Studying Mandarin in Taizhong (Taichung)

Anyone know of a school that offers part-time Mandarin classes in Taichung? I don’t need a visa, just want to learn. Thanks in advance…

I hear Providence University does, but I think it’s females only. I don’t know for sure, however… might be worth an inquiry, though.

Can someone give me any advice/information on Chinese language schools in Taichung City? I know of the following:

FONG CHIA Univ.
Providence Univ.
DONG HAI Univ.
TLI (Taipei Language Institute)

I am considering the following factors:

1. location
  2. cost
  3. focus (speaking vs. reading/writing)

I also came across something on the Internet, but it looks strange. studyabroadinternational.com … aiwan.html

I sent an e-mail to the contact at the above web site, and the response was that the location of the school cannot be revealed until I send an application fee. Sounds goofy.

I spent a year at Tunghai (Dong hai). The campus is really nice, though it’s way on the edge of Taichung. Some teachers were really cool, and some lame. But the environment overall was much better than TLI. I’d say the emphasis was on speaking and reading. Writing was mostly characters and isolated sentences, no compositions. But I guess that probably depends on the teacher and the class you get into. That was about two years ago. Looking back on it, it really wasn’t spectacular, but I’m not sure you’ll find anything better, unless you find yourself a good private tutor.

I know about Feng Chia. Don’t go there. The director is a two-faced Belgian. They try to offer too many classes and don’t focus on the basics of Chinese. Too much of a focus on writing and in many classes, you don’t have much of a chance to speak. In many classes, you don’t even come close to finishing the books and due to time constaints, teachers can’t completely cover the material.

Dong Hai was great 5 years ago…all very nice teachers, the same group that I had is still mostly there from what I hear

I stayed in the boys dorms and thought that was an extra plus. Now I can say I’ve had the same experience as Taiwanese students after sharing the same room with 3 Taiwanese guys (which is few by Taiwanese standards, the freshman have 8 to a room)…met some great friends that way

I’m currently on the CLI-project here in Taipei…
It keeps me in the country for six months & costs a small amount every third month (that I can live with).
Since I’m not a native English speaker this is one of the few ways I can stay here. (I’m NOT getting married for an ARC, heeh…)
But now I’m leaving Taipei for Taichung (Taizhong) and wonder if anyone knows the drill there?
Where can I find a school that has the same deal as CLI?
Where is the “foreign police office”?
And is there anything else I have to think of?
/maako

[quote=“maako”]I’m currently on the CLI-project here in Taipei…
It keeps me in the country for six months & costs a small amount every third month (that I can live with).
Since I’m not a native English speaker this is one of the few ways I can stay here. (I’m NOT getting married for an ARC, heeh…)
But now I’m leaving Taipei for Taichung (Taizhong) (Taizhong) and wonder if anyone knows the drill there?
Where can I find a school that has the same deal as CLI?
Where is the “foreign police office”?
And is there anything else I have to think of?
/maako[/quote]

The FAP office is on Wenxin Road, near Zhonggang Road. As for schools, I know Feng Chia and Dong Hai will not be the way to go. Both report to the FAP when their students don’t attend class. I don’t know about TLI however, they have a branch in downtown Taiching near SanMin Road and Taiping Road.

If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Eekk… Well I don’t want to get reported…
If anyone knows of a good school (or another solution) please let me know…

There are two other language school options in Taichung.

The first is TLI. I didn’t like their teaching methods much. You can miss an occasssional class with an excuse but attendance is mandatory. There are no evening classes but there are some noontime ones.

Providence’s annex in downtown Taichung is more or less the same. I hear the teaching is better. Again, you can miss the occassional class but atendance is not optional. Providence mostly has nighttime classes.

The universities are strict and strictly during the daytimes. You can certainly forget teaching kindy if you want to do that, and probably most bushi jobs as well.

Both have roughly the same tuition - about $16 000 a month.

Some people simply make a monthly trip to Taipei and continue with CLI. You have to go to the Taipei police office and have some sort of Taipei address available.

Just offhand, I was once told that the owner of CLI is the wife of the foreign police office captain, which is why they can continue to break the law with such impunity. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

If so, this goes to show one thing that is the same on both sides of the straits, Guanxi talks, BS walks.

Hey, does anyone know why TLI’s page is down? One day it’s up and running, the next day it’s, well, not. I’m trying to sign up for Chinese lessons before I’m in Taiwan, but obviously to no avail…

Would someone please tell me why we should help by giving advice about how to do something illegal.

Not a native speaker: You’re lying to schools and students. Parents pay good money for qualified teachers. It’s plain and simple ripping everyone off.

The universities like Providence are full of this kind of foreigner

Wait, isn’t this guy trying to pay for (chinese) classes in order to stay legal here? CLI and TLI are Chinese/Taiwanese language schools right?

No harm no foul here…I don’t think he’s trying to rip anybody off.

I think you are missing the point. He is looking for those kind of schools that you don’t need to go to classes so as he can do illegal work. There is the foul. No rights to work is ripping people off.

Now that wasn

Please, that is exactly the point. When you are at the school the parents will assume that it’s legal and are a native speaker.

Don’t try and justify it.

However, if the boss is dishonest that’s his problem, as long as you are up front about things.

Good luck.

You’re not a liar then, just illegal

Hi all,

Does anyone know of good and cheap Chinese/Mandarin schools in Taichung? I’ve tried to find something, but they all seem to be affiliated with Uni’s and hence the fees so much higher.

Thank you.

[quote=“Jon”]Hi all,

Does anyone know of good and cheap Chinese/Mandarin schools in Taichung (Taizhong)? I’ve tried to find something, but they all seem to be affiliated with Uni’s and hence the fees so much higher.

Thank you.[/quote]

Some people study here: http://www.tli.com.tw/en/1-1.asp

I’ve been studying there on and off since I arrived here a year and a half ago – I think the materials are excellent and the same can be said of many of their instructors. As far as price goes, it’s a LOT cheaper than studying English…

Zakarius