used in “divination”.

Thats several sizes bigger asshattery than simply using them for food.

IMO, of course

My error. You said ‘turtle’ which I saw through my local bias as an oceanic turtle. Plus not wearing glasses.

You are perhaps talking about the Chinese pond turtle. Reasonably common in Taiwan
And that would explain why it’s inland and not on a beach!

And much smaller of course than an oceanic turtle like a green turtle.

Their eggs may be safe! But yes, they are still caught and killed for their shells for use in divination and for Chinese (fake) medicine.

Probably 2 months ish for incubation. rodents, cats, dogs, birds and humans (usually for pets with babies) and the odd snake. in human disturbed areas, not a lot survive. but as your picture proves, some do :slight_smile:

in my travels, and in recent years, these turtles are used less and less for food/medicine/decoration/bullshit. moreso for pets. there are certainly exceptions still. but I haven’t really gotten that urge that this species is now truly endangered for small duck type purposes anymore. I feel it is more habitat destruction, people poaching for pets and feral animals that are the main risks now for that one. Just my opinion.

regardless, this should be a positive experience.ce to witness. I always feel amazing when I am gifted such an experience. the beauty of nature unfolding in front of your eyes :slight_smile: