Stuck

You are considered a minor in Taiwan until your 20th birthday, but don’t you also have a Canadian passport because you are a Canadian citizen? If yes, I would recommend that you go to the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei and ask for advice there:
canada.org.tw/taiwan/contact … x?lang=eng
In this context, here is some information about the age of majority in the provinces of Canada:
canadaonline.about.com/od/canadi … jority.htm - I don’t now whether this is, indeed, useful information but have a feeling that it might turn out to be useful.
About the question of giving up your Taiwanese citizenship: since you don’t speak much Chinese I would like to suggest that you ask at the Canadian Trade Office for an interpreter who can help you to talk to the relevant offices in Taiwan - first of all to find out whether it is even necessary to give it up at all, and if the answer turns out to be “yes”, how to do that. I doubt there are many people on this BBS who have dual citzenship of Taiwan and Canada or who have gone through the kind of situation you are in, and therefore it will very difficult for you to get the advice here that you are asking for - talk to the Canadian office first…
Good luck![/quote]

thanks for the first good advice, and to the matter of giving up my taiwanese citizenship it doesnt really matter because in the future i will probably end up renouncing for an american citizenship anyways. and yes i do have a canadian passport but what may be a problem is the fact that i didn’t enter the country on my canadian passport, and perhaps the embassy may have no say in the issue.

[quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“D.Stark”]I am an 18 year old student that recently finished high school in Canada I was born in Canada and have lived there for my whole life. I have been living in Taiwan for the past year but due to some familial issues, I have decided to move back. The problem is that my parents refuse to buy me an airplane ticket back. I have little money and my Chinese is not very good which makes it hard for me to find a job. I entered the country on a Taiwan passport which I obtained because my father is of Taiwanese nationality. I don’t want to be drafted into the military, but I have no way of getting back. What are my options in my situations.
:ponder: :cry:

I’m willing to sue my parents if anyone can give me justifiable cause.[/quote]

I can empathize with you. There was a time when I disliked Taiwan too. I was a teen then too. I couldn’t care less about living here or learning Chinese for that matter. However, as it turns out, I ended up here anyway. Life here is not so bad. And there are far more English speaking girls than you might imagine. Actually, it’s kind of interesting developing a relationship with a girl who is learning English. Sharing about cultures with each other is a definite plus (for me). Who knows? While you are here, you may end up meeting a hot Taiwanese girl. :wink:

You don’t need to speak Chinese to find a job. It helps, but you can still find a good job.

Going back to Canada because of “familial issues” makes it sound like you are running away from a situation. If you want to show your parents that you are mature enough to live on your own, then you need to prove it by settling your “familial issues” in a mature manner. Running away doesn’t help anything.

Good luck.[/quote]

thanks for the empathy. the truth is it may seem like im running from the issues but its more about my future im concerned about. i honestly believe i can have a much better future in canada, well at least receiving my education in canada. i have a very well thought out plan for up to 10 years but when i try thinking of a plan here i draw a blank. possibly due to the unfamiliarity of my surroundings and the cultural differences. and for some reasons the only asians i find attractive are the ones in tv and music videos.

You are considered a minor in Taiwan until your 20th birthday, but don’t you also have a Canadian passport because you are a Canadian citizen? If yes, I would recommend that you go to the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei and ask for advice there:
In this context, here is some information about the age of majority in the provinces of Canada:
canadaonline.about.com/od/canadi … jority.htm - I don’t now whether this is, indeed, useful information but have a feeling that it might turn out to be useful.
About the question of giving up your Taiwanese citizenship: since you don’t speak much Chinese I would like to suggest that you ask at the Canadian Trade Office for an interpreter who can help you to talk to the relevant offices in Taiwan - first of all to find out whether it is even necessary to give it up at all, and if the answer turns out to be “yes”, how to do that. I doubt there are many people on this BBS who have dual citzenship of Taiwan and Canada or who have gone through the kind of situation you are in, and therefore it will very difficult for you to get the advice here that you are asking for - talk to the Canadian office first…
Good luck![/quote]

thanks for the first good advice, and to the matter of giving up my taiwanese citizenship it doesnt really matter because in the future i will probably end up renouncing for an American citizenship anyways. and yes I do have a Canadian passport but what may be a problem is the fact that i didn’t enter the country on my Canadian passport, and perhaps the embassy may have no say in the issue.[/quote]

I just read your thread Master Stark and while I completely empathize with you and your situation, this is not the “first” good advices you’ve gotten. You’ve gotten lots of good advices, just none to your liking. I’ve been on my own since I was 18. Always made my own way. But I’m a bad example…

Alcohol can cure that, albeit temporarily. :thumbsup:

Good luck![/quote]

thanks for the first good advice, and to the matter of giving up my taiwanese citizenship it doesnt really matter because in the future i will probably end up renouncing for an American citizenship anyways. and yes I do have a Canadian passport but what may be a problem is the fact that i didn’t enter the country on my Canadian passport, and perhaps the embassy may have no say in the issue.[/quote]

I just read your thread Master Stark and while I completely empathize with you and your situation, this is not the “first” good advices you’ve gotten. You’ve gotten lots of good advices, just none to your liking. I’ve been on my own since I was 18. Always made my own way. But I’m a bad example…[/quote]

i guess.

Alcohol can cure that, albeit temporarily. :thumbsup:[/quote]
never had more than a can of beer. :s

I can understand wanting to set your future straight while you still can. My situation isn’t very much like yours, but I bolted from my parents as soon as I graduated from college. I’ve been in Taiwan for three years trying to be as independent from my family as possible. At the moment I’m doing fine, but I’m beginning to realize that the longer I stay in Taiwan, the more certain options like grad school become unavailable, limited, or extremely expensive because I haven’t been resident in the US. If going to university in Canada is that important to you, I would explain to your parents why that is. Definitely do some research and figure out what the pros and cons of going to Canada/Taiwan are, and find out how difficult it’s going to be for you to settle back in Canada, if and when you go back. Take your research and lay it out in front of your parents. Your parents might be insistent on you staying here now because you’re 18, but they can’t expect to keep you here forever as you get older. Eventually you need to make life decisions on your own, and they really shouldn’t nor can they keep controlling you throughout your young adult life.

Is it safe to assume you’re not going to school this year? That you’re taking a year off? If that’s the case, I’d wouldn’t worry too much about not being in Canada right now. Make your plans for next year, and meanwhile try to take advantage of your situation being abroad. There are plenty of successful people who take a year off between high school and college to travel, study something on their own, do some projects, or work. Perhaps you could volunteer? Whatever you end up doing, as long as you stay busy, it might look pretty good to some universities, and maybe your parents will chill out and cut you some slack after a few months when they see that you can be independent and productive.

[quote=“xiaojuan”]I can understand wanting to set your future straight while you still can. My situation isn’t very much like yours, but I bolted from my parents as soon as I graduated from college. I’ve been in Taiwan for three years trying to be as independent from my family as possible. At the moment I’m doing fine, but I’m beginning to realize that the longer I stay in Taiwan, the more certain options like grad school become unavailable, limited, or extremely expensive because I haven’t been resident in the US. If going to university in Canada is that important to you, I would explain to your parents why that is. Definitely do some research and figure out what the pros and cons of going to Canada/Taiwan are, and find out how difficult it’s going to be for you to settle back in Canada, if and when you go back. Take your research and lay it out in front of your parents. Your parents might be insistent on you staying here now because you’re 18, but they can’t expect to keep you here forever as you get older. Eventually you need to make life decisions on your own, and they really shouldn’t nor can they keep controlling you throughout your young adult life.

Is it safe to assume you’re not going to school this year? That you’re taking a year off? If that’s the case, I’d wouldn’t worry too much about not being in Canada right now. Make your plans for next year, and meanwhile try to take advantage of your situation being abroad. There are plenty of successful people who take a year off between high school and college to travel, study something on their own, do some projects, or work. Perhaps you could volunteer? Whatever you end up doing, as long as you stay busy, it might look pretty good to some universities, and maybe your parents will chill out and cut you some slack after a few months when they see that you can be independent and productive.[/quote]

your absolutely right. but i have tried to show my father and mother my research, but they honestly don’t care enough to glance for more than a second.

never had more than a can of beer. :s[/quote]
That also is easily solved. :wink:

Dude, you’re very young. Relax. Make Dads happy for now, because the alternative you’re considering (suing him) is serious bridge burning, but let him know that what you really want to do is go back to Canaduh. And please, share your 10 year plan! Dads love forward thinking!

Good luck.

never had more than a can of beer. :s[/quote]
That also is easily solved. :wink:

Dude, you’re very young. Relax. Make Dads happy for now, because the alternative you’re considering (suing him) is serious bridge burning, but let him know that what you really want to do is go back to Canaduh. And please, share your 10 year plan! Dads love forward thinking!

Good luck.[/quote]
thanks

You want to support yourself, yet you insist father pay your airfare back to Canada. :ponder: Get a job man, it really is that simple.

[quote]Any ideas?

He also took down my Internet about 4 months ago. I latch in to the wifi with my iPhone since that’s the best I can do.
He blocked my xbox wifi as well. So I basically sit at home all day doing nothing. He bought a iMac that he places in the dining room and states it’s a family computer but when I go on and forget to log off Facebook he sets up a password the next day.
[/quote]

I don’t think it is unreasonable for him to expect something more than you sitting around the house playing video games, on his dime. You’ve been here a year, sounds like you haven’t done much to solve your problem. Seeking instant gratification is sure to keep you unhappy. Try changing your perception a little my friend. Make a plan right now, and follow it. You’ll be in Canada by next year. Come down to Taichung and do some volunteering with me, you may make some connections. If you do, I’ll help you with your resume and teach you how to find a job.

If you were to go to any other country with your Taiwanese passport it would be no problem, but when you entered Taiwan on your Taiwanese passport you became subject to Taiwanese laws as a Taiwanese citizen (not just as a visitor). And that situation will to some extent tie the hands of the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei.
However, you can clearly deduce from this information that, if you were to leave Taiwan and went to another country, the Canadian embassy in that other country would not have its hands tied by Taiwanese laws - try to get as much information as possible about this difference from the office inTaipei and also find out wether you should wait with any moves until you are 19.
Two other things to consider:
When you leave Taiwan use your Taiwanese passport at the airport in Taiwan and then your Canadian passport where you arrive.
If you decide to leave Taiwan but don’t have enough money to go straight to Canada, then Hongkong might be a good choice, since it is not expensive to get there, many people there speak English, the Canadian Embassy there is familiar with Taiwan since they are in charge for visa applications for Taiwanese citizens, and there is a good number of Canadians living there among whom you should be able to find some suitable contacts (even before you go there!).

There is this circular situation where people can only accept advice that they are ready to accept. :wink: :laughing:

Add me to the list of people who’ve been on their own at 18… but in fairness to the OP, i should say that i was not forced to live in a country whose language i did not speak. :slight_smile:

Really? For example?

Sounds like an opportunity to begin the necessary change… :thumbsup:

Well, if you are worried about your future, then you might want to consider taking Chinese language courses in NTU. I’m sure your dad would be fine paying for that. Chinese is not that hard to learn. Learning the language will help you to get jobs in Taiwan. Generally speaking, it’s easier to get a job if you are fluent in more than one language. Who knows? Maybe one day you’ll land a job with a company that has offices worldwide, and then maybe you’ll have chances to transfer to an office in Canada.

Plus while you’re studying Chinese, you’ll meet other foreigners who are learning Chinese as well. Maybe you’ll make some new friends. Maybe you’ll even meet your future girlfriend. You’ll probably get chances to meet people from all over the world.

And if you are studying Chinese in NTU, you can probably also join some school clubs (photography, swimming, dance, etc) and meet more people that way. Maybe you’ll discover that you like photography. You have a lot of opportunities. You just need to get out of your “Canada tunnel vision”. If you think that Canada is the best possible future you can have, then you’re going to miss out on a lot.

[quote=“D.Stark”]Any ideas?

He also took down my Internet about 4 months ago. I latch in to the wifi with my iPhone since that’s the best I can do.
He blocked my xbox wifi as well. So I basically sit at home all day doing nothing. He bought a iMac that he places in the dining room and states it’s a family computer but when I go on and forget to log off Facebook he sets up a password the next day.[/quote]

Uhm? Isn’t the answer obvious? Summer is over, ticket prices are lower. eztravel has tickets for 13k before taxes. http://www.eztravel.com.tw/ezec/freefit/ec_fit_main_query.jsp?city_from=TPE&arrLine=205&arrCountry=CA&city_to=YVR&ticket_type=S&ticket_class_section=2

Hock your shit! If it’s a shiny iphone 4 you’ve got, it should do the job. Sell the Xbox. Get rid of all non-essentials. If being here is as bad as you make it out to be, then do what it takes to get out. Hopefully you’ve got friends or family in Canada to stay with until you get on your feet.

OP, so dad cut off the internets. No biggie man! I’d be concerned if he cut off food, water and clothing. You still have T.V. and the internets right?? And an ipod?? That’s more things than many adults have. So daddy bribed you and didn’t deliver. I am happy for him. He is not delivering on his stupid promise. I see it as tough love. ANd for you to bribed?? Now any nice kiddo would not need bribing, usually 17 year olds understand reason. But if you followed your dad to Taiwan, for a wifi and what not, it is sad.

What you don’t realize is, he is keeping you off the streets. He is feeding you, clothing, paying for your education if you wants it, and is ofcourse housing you. If you were half as smart as you think you are, you would bide your time quietly, start earning and make a quit exit.

If you were as smart as you think you are, you would make Baba pay for a solid education and get a real good grounding.

If you think you were smarter than most people around you, you would get a degree a zillion girlfriends, a part time job and a fantastic life till you are ready to fly off sponsored and aided by Baba ofcourse.

Don’t hate father, boy, he is doing what he knows best. No one gets a training in fatherhood.

[quote=“whitetiger”]You want to support yourself, yet you insist father pay your airfare back to Canada. :ponder: Get a job man, it really is that simple.

[quote]Any ideas?

He blocked my xbox wifi as well. So I basically sit at home all day doing nothing. He bought a iMac that he places in the dining room and states it’s a family computer but when I go on and forget to log off Facebook he sets up a password the next day.
[/quote]

I don’t think it is unreasonable for him to expect something more than you sitting around the house playing video games, on his dime. You’ve been here a year, sounds like you haven’t done much to solve your problem. Seeking instant gratification is sure to keep you unhappy. Try changing your perception a little my friend. Make a plan right now, and follow it. You’ll be in Canada by next year. Come down to Taichung and do some volunteering with me, you may make some connections. If you do, I’ll help you with your resume and teach you how to find a job.[/quote]

I did it his way for half the year, and only about 6 months ago I decided I wanted to go back. It’s hard getting a job when you can barely understand what everyone’s saying.

If you were to go to any other country with your Taiwanese passport it would be no problem, but when you entered Taiwan on your Taiwanese passport you became subject to Taiwanese laws as a Taiwanese citizen (not just as a visitor). And that situation will to some extent tie the hands of the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei.
However, you can clearly deduce from this information that, if you were to leave Taiwan and went to another country, the Canadian embassy in that other country would not have its hands tied by Taiwanese laws - try to get as much information as possible about this difference from the office inTaipei and also find out wether you should wait with any moves until you are 19.
Two other things to consider:
When you leave Taiwan use your Taiwanese passport at the airport in Taiwan and then your Canadian passport where you arrive.
If you decide to leave Taiwan but don’t have enough money to go straight to Canada, then Hongkong might be a good choice, since it is not expensive to get there, many people there speak English, the Canadian Embassy there is familiar with Taiwan since they are in charge for visa applications for Taiwanese citizens, and there is a good number of Canadians living there among whom you should be able to find some suitable contacts (even before you go there!).[/quote]

I see. The opinion to come Into the country of my Taiwanese passport was not mine, if I had knew it would come down to this I would have definitely came in on my Canadian passport.

Well, if you are worried about your future, then you might want to consider taking Chinese language courses in NTU. I’m sure your dad would be fine paying for that. Chinese is not that hard to learn. Learning the language will help you to get jobs in Taiwan. Generally speaking, it’s easier to get a job if you are fluent in more than one language. Who knows? Maybe one day you’ll land a job with a company that has offices worldwide, and then maybe you’ll have chances to transfer to an office in Canada.

Plus while you’re studying Chinese, you’ll meet other foreigners who are learning Chinese as well. Maybe you’ll make some new friends. Maybe you’ll even meet your future girlfriend. You’ll probably get chances to meet people from all over the world.

And if you are studying Chinese in NTU, you can probably also join some school clubs (photography, swimming, dance, etc) and meet more people that way. Maybe you’ll discover that you like photography. You have a lot of opportunities. You just need to get out of your “Canada tunnel vision”. If you think that Canada is the best possible future you can have, then you’re going to miss out on a lot.[/

Honestly with my planning and all I believe that Canada is my best option as of now. In the future? Who can say, I leave that to the tides of fate.

[quote=“kaikai34”][quote=“D.Stark”]Any ideas?

He blocked my xbox wifi as well. So I basically sit at home all day doing nothing. He bought a iMac that he places in the dining room and states it’s a family computer but when I go on and forget to log off Facebook he sets up a password the next day.[/quote]

Uhm? Isn’t the answer obvious? Summer is over, ticket prices are lower. eztravel has tickets for 13k before taxes. http://www.eztravel.com.tw/ezec/freefit/ec_fit_main_query.jsp?city_from=TPE&arrLine=205&arrCountry=CA&city_to=YVR&ticket_type=S&ticket_class_section=2

Hock your shit! If it’s a shiny iphone 4 you’ve got, it should do the job. Sell the Xbox. Get rid of all non-essentials. If being here is as bad as you make it out to be, then do what it takes to get out. Hopefully you’ve got friends or family in Canada to stay with until you get on your feet.[/quote]

Yeah I noticed the prices were lower, and I currently have a friend that may be able to help me buy the ticket, and I can just pay her back later.