Student work permits

I keep seeing people say that as a student you can work up to 14 or 16 hours a week, and have more or less open work rights.

The only reference to this I can find anywhere on a government website was at the new one, which all sounds a lot more restrictive than what people are talking about.

[quote]VIII. Working in Taiwan:

Foreign students who have studied in school for two semesters or a language course for one year, with an excellent scholastic record, can work in Taiwan when one of the following circumstances applies:
A. Events of a serious nature have affected their financial ability to support themselves or continue their education, and the student can provide evidence of such circumstances.
B. An academic research institution at the student’s school requires a foreign student to provide assistance in its work.
C. The student needs to take part in an off-campus internship related to his or her field of study.
For foreign students with proficiency in a special language, the Ministry of Education may, on a case-by-case basis, give its approval for such students, following their enrollment, to take employment as instructors at language institutes affiliated with universities, colleges, or junior colleges, or at language institutes affiliated with foreign cultural and educational organizations in Taiwan.
Application for a work permit
Foreign students who want to work in Taiwan must hold a valid work permit.
With the exception of summer and winter vacations, students with work permit may work a maximum of 16 hours per week while the work permit is valid. The maximum duration of a work permit for foreign students, overseas Chinese students, and ethnic Chinese students is 6 months. A new work permit shall be applied after expiration. A work permit is good until the 30th of March of following semester if students apply in fall semester, or it is good until the 30th of September of the year if students apply in spring semester.[/quote]

The info you found was/is completely accurate. It is very difficult to receive a work permit when your ARC is issued for the purpose of study. I’ve heard a lot of tall tales as well regarding student ARCs and working. The students always seem quite shocked when they learn the truth. “But… but… my sister’s friend’s mother’s hairdresser said I could work anywhere!!!”. :loco: