Studying for a BA in Chinese

I realise that 500 characters are still pretty dismal but I’ve only been studying for a few months. Sad thing is I’ve been here for two years and only recently started studying because I originally thought I’d only be here for a year or so. Now I’ve fallen in love with the country and don’t want to leave. Bummer, I wonder where I could have been if I’d started two years ago…lol.

Anyway, I’m in no real hurry and have decided to devote this year to Mandarin. After that I’ll make a decision as to what further academic course I’ll take. I was really just looking to see what those more experienced in these matters had to say.

Hmmm… this should probably be a different topic, in a different section, but LittleBuddha, would you be willing to tell us more about the possibilities to become employed as a professor (of something other than English) at a Taiwanese university? You seem knowledgeable here…

I really don’t know much about that, I only have one friend who is doing so … he teaches Chinese history (mainly women in Chinese history). He has his Ph.D. from Harvard, speaks fluent Chinese, and is well-published. So, you’d probably need a degree from a good school and be an expert in an area that universities in Taiwan are looking for. I imagine it’s not an easy thing to do (and why would you want to anyway?!)