Stuck

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“D.Stark”]
I turned 18 Sept 25th -_- but I also found something strange on my roc passport. Date of issue is 11 aug 2010 but the date of expiry is 11 aug 2011 but I’m still here,what does that mean? [/quote]

It means your ROC passport has expired and you would need a new one to travel. But since you fall into the category of people to do conscription, it wont be straightforward to get one.

From the wiki article on ROC conscription.

[quote]The military draft process occurs in four steps:
Military Registration Investigation: Interview conducted by the conscription sections of local government offices to determine the educational background of the draftee as well as any special skills (e.g. proficiency in a foreign language). Generally occurs upon a male ROC national’s 19th birthday or periodically upon his establishment (or change) of residence in ROC administered territories while of draft age but not yet drafted. Education and other deferments may be granted at this point if the draftee is eligible.[/quote]

It seems you are saying the school you currently are in, is not eligible for deferment of conscription. Which would mean the process begins on your 19th birthday which is in ohhhh, two or three weeks time. I bet your dad forgot to mention the conscription part of moving to Taiwan while he was making empty promises for new laptops and a PS3.[/quote]

Nail on the head with the empty promises. Wonder if I can leave…

[quote=“D.Stark”]
Nail on the head with the empty promises. Wonder if I can leave…[/quote]

I think not. You currently have travel restrictions on you, ROC passport expired, use of the Canadian one would open up questions as to where your entry visa was and lead down the inevitable path that you are a ROC citizen with travel restrictions.

I had a friend caught out by this a while back, also dual nationality, late 30’s living a very comfortable life, fine food, good house, leaving the country every 3 months to avoid becoming eligible for conscription but messed up the timing. The horror when he realized he would have to give up his cushy lifestyle and hang out with kids almost half his age. He went through every legal document trying to figure a way out, but in the end did the conscription anyway.

I was going to say look on the bright side, but nothing comes to mind right away, Im sure there is one.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“D.Stark”]

I think not. You currently have travel restrictions on you, ROC passport expired, use of the Canadian one would open up questions as to where your entry visa was and lead down the inevitable path that you are a ROC citizen with travel restrictions.

I had a friend caught out by this a while back, also dual nationality, late 30’s living a very comfortable life, fine food, good house, leaving the country every 3 months to avoid becoming eligible for conscription but messed up the timing. The horror when he realized he would have to give up his cushy lifestyle and hang out with kids almost half his age. He went through every legal document trying to figure a way out, but in the end did the conscription anyway.

I was going to say look on the bright side, but nothing comes to mind right away, Im sure there is one.[/quote]

Well I didn’t have a choice at the time whether to use roc passport or Canadian passport because I was considered a minor at entry. My father screwed me pretty hard if I can’t leave.

[quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“Mick”][quote=“D.Stark”]

I was going to say look on the bright side, but nothing comes to mind right away, Im sure there is one.[/quote]

Well I didn’t have a choice at the time whether to use roc passport or Canadian passport because I was considered a minor at entry. My father screwed me pretty hard if I can’t leave.[/quote]

if you get conscripted, try to get into the coast guard.

Renew your ROC passport, book a return flight to HK or the Philippines. You shouldn’t have any problem getting out if it looks like you’re just going on a short vacation. Then get a one-way to Canada from HK or the Philippines which you can do on your Canadian passport.

This is a good idea if I can’t get out for sure, my mom is going to make some calls to immigration and whatnot, if I can’t leave to Canada I will do as you suggest.

Edit : I wonder if they would let me leave if I said I was to attend a funeral?

Not so easy I dont think, from regulations for exit of draftees, which apply to OP as he turned 18 before 1st of January this year.

In other words to get a passport issued the OP must meet certain criteria as stated in articles 4 and 5. Short vacations to HK or the Philippines Im not sure will be reason enough. Heres clause 4.

[quote]Article 4 The application for exit filed by a draftee shall be approved: Provide, however, that:

1. The period approved for the exit to a draftee shall not be longer than one (1) year if the draftee is a student who has applied for the exit on the ground of taking research project, foreign studies, performance, visit, competition event, training or field practice as assigned or recommended.
  2. The period approved for the exit to a draftee shall not be longer than three (3) months if the draftee though not a student has applied for the exit on the ground of representing the nation to give performance or to participate in a competition as assigned or recommended.
  3. The period approved for the exit to a draftee shall not be longer than two (2) months if the draftee who has applied for the exit on the ground other than those described in the preceding Clause 1 and 2. Those exit conditions described in the preceding three clauses 1, 2 and 3 shall be also applicable to any draftee who has applied for the exit to enter into the Mainland China area.[/quote]

[quote=“D.Stark”]

Edit : I wonder if they would let me leave if I said I was to attend a funeral?[/quote]

[quote]Article 9 Any draftee found with any of the following events is restricted from
departing from Taiwan:

1. He is already listed in a specific phase of conscription;
  2. He has been notified to take the conscription examination;
  3. He, as a returning Overseas Chinese or student is obligated to
    perform military service as provided in Conscription Regulations for
    Returning Overseas Chinese; or
  4. He is restricted from departure according to Conscription Law and any
    other applicable laws and regulations.
    [color=#FF0000]Any draftee referred in Clauses 1 through 3 of the preceding paragraph
    desired to depart from Taiwan for the occasion that his direct blood, or
    spouse overseas is dying or deceased may file the application for exit
    submitted together with notarized support documents with the local
    government for approval, and the term of exit when approved shall not
    be longer than thirty (30) days.[/color]

The restriction shall be lifted for any draftee referred in Clause 2 of
    Paragraph 1 who has completed the conscription examination.
    For the event described in Clause 4 of Paragraph 1, the judicial, military
    institute or the regulating authorities at the central level shall serve an
    official act to the Entrance and Exit Administration for handling.[/quote]

Interesting, I didn’t know the restrictions were so strong.

I guess you could always go to the draft and then simply refuse to obey all orders. Don’t do anything, don’t speak, break all the rules and generally make life as difficult as possible so that they simply decide to kick you out. :smiley:

Not so easy I don’t think, from regulations for exit of draftees, which apply to OP as he turned 18 before 1st of January this year.

In other words to get a passport issued the OP must meet certain criteria as stated in articles 4 and 5. Short vacations to HK or the Philippines Im not sure will be reason enough. Heres clause 4.

[quote]Article 4 The application for exit filed by a draftee shall be approved: Provide, however, that:

1. The period approved for the exit to a draftee shall not be longer than one (1) year if the draftee is a student who has applied for the exit on the ground of taking research project, foreign studies, performance, visit, competition event, training or field practice as assigned or recommended.
  2. The period approved for the exit to a draftee shall not be longer than three (3) months if the draftee though not a student has applied for the exit on the ground of representing the nation to give performance or to participate in a competition as assigned or recommended.
  3. The period approved for the exit to a draftee shall not be longer than two (2) months if the draftee who has applied for the exit on the ground other than those described in the preceding Clause 1 and 2. Those exit conditions described in the preceding three clauses 1, 2 and 3 shall be also applicable to any draftee who has applied for the exit to enter into the Mainland China area.[/quote][/quote]

Is it that diffilcult to get my passport renewed? I can apply for a renewal under the fact that I’m pursuing education abroad.

[quote=“cfimages”]Interesting, I didn’t know the restrictions were so strong.

I guess you could always go to the draft and then simply refuse to obey all orders. Don’t do anything, don’t speak, break all the rules and generally make life as difficult as possible so that they simply decide to kick you out. :smiley:[/quote]

Lol.

What are the chances he knew full well you would get conscripted and be prevented from leaving? :whistle:

I’ve known a few families here try to convince their sons to come back from abroad for conscription. I’m guessing your father wants you to do conscription?

What are the chances he knew full well you would get conscripted and be prevented from leaving? :whistle:

I’ve known a few families here try to convince their sons to come back from abroad for conscription. I’m guessing your father wants you to do conscription?[/quote]

He wanted me to attend a university, but now he wants me to the conscription.
ROC nationals with Overseas Chinese status are exempt from service. ----- ??? I read on the military service wiki page is this true? Because I do have overseas Chinese status.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_service
Scroll down to Taiwan(ROC)

[quote=“cfimages”]Interesting, I didn’t know the restrictions were so strong.

I guess you could always go to the draft and then simply refuse to obey all orders. Don’t do anything, don’t speak, break all the rules and generally make life as difficult as possible so that they simply decide to kick you out. :smiley:[/quote]
Heh! Stoppit! That’s not fair.
Doing what cfimages suggests will simply change your 8 months of inconvenience into 8 months of torture. You’ll simply get hazed to hell and back. It really does sound like your dad has decided that a spell in the military will be good for you.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“cfimages”]Interesting, I didn’t know the restrictions were so strong.

Doing what cfimages suggests will simply change your 8 months of inconvenience into 8 months of torture. You’ll simply get hazed to hell and back. It really does sound like your dad has decided that a spell in the military will be good for you.[/quote]

He doesn’t decide what I do with my life.

[quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“cfimages”]Interesting, I didn’t know the restrictions were so strong.

Doing what cfimages suggests will simply change your 8 months of inconvenience into 8 months of torture. You’ll simply get hazed to hell and back. It really does sound like your dad has decided that a spell in the military will be good for you.[/quote]

He doesn’t decide what I do with my life.[/quote]
Well. Maybe. We only have your posts here to judge by, though. And they tell us that he is INDEED deciding EXACTLY what you will do with your life. The only one who can’t see that very plainly is YOU! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“cfimages”]Interesting, I didn’t know the restrictions were so strong.

Well. Maybe. We only have your posts here to judge by, though. And they tell us that he is INDEED deciding EXACTLY what you will do with your life. The only one who can’t see that very plainly is YOU! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

If he decided what I did with my life I would be attending NTU right now or learning more Chinese. For the last like 10 years he’s visited 2 times a year, I’m not gonna let someone I barely know run my life.

[quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“cfimages”]Interesting, I didn’t know the restrictions were so strong.

Well. Maybe. We only have your posts here to judge by, though. And they tell us that he is INDEED deciding EXACTLY what you will do with your life. The only one who can’t see that very plainly is YOU! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

If he decided what I did with my life I would be attending NTU right now or learning more Chinese. For the last like 10 years he’s visited 2 times a year, I’m not gonna let someone I barely know run my life.[/quote]
Let us know how things pan out. From where I’m standing, though, it appears that he has you firmly by the short hairs.

[quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“D.Stark”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“cfimages”]Interesting, I didn’t know the restrictions were so strong.

If he decided what I did with my life I would be attending NTU right now or learning more Chinese. For the last like 10 years he’s visited 2 times a year, I’m not gonna let someone I barely know run my life.[/quote]

Sounds like a lot of Taiwanese fathers I met when I was a tutor in Canada. Their kids basically didn’t know them. Of course, these parents also didn’t understand the cultural implications of raising kids in foreign countries. They expected them to be able to seamlessly integrate into a society they’ve never lived in, behave according to the rules of a culture they didn’t grow up knowing.

Try as I might, I simply cannot find anything constructive to say. :s

You seem fucked twice from Sunday. Dad probably thinks he’s helping. You sure aren’t helping yourself afaik. I dunno. I hope you don’t jump off a building or something. Sooner or later you’ll have to man up and do something. If you must decide from choices that aren’t yours, you might as well make the decision YOURS. Own it.

ps…what is so bad about studying Chinese??