Student Protests; and supplementary banter, Part I

[quote=“hansioux”]Education: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, closed to Taiwanese in China.
Medical: Taiwan can setup 20 hospitals in China, but with the lack of medical professionals here in Taiwan to begin with, there will be even worse drain on medical professionals. But Chinese can open hospitals without number restrictions and only requires Taiwanese investments without specifying a minimum required.
[/quote]

Well, my wife’s cousin studied medicine in Beijing. As it goes, He has an internationally recognized degree in medicine, but not in Taiwan. So, he can’t act as a doctor in Taiwan just because his degree was aquired in Beijing. The reverse works, though: if he had studied in Taiwan, he could act as a doctor in China without any problems (providing he passed a exam every doctor in China has to pass to get the official license, which now he’s studying for).

[quote=“Icon”]Live cam, anyone: ustream.tv/channel/longson3000[/quote]I only see a black screen.

dp.

Seems you gotta be signed in to FB to see. Tech people, help?

EDIT:

Nope, it seems off now. Not much too see, some students sleeping, some moving around. But it was something.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]
Well, my wife’s cousin studied medicine in Beijing. As it goes, He has an internationally recognized degree in medicine, but not in Taiwan. So, he can’t act as a doctor in Taiwan just because his degree was aquired in Beijing. The reverse works, though: if he had studied in Taiwan, he could act as a doctor in China without any problems (providing he passed a exam every doctor in China has to pass to get the official license, which now he’s studying for).[/quote]

I have heard Chinese medicine doctors without a license tell me they bought one in China and are waiting for the service sector trade agreements so they can practice legally (not as if they aren’t practicing already, they just hire another doctor with a license to sit in the room with them).

China requires him to take an exam, Taiwan requires the him to go through the program again. The US doesn’t allow doctors from Taiwan to just practice in the US either. Want to practice, go back to school for a couple of years. Don’t like it, don’t get medical degrees in China.

Seems you gotta be signed in to FB to see. Tech people, help?[/quote]

it seems like the link has been going on an off the whole day… maybe just need to wait.

Seems you gotta be signed in to FB to see. Tech people, help?[/quote]

it seems like the link has been going on an off the whole day… maybe just need to wait.[/quote]

Yep, working now, with sound, too!

WJP just won the first instance trial in his bid to keep his KMT membership. Must not be a fun day for Ma.

I wonder if they got the idea from watching US politics in recent years?

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“cfimages”]You don’t use guns to stop unarmed protesters.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk[/quote]

What, you mean it wouldn’t work?
I’m pretty sure it would.[/quote]

It’s worked plenty of times before. Cameras or no cameras.

Tienanmen, anyone?

[quote=“hansioux”]To elaborate on how details of the service trade pact is simply absurd and that’s why Ma administration doesn’t wish to go through a line by line process in the legislature even though they have the majority.

Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences winner Joseph Stiglitz said about Trade Agreements:
[ul]First, any trade agreement has to be symmetrical
Second, no trade agreement should put commercial interests ahead of boarder national insterests
Finally, there must be a commitment to transparency
[/ul]
Editorial by Stiglitz

This trade deal is anything but symmetrical. There are no restrictions to Chinese capitals setting up shop in Taiwan on all but a few sectors. While severe restrictions apply to Taiwanese companies on most sectors.

Education: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, closed to Taiwanese in China.
Electronic Markets: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, Taiwanese only allowed in Fujian, oh, and no cross boarder transactions, and must have 55% Chinese investments.
Cross boarder transactions: opened to Chinese with no restrictions in Taiwan, no promises made by China for Taiwanese in China.
Publishing, Any sector setting up shop: opened to Chinese in any form possible in Taiwan, Taiwanese investment can’t exceed over 65%, lowest registered capital has to be the same as Chinese companies.
Reseller: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, closed to Taiwanese in China.
Banking: opened to Chinese with little restrictions, Taiwanese banks can only open in Fujian and must do it with Chinese investments
Insurance: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, Taiwanese companies that meet the requirement will be allowed to enter China, “requirement standard” is up to China.
Investment Banks: Chinese banks can buy Taiwanese investment products that meet the requirement. Taiwanese banks that meet the requirement can set up special “Rural Savings Branches” in China, “requirement standard” is up to China.
Medical: Taiwan can setup 20 hospitals in China, but with the lack of medical professionals here in Taiwan to begin with, there will be even worse drain on medical professionals. But Chinese can open hospitals without number restrictions and only requires Taiwanese investments without specifying a minimum required.
Health: Taiwanese Retirement homes only allowed in Fujian and Guadong. Hospitals and others only allowed in appointed cities.
Entertainment and media: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, restricted to one company for import into China, and requires to pass Chinese censorship
Games: Taiwanese games are required to go through censorship lasting at least 2 months
Ocean Shipping: Taiwanese only allowed in Fujian
Accounting: Taiwanese reuqired to obtain Chinese accounting license
Construction: Taiwanese only allowed to obtain license and work in Fujian
Market Survey: Taiwanese companies required to have Chinese investments.
Telecomm: Taiwanese companies required to have at least 50% Chinese investments.

Talk about fair and symmetrical…[/quote]

there you go! anyone who thinks this trade is beneficial needs to have their head examined.

i’m sort of happy to see taiwanese actually taking some action, but disappointed that there are so few out protesting.

The pigs have been kicked out of the yard for now :wink:.

[quote=“hansioux”]To elaborate on how details of the service trade pact is simply absurd and that’s why Ma administration doesn’t wish to go through a line by line process in the legislature even though they have the majority.

Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences winner Joseph Stiglitz said about Trade Agreements:
[ul]First, any trade agreement has to be symmetrical
Second, no trade agreement should put commercial interests ahead of boarder national insterests
Finally, there must be a commitment to transparency
[/ul]
Editorial by Stiglitz

This trade deal is anything but symmetrical. There are no restrictions to Chinese capitals setting up shop in Taiwan on all but a few sectors. While severe restrictions apply to Taiwanese companies on most sectors.

Education: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, closed to Taiwanese in China.
Electronic Markets: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, Taiwanese only allowed in Fujian, oh, and no cross boarder transactions, and must have 55% Chinese investments.
Cross boarder transactions: opened to Chinese with no restrictions in Taiwan, no promises made by China for Taiwanese in China.
Publishing, Any sector setting up shop: opened to Chinese in any form possible in Taiwan, Taiwanese investment can’t exceed over 65%, lowest registered capital has to be the same as Chinese companies.
Reseller: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, closed to Taiwanese in China.
Banking: opened to Chinese with little restrictions, Taiwanese banks can only open in Fujian and must do it with Chinese investments
Insurance: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, Taiwanese companies that meet the requirement will be allowed to enter China, “requirement standard” is up to China.
Investment Banks: Chinese banks can buy Taiwanese investment products that meet the requirement. Taiwanese banks that meet the requirement can set up special “Rural Savings Branches” in China, “requirement standard” is up to China.
Health: Taiwanese Retirement homes only allowed in Fujian and Guadong. Hospitals and others only allowed in appointed cities.
Entertainment and media: opened to Chinese in Taiwan, restricted to one company for import into China, and requires to pass Chinese censorship
Games: Taiwanese games are required to go through censorship lasting at least 2 months
Ocean Shipping: Taiwanese only allowed in Fujian
Accounting: Taiwanese reuqired to obtain Chinese accounting license
Construction: Taiwanese only allowed to obtain license and work in Fujian
Market Survey: Taiwanese companies required to have Chinese investments.
Telecomm: Taiwanese companies required to have at least 50% Chinese investments.

Talk about fair and symmetrical…[/quote]

Wait a minute…Stiglitz??

Like…HUGO Stiglitz!!!

:noway:

I agree: only a nutter or the owner of a vast Taiwanese business conglomerate would see anything truly beneficial for Taiwan in this “pact”. The KMT has had its head firmly wedged between China’s ample buttocks for some time now. I wish the students and everyone else there in Taipei the best of luck in dislodging it.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“rowland”]This raises the question: why does the opposition party lack the numbers?

Is it time for people to start pontificating about lawful behavior and respect for elected governments and all that?[/quote]

because local elections are more susceptible to vote-buying, agricultural association/fishing association bullying and other types of tactics, and even when both sides are willing to get dirty in that game, KMT will always have the legislative majority due to the enormous illegal assets they have.[/quote]

Illegal assets? You mean like the United States of America, the Commonwealth of Canada and the United States of Mexico?

[quote=“rowland”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“cfimages”]You don’t use guns to stop unarmed protesters.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk[/quote]

What, you mean it wouldn’t work?
I’m pretty sure it would.[/quote]

It’s worked plenty of times before. Cameras or no cameras.

Tienanmen, anyone?[/quote]

I wouldn’t call that a success…

I just left there, and the crowds were growing quite a bit, seeping into the surrounding streets. Definitely a lot more than this afternoon.

I remember when the news first broke about this trade agreement (last year?) they said that with a small investment, people could move from Mainland China and receive an ARC for themselves and some family members.
Is that still true?

That would make people happy, methinks. Did you mean skyrocketing? :slight_smile:[/quote]

I don’t get what’s wrong with Icon’s use of spiraling:

[quote]spiral

VERB (spirals, spiralling, spiralled; US spirals, spiraling, spiraled)

2 [NO OBJECT] Show a continuous and dramatic increase:
‘inflation continued to spiral’

2.1 (spiral down/downward) Decrease or deteriorate continuously:
‘he expects the figures to spiral down further’

There might be disagreement as to whether the increase in the cost of living is great enough and persistent enough to warrant the term spiraling (I don’t care to debate about that), but it seems that spiraling can refer to both increases and decreases.

What about the silent majority that voted KMT? Why should the democratically elected legislature give in to the demands of some activists who are themselves not democratically legitimized whatsoever? Who elected these bums? Why should they have more weight in the matter than the average Taiwanese who voted rather than trespass ??