Student on the road to trouble

i teach a class of 10 students who are all in the 4th and 5th grade. they study english everyday, 2 hours each time for a totalof 10 hours a week. furthermore, they all went to the same fulltime english kindergarden and their level in incredible. they are a fanstatic bunch who enjoy english and can converse very naturally. i love 'em…

last year a new student joined the class. his level is equally as high becuase he spent a year in new zealand. he’s a great kid but is on the road to trouble. his mom passed away 2 years ago and his father wants nothing to do with him. he lives with his aunt who spoils him rotten. he’s not a bad kid. last week our writing assignment was to write instructions on how to make something. this kid came up with a step-by-step guide on how to make a fake ID card (身份證) incase, and i quote, “you are not 18 yet but need the appropriate ID to buy alcohol.”

clever, yet worrisome…

i told his aunt and she said just to smack him when i feel appropriate. she even brought in one of those long hand smackers for me. i told her i would, under no circumstances smack the kid.

he is bright but lost… i think he’s still in a lot of pain about his family situation and it’s manifesting itself in the form of sly rebellion…

any suggestions on how i can help keep this kid on the right track?

Well, you are on the right track. Recognition of the problem is half the battle. Good on ya mate. :notworthy:

I could only suggest what I might do. Especially as communication is not a barrier, I would take a more than active interest in the dude, and encourage and challenge him. Talk to him. Troubled kids are troubled because they have no one to talk their troubles over with. Listen to him.

Or smack him. :smiling_imp:

[quote] he’s not a bad kid. last week our writing assignment was to write instructions on how to make something. this kid came up with a step-by-step guide on how to make a fake ID card (身份證) incase, and i quote, “you are not 18 yet but need the appropriate ID to buy alcohol.”

clever, yet worrisome…[/quote]

I think this shows a certain level of maturity in this student. And the incorrect response would be to say “WRONG!” and bash him on the hand. The kid is looking for attention. So give it to him. Ask him now to write an essay on what happens to underage kids who buy alcohol with a fake ID.

the ask him to look into juvenile jails and how much fun they are.

The kid is testing the waters IMHO, so it might be good to give him a peek at the possible consequences. I always tell my older kids who are the same way that “In this world, it is easy to be stupid, and it’s harder to do the right things.” It’s rough hearing this, but they do get the idea. Don’t think and it’s easier to do something dumb.

So, don’t tell her next time. I have one 14 year old boy who, so his mom and dad tell me, respects no one but me. I take this as a compliment, as I do not try to be cool for him in class. I make him think, and when’s he is wrong I say so. Try it with this one.

[quote]he is bright but lost… I think he’s still in a lot of pain about his family situation and it’s manifesting itself in the form of sly rebellion…

any suggestions on how I can help keep this kid on the right track?[/quote]

He seems to like writing. Give him/her (could be a girl :blush: ) some extra thinking/writing to do.

This is a great Teacher’s Network question. :slight_smile:

good luck and keep us informed.

peace

Does your area have an active Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts type group?
This little dude definitely is at a pivotal point in his life. A positive role model or mentor type person might make all the difference in the world in his life.

**Disclaimer - I am not a teacher. Just a person who has seen too many misguided adults who lacked positive direction at crucial times in their life. **

[quote=“The Gumper”]Well, you are on the right track. Recognition of the problem is half the battle. Good on ya mate. :notworthy:

more than active interest in the dude, and encourage and challenge him. Talk to him. Troubled kids are troubled because they have no one to talk their troubles over with. Listen to him.

[/quote]

Excellent response. :bravo:

In fact they are all good responses. :bravo:

Peer pressure and association are really important factors too.

Caves (and probably other book stores) have a series of books that deal with "life’ these readers can be used in the guise of learning English (which is of course true), but also used to teach the kids some fundamentals of life.

After watching 20 minutes of shrek with my class (to the point where Shrek is rather rude to donkey and makes him sleep outside.) I then started a discussion about what makes a good friend and what makes a bad friend? Did they think donkey was a good friend? Shrek?

Then I asked them if they wanted good friends or bad friends. Of course they all said good friends. So I asked them if they wanted good friends, what kind of friend did they need to be. (this is kind of highlights of the discussion - I hope it did more than teach them Englsih, but also helped teach them a little about life too.)

Activities like this can really help kids. (Or am I just being idealistic?)

My mum split when I was 5. The teachers I remember most are the ones who cared.

Empower the child. Show the kid you believe in him by giving him some special responsibilities

Aww, come on, add a poll!

I want to vote for smacking him.

[quote=“puiwaihin”]Aww, come on, add a poll!

I want to vote for smacking him.[/quote]

:flog: