Stuck

[quote=“divea”]OP, so dad cut off the internets. No biggie man! I’d be concerned if he cut off food, water and clothing. You still have T.V. and the internets right?? And an ipod?? That’s more things than many adults have. So daddy bribed you and didn’t deliver. I am happy for him. He is not delivering on his stupid promise. I see it as tough love. ANd for you to bribed?? Now any nice kiddo would not need bribing, usually 17 year olds understand reason. But if you followed your dad to Taiwan, for a wifi and what not, it is sad.

What you don’t realize is, he is keeping you off the streets. He is feeding you, clothing, paying for your education if you wants it, and is ofcourse housing you. If you were half as smart as you think you are, you would bide your time quietly, start earning and make a quit exit.

If you were as smart as you think you are, you would make Baba pay for a solid education and get a real good grounding.

If you think you were smarter than most people around you, you would get a degree a zillion girlfriends, a part time job and a fantastic life till you are ready to fly off sponsored and aided by Baba ofcourse.

Don’t hate father, boy, he is doing what he knows best. No one gets a training in fatherhood.[/quote]

I don’t hate him, I just need him to give me more rope. If I hang myself so be it, I’ll learn from my mistakes. But if it goes well I’ll be prepared for anything the future can throw at me. I’ve established many scholarships, grants, bursaries so many that I would have a full ride, really doesn’t matter if he helps with the tuition. Btw my iq is higher than my fathers.

Take a break, everyone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqm8JGnSshE&NR=1

I don’t really have any advice for OP. I just feel for him. I used to tutor for alot of Taiwanese families in Vancouver. It’s quite an ordeal to uproot kids and relocate them into such a completely different cultural world. The reverse has happened to a Taiwanese-Canadian kid, who has really only ever known Canada, and who has only ever set goals in a Canadian context.

Thanks for the sympathy.

I think everyone is sympathetic, but I think you are missing some good advice. Have you really had a sit down and talked about his concerns, I mean really allowed him to say what he thinks rather than in a confrontational way a child might try to persuade their parents they really really will be looking after some pet they want, and will take care of everything themselves and there will be no need for the parents to do anything because they really promise and mean it this time?

I have to ask, did you ever threaten your father with suing him?

By the way, if you want to work, I can see not speaking Chinese would be a problem for most jobs, but how about tutoring people on their English?

[quote=“Mick”]I think everyone is sympathetic, but I think you are missing some good advice. Have you really had a sit down and talked about his concerns, I mean really allowed him to say what he thinks rather than in a confrontational way a child might try to persuade their parents they really really will be looking after some pet they want, and will take care of everything themselves and there will be no need for the parents to do anything because they really promise and mean it this time?

I have to ask, did you ever threaten your father with suing him?

By the way, if you want to work, I can see not speaking Chinese would be a problem for most jobs, but how about tutoring people on their English?[/quote]

Yes I have tried on more than one occasion to persuade him, but he’s very close minded his reasoning is because he won’t be able to fund me, even though I have told him I don’t require his funding. No I never threatened suing him. And without a bachelor degree, getting a teaching job is impossible.

[quote=“D.Stark”]
Yes I have tried on more than one occasion to persuade him, but he’s very close minded his reasoning is because he won’t be able to fund me, even though I have told him I don’t require his funding. No I never threatened suing him. And without a bachelor degree, getting a teaching job is impossible.[/quote]

Well, that’s what I mean. Talk to him without persuading him. In fact make it clear you understand his position, and would like to discuss your future, without being confrontational. I mean you have some valid points, you don’t have a degree or speak Chinese, how will you get work or get through university? Unless you do an English degree here I suppose.

Teaching English jobs I’m not sure about, I always thought there were opportunities for a native speaker, degree or no degree, but not what I do. But I’ll bite my tongue on that topic lest I incur the wrath of the English teachers here.

I think I have finally got my mom to see eye to eye with me but the only question left is “can I leave?”. I can into the country on a Taiwanese passport and my conscription time has not arrived yet. Will the government keep me grounded until the time arrives or will I be able to buy a plane ticket and fly back?

I wouldn’t have thought so unless you’ve got your draft letter. If you’re nervous about the possibility, simply buy a return ticket (which isn’t a lot different to a one-way), and never use the second part.

Well, being nervous is not a sufficient reason to waste money (assuming a return ticket is more expensive than a one-way ticket). :slight_smile:
Since he has a Canadian passport he does not need a return ticket to be allowed on board the plane or to be admitted into Canada. He would, of course, show the airline staff his Canadian passport when buying the ticket and when checking in - he would show both passports in case the names in the passports are different and he uses his Taiwanese name for the ticket.
(He would, of course, show his Taiwanese passport to the immigration control officer when he leaves Taiwan.)
Buying a return ticket is only useful if it turns out to be cheaper than a one-way ticket (that can happen in certain situations) or if he intends to return to Taiwan in the near future (within the time span for which the ticket can be kept open).

Well, being nervous is not a sufficient reason to waste money (assuming a return ticket is more expensive than a one-way ticket). :slight_smile:
Since he has a Canadian passport he does not need a return ticket to be allowed on board the plane or to be admitted into Canada. He would, of course, show the airline staff his Canadian passport when buying the ticket and when checking in - he would show both passports in case the names in the passports are different and he uses his Taiwanese name for the ticket.
(He would, of course, show his Taiwanese passport to the immigration control officer when he leaves Taiwan.)
Buying a return ticket is only useful if it turns out to be cheaper than a one-way ticket (that can happen in certain situations) or if he intends to return to Taiwan in the near future (within the time span for which the ticket can be kept open).[/quote]

Return tickets almost double the price in my situation using united airlines. One way is 891 Canadian, return is 1710 Canadian. Thanks for the assurance I’ll book a ticket ASAP.p

Im not so sure he can just use his Canadian passport. If there is no visa or stamp of entry, the immigration must assume he entered under a Taiwanese passport.

I dont know much about the laws, but it is covered to some extent here. Conscription in the Republic of China

From what I see OP is in the 18~22 age group for selective compulsory military service. Which means…

The article does say " Deferments are available for students of higher education institutions " so perhaps if he has an acceptance letter from a university in Canada, he might be able to get a deferment. :idunno:

edit/ you may find this site useful, top right 5th option moving left is the English option for the site. National Conscription Agency Ministry of the Interior

One question from FAQ.

[quote]Can naturalized individuals with foreign passports be restricted by the Conscription Law of the ROC?
According to Section 1 Article 5 of the “Conscription Regulations for Naturalized Aliens and Returning Overseas Chinese,” a male overseas Chinese entering the country using a foreign passport and who is of conscription age, is covered by the relevant regulations governing returning overseas Chinese. Also, according to Article 14 of the “Regulations for Exit of Draftees,” individuals of conscription age who have a registered household here in Taiwan and possessing dual citizenship, should use their ROC passports in entering and exiting the country. Those who enter using their foreign passports are still considered as being eligible for conscription and will be restricted from exiting the country (this restriction shall be lifted when the individual has rendered the mandatory military service).[/quote]

[quote=“Mick”]Im not so sure he can just use his Canadian passport. If there is no visa or stamp of entry, the immigration must assume he entered under a Taiwanese passport.

I don’t know much about the laws, but it is covered to some extent here. Conscription in the Republic of China

From what I see OP is in the 18~22 age group for selective compulsory military service. Which means…

The article does say " Deferments are available for students of higher education institutions " so perhaps if he has an acceptance letter from a university in Canada, he might be able to get a deferment. :idunno:[/quote]

Shit you just ruined my day does this mean I can’t leave the country?
What about the right if return? I’m pretty sure that trumps the conscription
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return

[quote=“Mick”]Im not so sure he can just use his Canadian passport. If there is no visa or stamp of entry, the immigration must assume he entered under a Taiwanese passport.

I don’t know much about the laws, but it is covered to some extent here. Conscription in the Republic of China

The article does say " Deferments are available for students of higher education institutions " so perhaps if he has an acceptance letter from a university in Canada, he might be able to get a deferment. :idunno:

edit/ you may find this site useful, top right 5th option moving left is the English option for the site. National Conscription Agency Ministry of the Interior

One question from FAQ.

[quote]Can naturalized individuals with foreign passports be restricted by the Conscription Law of the ROC?
According to Section 1 Article 5 of the “Conscription Regulations for Naturalized Aliens and Returning Overseas Chinese,” a male overseas Chinese entering the country using a foreign passport and who is of conscription age, is covered by the relevant regulations governing returning overseas Chinese. Also, according to Article 14 of the “Regulations for Exit of Draftees,” individuals of conscription age who have a registered household here in Taiwan and possessing dual citizenship, should use their ROC passports in entering and exiting the country. Those who enter using their foreign passports are still considered as being eligible for conscription and will be restricted from exiting the country (this restriction shall be lifted when the individual has rendered the mandatory military service).[/quote][/quote]

So wait does that mean I can leave on my roc passport?

[quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“Mick”] [quote]Can naturalized individuals with foreign passports be restricted by the Conscription Law of the ROC?
According to Section 1 Article 5 of the “Conscription Regulations for Naturalized Aliens and Returning Overseas Chinese,” a male overseas Chinese entering the country using a foreign passport and who is of conscription age, is covered by the relevant regulations governing returning overseas Chinese. Also, according to Article 14 of the “Regulations for Exit of Draftees,” individuals of conscription age who have a registered household here in Taiwan and possessing dual citizenship, should use their ROC passports in entering and exiting the country. Those who enter using their foreign passports are still considered as being eligible for conscription and will be restricted from exiting the country (this restriction shall be lifted when the individual has rendered the mandatory military service).[/quote][/quote]

So wait does that mean I can leave on my roc passport?[/quote]

No it means that’s the passport you should show when entering/leaving Taiwan. It’s not saying you have permission to leave the country, however.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“Mick”] [quote]Can naturalized individuals with foreign passports be restricted by the Conscription Law of the ROC?

No it means that’s the passport you should show when entering/leaving Taiwan. It’s not saying you have permission to leave the country, however.[/quote]

If the conscription date hasn’t arrived they shouldn’t be able to prevent me from leaving.

[quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“Mick”] [quote]Can naturalized individuals with foreign passports be restricted by the Conscription Law of the ROC?

No it means that’s the passport you should show when entering/leaving Taiwan. It’s not saying you have permission to leave the country, however.[/quote]

If the conscription date hasn’t arrived they shouldn’t be able to prevent me from leaving.[/quote]

I think you still need to go to the NIA or household registration office to get approval though.

[quote=“D.Stark”]

If the conscription date hasn’t arrived they shouldn’t be able to prevent me from leaving.[/quote]

I think it depends when you turned 18.

i.e seems to me, if you turned 18 from Sept to Dec last year, you are subject to these regulations, if you turned 18 this year the rules may not come into effect until January 1st 2012 for you.

National Conscription Agency Ministry of the Interior and click the English option, top right 5th option to the left. Then have a look at laws, in particular “Regulations for Exit of Draftees”. Simply too much information to cut and paste here.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“D.Stark”]

I think it depends when you turned 18.

i.e seems to me, if you turned 18 from Sept to Dec last year, you are subject to these regulations, if you turned 18 this year the rules may not come into effect until January 1st 2012 for you.

National Conscription Agency Ministry of the Interior and click the English option, top right 5th option to the left. Then have a look at laws, in particular “Regulations for Exit of Draftees”. Simply too much information to cut and paste here.[/quote]

I turned 18 Sept 25th -_- but I also found something strange on my roc passport. Date of issue is 11 aug 2010 but the date of expiry is 11 aug 2011 but I’m still here,what does that mean? And I’ve also been in the country for more than a year because about half way into the year my military conscription time was reset. I was in a Chinese class for about half the year but we found out the class I was taking didn’t actually stop the conscription time. We didn’t know so they reset the timer basically.

[quote=“D.Stark”]
I turned 18 Sept 25th -_- but I also found something strange on my roc passport. Date of issue is 11 aug 2010 but the date of expiry is 11 aug 2011 but I’m still here,what does that mean? [/quote]

It means your ROC passport has expired and you would need a new one to travel. But since you fall into the category of people to do conscription, it wont be straightforward to get one.

From the wiki article on ROC conscription.

[quote]The military draft process occurs in four steps:
Military Registration Investigation: Interview conducted by the conscription sections of local government offices to determine the educational background of the draftee as well as any special skills (e.g. proficiency in a foreign language). Generally occurs upon a male ROC national’s 19th birthday or periodically upon his establishment (or change) of residence in ROC administered territories while of draft age but not yet drafted. Education and other deferments may be granted at this point if the draftee is eligible.[/quote]

It seems you are saying the school you currently are in, is not eligible for deferment of conscription. Which would mean the process begins on your 19th birthday which is in ohhhh, two or three weeks time. I bet your dad forgot to mention the conscription part of moving to Taiwan while he was making empty promises for new laptops and a PS3.